'Can Con' Sydney meet 10/07 Unique Melody, i-enjoy.com.au, Jaben Australia, Twisted Cables & Krispy Kables to join us~ Major prize giveaway by Jaben Aus~
Jun 6, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #301 of 670

Hi, nice to see everyone is replying lots.
As many others, I'll bring gear worth a few thousands. Couple of things:

A) I'm strongly in favor of increasing the entry $15 (or even $20) that still very reasonable making it easier to organize and also keep more of the "not really interested" people further away from expensive gear.
Also to ask for drivers license once on entry. 

B) May we work out the meet lay out.
I'm looking (as I suppose most of us do) forward to both:
1) Show and discuss my gear with others. So, I have to stay around the ring. No big deal.
2) Have a look at every one else's gear. So I'll walk around (or went the toilet LOL) mmm...  
confused.gif

Say, we separate Portable and Desktop Gear and then keep them grouped them by price (which is also an indication of "being interested in"). Yes, Its going to be people that bring a mix of portable and desktop, then just by price.

Then to go around anyone could leave the ring:
                1) Un-attended, Should I print some RED "PLEASE, WAIT FOR THE OWNER TO LISTEN TO THE GEAR" A4 Sheets
                2) With someone else. Everyone's neighbors have similar gear and price range (as per lay out)
                3) Lock the Gear somewhere, I think there is no such lockers, may be a "safe room"?

C) Still we need to remember that here we are open to anyone on the internet so Addresses, Phones etc Please PM.

Well, may be a bit over the top but maybe not.

Cheers,
PS: If we need printing in Laser color or B/W for the cards organization etc. I can do it for free. Please PM.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #302 of 670
now see, thats exactly what i didnt have in mind. i dont think its helpful to anyone (or even meaningful) to separate based on the cost of an item, or portable and home, that would mean i had something in both sides. your gear is nice, but pretty standard gear for the meets, if you feel that you need to hang around, do, but if you are hanging around to protect your investment, i really dont know that you will get that many visitors.

last year for example Erwin sent about 20k+ worth of stuff (minimum) along and didnt even come. as long as people are respectful and use their head, it'll be fine. my main concern was strangers that dont have any experience with quality gear, or the possibility of people that nobody really knows slipping through.

a high end section makes sense, but there are things worth not a heap of money that i would consider high end, due to rarity, or awesomeness . also labeling with price could have an effect on how people react to the sound, or at least what they say about it. if people are interested they'll ask, or google it later

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #303 of 670

Quote:
Some other things I've seen from pictures and descriptions were "gear cards" as well as name cards, which people write about the rig being displayed. They have on them, by default "Quiet please" or something along those lines as we all get excited and want to talk a lot.

Some instructions on the back of name cards, such as

"Please ask first before changing anything in a rig beyond the volume/playing music."
"Please turn the volume back to zero after listening."
"Please make sure amps are off and the volume at zero before plugging/un-plugging headphones."
"Please keep your voice down near the rigs so people can listen."
"Don't forget your CD's etc. when you've finished listening."
"Have you labelled all your gear?"

There are also quite a few guides on how to set up computer gaming meets and quite a bit of the info in those will apply, though you wont be using anywhere near as much power I'd think. The vendors I'm sure will help out with suggestions as they will have been to quite a few meets themselves.

Hmm... very interesting idea. Maybe I`ll provide each table with A4 papers and black marker and tapes. Although they is possibility that tape will leave residue on the gear.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #304 of 670
>last year for example Erwin sent about 20k+ worth of stuff (minimum) along and didnt even come. as long as people are respectful and use their head, it'll be fine. my main concern was strangers that dont have any experience with quality gear, or the possibility of people that nobody really knows slipping through.

And I have his K1000 BH + the silicon chip amp on loan. He's epically awesome :D

>Although they is possibility that tape will leave residue on the gear.

The genuine scotch one does not (especially for a short time), at least on all the surfaces I used it.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #305 of 670
ok ok, so far the meets have been nice and orderly and there was no need for this security issue to be raised. And I do not think we need to consider this at all. A lot of the members are regular meet attendees and they had no problems with bringing their gears to the meet. Even the first timers are respectful and understand that they are previleged to be able trying out different gears in one place and are careful.
In regards to an "evil alien" who is just at the meet to destroy and steal other attendee`s equipment, it is highly unlikely since it is on sunday, at hornsby and not free.
Plus the tables will be arranged so that 8-10 members will be grouped together. One member could remain behind and mind other members' gears and take turns. (Distributors will be paired, two tables together, due to limited power points. But due to expected high traffic, either myself or my brother will be near by to mind their products should they need to move around.)

And honestly, I have only been to one meet, so far, but the atmosphere and culture is one that do not require excessive concern.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #306 of 670

Quote:
>last year for example Erwin sent about 20k+ worth of stuff (minimum) along and didnt even come. as long as people are respectful and use their head, it'll be fine. my main concern was strangers that dont have any experience with quality gear, or the possibility of people that nobody really knows slipping through.

And I have his K1000 BH + the silicon chip amp on loan. He's epically awesome
biggrin.gif

>Although they is possibility that tape will leave residue on the gear.

The genuine scotch one does not (especially for a short time), at least on all the surfaces I used it.

