Can I Buy A Single IE8 Headphone??
Jan 21, 2011 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bigtim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Anyone know if it's possible to buy a single IE8 headphone? I've managed to snap the stem that goes into the ear off one of them. Really annoyed at myself as I did exactly the same thing with a pair of SE530's a couple of years ago. Both were done trying to remove Comply tips which had probably been on a little too long.

I bought the IE8s in early 2009 so I imagine they won't be covered by warranty?

As the IE8s have a detachable cable I figured I might be able to replace just the broken one but haven't found anywhere that sells just one. All suggestions greatfully received!

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 9
     Quote:
I bought the IE8s in early 2009 so I imagine they won't be covered by warranty?

Sennheiser's warranty is 2 years for the IE8; provided you bought them from an authorised retailer that is.

Did the stem come off in one piece? if it did and they dont cover it, you may be able to get away with using an epoxy. I have used epoxy for various repairs (including a broken side mirror on my friends car). that stuff basically forces plastic surfaces to bond to eachother

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 9
Ooh, a 2yr warranty? I'll re-double my efforts to locate the paperwork. The only thing I've found was an e-mail in Jan '09 that I was looking for some. It would have been an authorised dealer so I'll get onto that.

If not I'll look into epoxy resins as I love my IE8s.

Thanks aleki

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Ooh, a 2yr warranty? I'll re-double my efforts to locate the paperwork. The only thing I've found was an e-mail in Jan '09 that I was looking for some. It would have been an authorised dealer so I'll get onto that.

If not I'll look into epoxy resins as I love my IE8s.

Thanks aleki

no problem. if you manage to locate the receipt and submit an RMA, try to ask for an advanced replacement. I've heard sennheiser can be really slow to turn-around RMA's.

As for the epoxy, well the stuff I use is a Cyannoacrylate; otherwise known as the fast curing adhesive. That stuff works great on small gadgets. Just be careful on the application and apply sparingly.
PS: that stuff will adhere to your skin in under a second. so take care if you are applying barehanded; otherwise be prepared to lose a layer.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the help guys, I now have a new pair of IE8s, however, I haven't opened them yet.....

In the Sennheiser's absence I've been using an old pair of Shure E2c's. I was never that keen on them put a recent purchase of a Fiio E5 + LOD has given them extra body and bass. I've realised that with the IE8s the complys were gaving me the bass I like but probably muddied the mids and trebles. I've been impressed with the details on the E2c and with a little help from the Fiio they are nice to listen to.

I worked out that in the last 6 years i've broken:

1 pair of UE Super-Fi 5 Pros
1 pair of Shure SE530s
2 pairs of Sennhieser IE8s

With this in mind I think I'll sell the IE8s and go for something more suited to my clumsy heavy-handedness. Got a bit more searching to do but the Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii are looking sweet.

Thanks again
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 9
glad to know sennheiser stepped up and replaced your IE8's. anywho, HD25 1-ii's are a great choice for portable use, 100% plastic construction for durability...somehow it escapes all negative connotations that many associate with objects made of plastic. durability shouldn't be a problem.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 9

I recently auditioned some IE8's that my friend bought 2 weeks ago. I wasnt too crazy about their SS, but people have mentioned they open up significantly after 200 hours or so. Compared to the Sennheisers, I feel my Monster Turbine Copper's are superior in virtually every way. The Copper has really nice textured bass, and clarity that sounds really refreshing; they almost have that TF10 treble. For around $200, they are a bargain 
duggehsmile.png

PS: they come with a lifetime warranty from Monster, and a 1 time "your fault" replacement

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, I now have a new pair of IE8s, however, I haven't opened them yet.....

In the Sennheiser's absence I've been using an old pair of Shure E2c's. I was never that keen on them put a recent purchase of a Fiio E5 + LOD has given them extra body and bass. I've realised that with the IE8s the complys were gaving me the bass I like but probably muddied the mids and trebles. I've been impressed with the details on the E2c and with a little help from the Fiio they are nice to listen to.

I worked out that in the last 6 years i've broken:

1 pair of UE Super-Fi 5 Pros
1 pair of Shure SE530s
2 pairs of Sennhieser IE8s

With this in mind I think I'll sell the IE8s and go for something more suited to my clumsy heavy-handedness. Got a bit more searching to do but the Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii are looking sweet.

Thanks again
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

In the Sennheiser's absence I've been using an old pair of Shure E2c's. I was never that keen on them put a recent purchase of a Fiio E5 + LOD has given them extra body and bass.
Thanks again
bigsmile_face.gif

YES! I never use my Shure SCL4s without my Fiio E5. For me that's the real reason for that little headphone amp: to add warmth and bass to headphones that otherwise sound too thin on my equalizer-less iPod. 

I've got a set of Monster Turbines on order. I'm hoping their sound signature and added bass will allow me to free myself of the Fiio E5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back