Can the Etymotic ER-4PT be converted to an Etymotic ER-4S in the same way that the Etymotic ER-4P can?
Nov 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Theownist

New Head-Fier
I am about to pull the trigger on the a pair of ER-4s, and would like to get the 4P, but it can't be found many places, and is always at its MSRP. For this reason, I was looking at the 4PTs, since, correct me if I'm wrong, they're the same as the 4Ps and could therefore be converted to 4s's. I was looking to buy a pair tomorrow, so any input would be appreciated.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 37
4PT is just 4P with better matched driver and an extra airplane adapter , so the answer is YES.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:
4PT is just 4P with better matched driver and an extra airplane adapter , so the answer is YES.

ER4PT has better matched drivers than ER4P? Really? Are there any measurements available that compare the two?

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 37
ER4PT has better matched drivers than ER4P? Really? Are there any measurements available that compare the two?

I believe someone from Etymotic showed a few of the measured FR curve in the forum before, but can't remember which thread they are in any more.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:
Apparently the ER4PT come with channel matching graphs signed by the engineer...

Every pair of ER4 ever made has a channel matching graph, but only with ER4PT that Ety decided to include it into the package.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 37
Cool! I should've bought the PT version... I wonder if I could maybe request the graph for my regular ER4. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 37
I am confused about a few things regarding ER4. Can you guys help me verify my understanding and make corrections:

1) The ER4P/T is "easier to drive" than the ER4S, due to lower impedance, so in simple words the ER4P/T "sounds better" than the ER4S when you don't have an amp.
2) With an amp, the ER4S will sound better than then ER4P/T ?
3) Does the ER4P/T still benefit from an amp? If i plan to amp the ER4P/T, should I consider using the cable to add impedance to make it into an ER4S?

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:
I am confused about a few things regarding ER4. Can you guys help me verify my understanding and make corrections:

1) The ER4P/T is "easier to drive" than the ER4S, due to lower impedance, so in simple words the ER4P/T "sounds better" than the ER4S when you don't have an amp.
2) With an amp, the ER4S will sound better than then ER4P/T ?
3) Does the ER4P/T still benefit from an amp? If i plan to amp the ER4P/T, should I consider using the cable to add impedance to make it into an ER4S?

1) Yes, 4PT is easier to drive than 4S, but mainly because you might not get enough volume on 4S. If your source is competent to driver 4S to decent volume without an amp, I'll still say 4S is better sounding the 4PR.

2) IMO, yes.

3) No much. I'll definitely go with an impedance adapter. That's how I have been using my 4P.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 37
Thanks!

So if volume is not a problem, the 4S is still better sounding un-amped. Also benefits more from amping as I guessed.

I was leaning towards 4S cause its cheaper from Amazon. You add the adaptor price on top of 4P and its quite expensive.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 37
It's hard to observe when look at specs include impedance, sensitivity and frequency response like on Klipsch image X10, RE0 are high impedance IEMs but they get very loud out of iPods, Clip+ and many users recommended here AMPs to get loud volume from RE0 and I don't think it need any AMPs help to get very loud but overall soundquality improve with more volume. Same goes with these like ER4P get louder and also improve with AMPs help but ER4S realy take benifits of Amping them and they can still be drive by iPods with good volume.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:
Thanks!

So if volume is not a problem, the 4S is still better sounding un-amped. Also benefits more from amping as I guessed.

I was leaning towards 4S cause its cheaper from Amazon. You add the adaptor price on top of 4P and its quite expensive.

You might not want to get the official P-to-S adapter from Etymotic in that case. You can find alternative on eBay that works almost as good as the one from Etymotic. I am using the one by eBay seller Awwan (AW Audio)

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

You might not want to get the official P-to-S adapter from Etymotic in that case. You can find alternative on eBay that works almost as good as the one from Etymotic. I am using the one by eBay seller Awwan (AW Audio)

Thanks !!!   I bought the converter from Awwan, I like how its a plug rather than a cable. Which i can have plugged into the amp =D

I ended up pulling the trigger on the ER4P instead of PT because it was $250 on Amazon instead of $280.  I saw the ER4S for $220 but I was not sure if it was an authorized Etymotic reseller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back