Can frequency graph and harmonic distortion graph accurate determine the sound quality of headphone?
Aug 18, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #16 of 18
the other headfier makes a fair point about imd being more apparent than thdn, but if hp have a 5 or 10 pct thdn peak somewhere in the fr, you will hear it. i wonder why tyll doesn't measure imd on hp...i mostly see it on sources

as for ex700 and 1000 - ymmv :D. personally, i'd take the funner sounding stax hp over relatively more calm and balanced sr507. and i used to own two ex700... some people just need a little crazy in their ears :D ... i'd be interested to compare the fr of ex1k to um miracle mage and aero, but depending on how measured, they're not necessarily directly comparable.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 18
I don't mind the crazy of the EX700 in my ears svyr 
biggrin.gif
 but after using the EX700 for hours and then trying the EX600 and EX1000, they're really a soothing breath of fresh air in comparison.

The miracle also has that 6kHz emphasis yes, if that's what you meant? I think the EX700 has real issues around the 1kHz region though which doesn't show up on the FR graphs.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 18
Interesting that harmonic distortion does not seem important. Odd-order distortion in particular. Given the likes/dislikes on the overall that prefer for headphones that I've read here it almost sounds like people *prefer* it since it contributes to 'crisp' 'detail' 'bright' 'forward', etc... A brief scan of Headroom I found great results for the Shure, MDV6, and AT A700 -not so much for Sennheiser and Hifiman. Aside from the frequency response I'd think this would be the next important factor for consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back