Can Eq without preamp destroy driver?
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

voxreed

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
Can eq without pream in eq apo software destroy driver ? I used headphones without it one month because I didnt know it is useful. I added 5 db in the mids and -8 db in the highs without pream. Now I know preamp is for safety driver, but clipping is only when volume is too high or not?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 23
Hi all,
Can eq without pream in eq apo software destroy driver ? I used headphones without it one month because I don’t know it is useful. I added 5 db in the mids and -8 db in the highs without pream. Now I know preamp is for safety driver, but clipping is only when volume is too high or not?
Yes, clipping is when volume is too high, but what do you think you're doing when you add 5dB in the mids? That means 5db extra volume in the mids.

You can easily destroy a driver by turning up the equalization in bass, if the signal has enough power. Otherwise, it clips pretty quickly doing that. I think it can do that in the mids, too. While an amp possesses more power in the mids than any other frequency, it depends on the circumstances of the load and the reference for the 0dB to which your +5dB has was added. Note that there's an amp of some sort present even if you're only using a source.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 23
Yes, clipping is when volume is too high, but what do you think you're doing when you add 5dB in the mids? That means 5db extra volume in the mids.

You can easily destroy a driver by turning up the equalization in bass, if the signal has enough power. Otherwise, it clips pretty quickly doing that. I think it can do that in the mids, too. While an amp possesses more power in the mids than any other frequency, it depends on the circumstances of the load and the reference for the 0dB to which your +5dB has was added. Note that there's an amp of some sort present even if you're only using a source.
But I never go high with volume knob on my xduoo xD-05 plus on low gain knob was on max 50% and never heard any destruction or noise, it’s after that possible get some destroy in the driver?

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 23
But I never go high with volume knob on my xduoo xD-05 plus on low gain knob was on max 50% and never heard any destruction or noise, it’s after that possible get some destroy in the driver?

Even if you didn't crank up the system volume too high, the drivers are operating at a louder volume at and around that frequency you boosted than if you didn't. Think of it like modding an engine until you get double the horsepower - even if you don't go Fast N Furious on that car living life a quarter mile at a time or stressing the chassis at every corner you have to adjust how you use the throttle, because if you depressed the throttle at the same gear you'd be going faster and slam into the car in front. Maintenance cycles will be shorter too.

If you're not into cars, think of it like pushing more voltage into your CPU and GPU to stabilize a much higher clock speed. You might not run Furmark on it nor put on LN2 to beat 3D Mark scores, but that extra voltage will at minimum dry out the thermal paste faster at the same gaming workload. Forget to change that thermal paste and soon enough you'll start seeing it throttle down regardless of the rad surface area in your loop.

There's no hard and fast rule in any of these situations but the point is your system volume isn't a good indicator of "not pushing it hard" since well all have different standards for how loud it is and how well we perceive distortion and noise. Introducing EQ and boosting adds one more variable to that. Boosting basically introduces more of that frequency into the signal in order to force the driver to do what it normally can not. By contrast cutting the frequency makes the driver works less, even if it's just trimming a peak ie what it normally does too easily vs the other freqs.

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 23
But this is digital clipping not analog clipping. When producent gives mic closer to the singer distortion is higher or some producents gives destruction to the songs for effects like flume. This might be same with Eq logically it can’t destroy driver because it’s just digital clipping in windows it’s just added destruction to songs... there is what say metal571: “Lol no Windows will compress the dynamic range of the music if you don’t compensate with preamp gain however “ after that month I can’t say I heart destruction, but I might be wrong.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 23
Even if you didn't crank up the system volume too high, the drivers are operating at a louder volume at and around that frequency you boosted than if you didn't. Think of it like modding an engine until you get double the horsepower - even if you don't go Fast N Furious on that car living life a quarter mile at a time or stressing the chassis at every corner you have to adjust how you use the throttle, because if you depressed the throttle at the same gear you'd be going faster and slam into the car in front. Maintenance cycles will be shorter too.

If you're not into cars, think of it like pushing more voltage into your CPU and GPU to stabilize a much higher clock speed. You might not run Furmark on it nor put on LN2 to beat 3D Mark scores, but that extra voltage will at minimum dry out the thermal paste faster at the same gaming workload. Forget to change that thermal paste and soon enough you'll start seeing it throttle down regardless of the rad surface area in your loop.

There's no hard and fast rule in any of these situations but the point is your system volume isn't a good indicator of "not pushing it hard" since well all have different standards for how loud it is and how well we perceive distortion and noise. Introducing EQ and boosting adds one more variable to that. Boosting basically introduces more of that frequency into the signal in order to force the driver to do what it normally can not. By contrast cutting the frequency makes the driver works less, even if it's just trimming a peak ie what it normally does too easily vs the other freqs.
For all here https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf. Clipping and destruction is something else.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 23
Hi all,
Can eq without pream in eq apo software destroy driver ? I used headphones without it one month because I didnt know it is useful. I added 5 db in the mids and -8 db in the highs without pream. Now I know preamp is for safety driver, but clipping is only when volume is too high or not?
It could in theory but not in the way you use it. Basically, the EQ in itself doesn't strain your drivers. The actual thing that matters for the headphones is the analog signal level that goes into your headphones. If that level is too high, you can damage both your ears and your headphones. This is why I think your drivers are fine, you could probably notice if the music got too loud after the EQ-ing.

