Can Somebody Explain?
Sep 8, 2010 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CodyZ532

New Head-Fier
Okay, I am looking to buy some phones for just over 100$ as I am on a budget because I'm 17.

First my current setup is my PC that just has onboard audio (realtek alc889a) and this goes unused as I have my PS3, PC, and dish box all hooked up to the same monitor through my onkyo 6100, av receiver (ht-r667). I use my onkyo 6100 7.1 for games, movies, tv, music, etc. but now I would like to use headphones aswell for when I need to keep it down.

What I'm looking for is...
1) A good sound stage for gaming so I can distinguish the space between footsteps.
2) All around balanced performer with slight emphasis on gaming, but obviously within the limited budget, preferably something that was orginally pricier, but has dropped with time.
3) I'm going to be putting a clip on mic. for gaming, PC and PS3 (any suggestions on which mic?)

So, what I am looking at is the Audio Technica ath-ad700 and the sennheiser hd555's.

What I was wondering is with my current setup do I need a amp/soundcard, anything like that? How should I hook it up, through my receiver?, through my PC?

Or should I look in a completely different direction for my specific needs? Any suggestions?

I understand that the amp/soundcard would put me over 100$ but I can save. Sorry I'm new so I dont know exactly how to wire everything to get the best performance.

Thanks a lot.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 4
Another popular pair you should read up on in that price range is the Audio Technica M50.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the quick reply, and I will definatley give those a look, I didn't make it as clear as I should have but the main thing I want to know is how to setup my phones for the best performance when it comes to the source and being able to use them for my PS3 and PC.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 4
After some research, I have read that the while the M50's are great phones they are lacking in the sound stage department which is neccesary for me due to gaming.  I have heard the ad700 has a superb soundstage however.  Should I move my thread to a source related forum because that is my real question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back