Can i use Dragonfly black as an amp for turntable?
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mrgrinch

New Head-Fier
So I have a question. Is it possible to use Dragonfly black as an amplifier for a turntable if the turntable has a phono preamp inside? I was thinking something like using RCA to female USB cable - dragonfly - headphones. Or would it be possible to use USB turntable and stick the dragonfly into the usb output, i have read somewhere that usb turntables sound like crap though.
Thanks

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 2
So I have a question. Is it possible to use Dragonfly black as an amplifier for a turntable if the turntable has a phono preamp inside? I was thinking something like using RCA to female USB cable - dragonfly - headphones. Or would it be possible to use USB turntable and stick the dragonfly into the usb output, i have read somewhere that usb turntables sound like crap though.
Thanks

You can't. First off, the Dragonfly has to take USB digital input. That cable isn't going to convert the analogue TT signal into digital without an ADC, not to mention the Dragonfly uses USB power, which that cable also does not have.

Second, even if you use an ADC circuit that can convert on the fly to use with the Dragonfly (as opposed to phono preamps that can convert them to FLAC or ALAC to use on portable systems), why? Vinyl is already in analogue. If you're going to be listening at home (instead of not having to buy a digital copy of what you already have on analogue) then just get a proper headphone amp with analogue inputs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back