Now, if you boosted some frequencies you can't really hear, like 10-20Hz or 20kHz-22kHz, you could boost these frequencies to the point it blows your driver but you wouldn't really notice a huge difference in sound levels.

Also, the reason people use a preamp with an EQ is because if you actually boosted the digital signal levels you would most likely also clip it, since most music is already peaking at the maximum digital signal level.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 23
It could in theory but not in the way you use it. Basically, the EQ in itself doesn't strain your drivers. The actual thing that matters for the headphones is the analog signal level that goes into your headphones. If that level is too high, you can damage both your ears and your headphones. This is why I think your drivers are fine, you could probably notice if the music got too loud after the EQ-ing.

Now, if you boosted some frequencies you can't really hear, like 10-20Hz or 20kHz-22kHz, you could boost these frequencies to the point it blows your driver but you wouldn't really notice a huge difference in sound levels.

Also, the reason people use a preamp with an EQ is because if you actually boosted the digital signal levels you would most likely also clip it, since most music is already peaking at the maximum digital signal level.
So it’s after test with oscilloscope from 0hz to 22khz and I didn’t notice any destruction without eq after all so drivers are probably fine. Maybe tomorrow I send here video

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 23

While digital clipping and actual power clipping are different boosting a freq whether with an analogue EQ or DSP can still result in the latter.

Now while I doubt the amount OP used was enough to do that, it still depends on the hardware. 1000w Class D monoblocs in a car driving one subwoofer can more likely take a +6dB bass preamp output boost (relative to the midrange output) off its DSP unit and cranked up to crack the windows before the whole run is finished, but use a wideband EQ boost on the DSP unit, remove the subs, and run a 75w per channel amp to drive the midwoofers without a high pass filter as when there was a sub, and you're not likely to get as far not just in actual system output but in how much you can boost before those midwoofers have an audible problem. Keep it up and it will be more than audible, it will actually damage the driver.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 23
While digital clipping and actual power clipping are different boosting a freq whether with an analogue EQ or DSP can still result in the latter.

Now while I doubt the amount OP used was enough to do that, it still depends on the hardware. 1000w Class D monoblocs in a car driving one subwoofer can more likely take a +6dB bass preamp output boost (relative to the midrange output) off its DSP unit and cranked up to crack the windows before the whole run is finished, but use a wideband EQ boost on the DSP unit, remove the subs, and run a 75w per channel amp to drive the midwoofers without a high pass filter as when there was a sub, and you're not likely to get as far not just in actual system output but in how much you can boost before those midwoofers have an audible problem. Keep it up and it will be more than audible, it will actually damage the driver.
What the **** u talking about? It’s just Eq that can only brings destruction. Think about Sony headphones they have eq app for it. Asus rog have eq for there products in their soundcards , eq is in the expensive TVs like LG oled or consoles... creative labs and more, but they have limits max i thing 10-15 db there is no preamp it logically brings destruction. Clipping is only when you go beyond limits with Eq.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #11 of 23
What the **** u talking about? It’s just Eq that can only brings destruction.

What the **** reading comprehension is that. I said exactly that - at some point you can apply too much boost.

Think about Sony headphones they have eq app for it. Asus rog have eq for there products in their soundcards , eq is in the expensive TVs like LG oled or consoles... creative labs and more, but they have limits max i thing 10-15 db...

I can hear drivers bottoming out on TVs where the software was already designed by whoever put the hardware together, so no, the limit doesn't always help.

there is no preamp it logically brings destruction. Clipping is only when you go beyond limits with Eq.

You don't need an active preamp boosting the whole signal by several volts to stress the drivers.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 23
What the **** reading comprehension is that. I said exactly that - at some point you can apply too much boost.

I can hear drivers bottoming out on TVs where the software was already designed by whoever put the hardware together, so no, the limit doesn't always help.

You don't need an active preamp boosting the whole signal by several volts to stress the drivers.
Ok :D I found maximum input power to my headphones on 25 ohm max 1800mw. So if i don’t exceed the limit the headphones will be ok.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 23
Could it be that when you mention preamp, you mean the preamp gain inside equalizer APO?

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 23
Ok :D I found maximum input power to my headphones on 25 ohm max 1800mw. So if i don’t exceed the limit the headphones will be ok.

You can hook up a totally powerful amp to a weak driver and not destroy it in the same way that you can buy a modified car with almost double the power and yet not destroy it every time you step on the throttle because in the end it's more about how you step on the throttle and not crashing into anything.

I have a 75w X 2 amp in my car driver Vifa tweeters rated at 25w each; but my preamp output on those is set to -4dB to compensate for their higher sensitivity (93dB/1w, 1m) relative to the 75w rated 6.75in midwoofers on a 150w X 2 amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back