Can distortion even at low volume damage cans?
Jun 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zoolzoo

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to my MS2i's through a Magni/Modi stack. They don't handle really low frequencies very well. Sometimes even at low to medium volume levels certain bass frequencies will garble them up a bit....like a strong climax at the end of a drum crescendo in classical music, or a big bass hit in electronic music. It really does depend on the source material though, it doesn't always do this.

Anyway, does this actually harm the headphone drivers in anyway? I always wondered that. It sure sounds nasty enough.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Is their any dust or hair on the drivers? Probably that or just the source music you listen to is the issue. You can confirm if it's the headphone's fault or the music by playing some flat bass tones on a frequency generator (just be careful with volume).

I'm not sure if the distortion is bad even at low volumes but I hope the troubleshootings tips I gave helped.

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 7
  I mainly listen to my MS2i's through a Magni/Modi stack. They don't handle really low frequencies very well. Sometimes even at low to medium volume levels certain bass frequencies will garble them up a bit....like a strong climax at the end of a drum crescendo in classical music, or a big bass hit in electronic music. It really does depend on the source material though, it doesn't always do this.

Anyway, does this actually harm the headphone drivers in anyway? I always wondered that. It sure sounds nasty enough.

I think it's very unlikely, if not impossible, for distortion to harm your headphones without also being very uncomfortably LOUD. I guess lots of DC offset could, but that's a different issue and you can't really hear that.

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 7
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/675#post_10649078

They don't handle really low frequencies very well. Sometimes even at low to medium volume levels certain bass frequencies will garble them up a bit....like a strong climax at the end of a drum crescendo in classical music, or a big bass hit in electronic music. It really does depend on the source material though, it doesn't always do this.

http://jaben.com.my/alessandro-ms2i-review-laxsar
 Bass test:

Tight, controlled bass. MS2i let's me enjoy the non-sibilant snares and cymbals without getting slapped on the face with artificial and over the top 20-200hz bass. Again, the layers of instruments weaves nicely 'all around' in front of the bass. It's not punchy, and It doesn't vibrate on the ears like some cheap closed cans. Let's face it, if you choose vented cans, you're already looking for accurate sounding headphones with decent bass.
On Tinie Tempah - Pass Out and The Crystal Method - Born too Slow, there is a clear distinction on the bass, the bass presence is well defined and nicely mixed and separated (bear in mind my MS2i isn't fully burnt in yet). On Massive Attack - Angel, a track I like to test out bass on, the bass is well defined, it's a track that has the punchiest bass for me. Truly, for bassheads that prefer chest thumping and ear lobe vibrating bass, the MS2i would probably be a poor choice. 

Not sure of the driver size of freq chart but these might just not be meant to deliver solid notes below 40ish Hz?

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 7
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/675#post_10649078

http://jaben.com.my/alessandro-ms2i-review-laxsar

Not sure of the driver size of freq chart but these might just not be meant to deliver solid notes below 40ish Hz?

Yah, your pretty much right. The bass they do handle well presented...I know they arent bass heavy cans. I was just wondering if that low end distortion can damage anything in the long run. Doesn't look its a big deal within reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back