Can fine tuning a audio equalizer make a $50 headphone sound like $500 bucks?
Sep 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 11
No, because usually lower end headphones also have a big difference in timbre accuracy, overall clarity and dynamics.  However, there's no doubt it'll be substantially improved.  It also highly depends on the headphone.  Some entry headphones are really good, some aren't.  

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 11
There is reason why manufacturer make high end headphones with way better performance and sell them at higher price.

Looked at the title just now, went wondering what if that's true.. the first thing came to my mind: My wallet! (Tears)

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 11
So you're using the Rock EQ? There is no doubt in my mind you are causing your headphones to distort at the bass and treble frequencies. EQ'ing when done properly can yield some great results but will not make $50 dollar headphones sound like $500 headphones.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 11
No. Especially not when you're comparing headphones with completely different driver designs.

Equalizers aren't going to do anything about transient response, soundstage/imaging, or other particular sound qualities you can only get with a better driver and a better-designed enclosure, to say nothing of comfort and build quality.

Whether you find the price difference worth it is something only you can decide, and even then, that only goes for comparing specific models. Some are overpriced, others are arguably underpriced if anything.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 11
Oh absolutely, I like the farty sounds my cans make when I turn all the sliders up, I find the $500 ones do the same thing too

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 11
Oh absolutely, I like the farty sounds my cans make when I turn all the sliders up, I find the $500 ones do the same thing too

tyler_durden_projectionist.jpg

This.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 11
Perhaps not a 10x increase in value but heh I'd say some $50 headphones could compete well with 150~$200 headphones with the optimal EQ settings. There's more to it than frequency response balance but sometimes that may be the factor that holds the headphone back the most and then EQing will help a lot, that's my opinion of XB500 for example. Should be noticed that there's a big difference between different EQs too. Some bad ones might do more damage than benefit. I've heard a lot of EQs and the one I use is very good. You know you got a good quality EQ when you can maximize the sliders on the EQ and it won't distort like hell, just result in higher output volume/more forward sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back