Ummm... budget do not allow for genuine scotch tapes.... T T.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #307 of 670

Ummm... budget do not allow for genuine scotch tapes.... T T.

all we need is 1-2 rolls :wink: and raising the fee to $15 isn't that big of a deal, considering people can potentially save $$$ by buying gear they've listened to (and that they don't have to resell after they don't like (of course YMMV since you're listening to systems (sourcedachp), but it is a good idea none-the-less))

>I have only been to one meet, so far, but the atmosphere and culture is one that do not require excessive concern.

+1

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #308 of 670
Ok, sowwy people~ I am going to raise the fee to $15. However, if you can`t afford it, then pm me before hand, and will make a note to charge only $10.
Hope this resolves tag along issue and now we can afford scorch tapes~
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #309 of 670
i think you seem to be struggling with the middle ground. you have not been to a meet like this one and neither have I, because we havent had one this large before in Australia. so i do not think that security as a rule should be dismissed, generally we look after each other and equipment, but generally they have been small enough and hardcore/tight-knit enough, to not worry so much. this one has been launched with quite a different angle and with quite a lot of different factors.a meet at John's house in the mountains and this, are entirely different animals, just the fact that with this it will be possible to be well out of sight of your rig makes it different

all the same, i think as long as it is pretty much limited to forum members, contact details are shared, people are known, or the few guests are vouched for directly and everyone looks after each other we'll be fine, It should not be approached in the same way as last year, we do need to come up with a systematic way of handling responsibility. i think it would be unusual for a high end, or manufacturers area to be left unattended without at least a senior member present, but that situation should not be allowed to happen, no matter how cool and friendly we think the crowd is, 

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #310 of 670

Quote:

Hi, nice to see everyone is replying lots.
As many others, I'll bring gear worth a few thousands. Couple of things:

A) I'm strongly in favor of increasing the entry $15 (or even $20) that still very reasonable making it easier to organize and also keep more of the "not really interested" people further away from expensive gear.
Also to ask for drivers license once on entry. 

B) May we work out the meet lay out.
I'm looking (as I suppose most of us do) forward to both:
1) Show and discuss my gear with others. So, I have to stay around the ring. No big deal.
2) Have a look at every one else's gear. So I'll walk around (or went the toilet LOL) mmm...  
confused.gif

Say, we separate Portable and Desktop Gear and then keep them grouped them by price (which is also an indication of "being interested in"). Yes, Its going to be people that bring a mix of portable and desktop, then just by price.

Then to go around anyone could leave the ring:
                1) Un-attended, Should I print some RED "PLEASE, WAIT FOR THE OWNER TO LISTEN TO THE GEAR" A4 Sheets
                2) With someone else. Everyone's neighbors have similar gear and price range (as per lay out)
                3) Lock the Gear somewhere, I think there is no such lockers, may be a "safe room"?

C) Still we need to remember that here we are open to anyone on the internet so Addresses, Phones etc Please PM.

Well, may be a bit over the top but maybe not.

Cheers,
PS: If we need printing in Laser color or B/W for the cards organization etc. I can do it for free. Please PM.

a) I have increased the fee to $15 but I wont be asking for driver`s license. And there wont be the need.
b) The tables will be grouped so that 8-10 members will be sitting together.  And if security is of concern one member can volunteer to stay while other members go to look around and also you will get the opportunity to talk about your gear with people when they come around to your table.
c) it is open to anyone on the internet and I will be getting the details at the registration but wont be sharing them with other members. Unless of course a reason do arise to contact the member directly.

and yes plz do print RED "PLEASE, WAIT FOR THE OWNER TO LISTEN TO THE GEAR" A4 Sheets about 20 of them.
And 10 each of:
"Please ask first before changing anything in a rig beyond the volume/playing music."
"Please turn the volume back to zero after listening."
"Please make sure amps are off and the volume at zero before plugging/un-plugging headphones."

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #311 of 670
bare in mind that at any trade show with this much gear, they would be thinking security right off the bat and you would be seen to be stupid not to.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #312 of 670
open to anyone on the internet? ok, look i'm going to leave it up to you. but registering at the door leaves it open to everyone off the street, anyone off the street without security concerns me. or do you just mean after registering interest in coming along on the forum, you register at the door and give your forum handle and whatever other details you deem necessary?

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #313 of 670
>b) The tables will be grouped so that 8-10 members will be sitting together.

lol, how big are the tables? last year (mel meet) I brought enough gear to fill and entire table all on my own :)

>asking for driver`s license

I wouldn't consider photo ID entirely unreasonable. Although not in the 'we're safe now' manner :)

>and yes plz do print RED "PLEASE, WAIT FOR THE OWNER TO LISTEN TO THE GEAR" A4 Sheets about 20 of them. And 10 each of:

Might be an idea to make one with 'FRAGILE XYZ' (headband, cord, vol knob, etc...)

>but registering at the door leaves it open to everyone off the street, anyone off the street without security concerns me

*cut* doesn't make us safer, I know, but I'd feel safer with venue details on rego though.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #314 of 670
yeah i know, i was thinking that as i typed it, but it would still have to be done beforehand, rather than just being able to rock up, give a fake email address and get in. at least that way its confirmed. ID to me is totally reasonable, you have to show ID to borrow a bloody 10 dollar DVD

my posts may seem a bit paranoid, but this is the world we live in and to not even cover ourselves as much as a basic every day business that deals in goods that are a quantum leap lower value would seem asking for it

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #315 of 670
okay, so, basically. to feel assured in summary:

- Must be registered before attending here in this forum and provide with all the details through PM.

- Must present photo id at registration at the venue or have someone with photo id vouch for that attendee

- Need to hire security guards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back