Can anyone recommend some great ambient music for studying?
Sep 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #16 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - anything.

not sure if i would classify them as ambient though i do love them. i guess they have ambient aspects but the climax portion of their songs would take away from studying and reading. they refuse to remain background music.

give the album playthroughs by keith fullerton whitman a spin as well. it's worthy.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #17 of 79
I'll third or fourth (or whatever) the Brian Eno recommendations. Sibelius has some minimalist work you might enjoy, too, and I like Tangerine Dream, too.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 79
Dang thanks for all the recommendations of these guys I've never heard of. Going to take a good chunk of the weekend sampling everything you guys put down, should be fun. =)

Also if anyone has more please keep them coming!

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 79
William Basinski and the Disintegration Loops I-IV are worth a try, while it may sound too odd. I found it perfect, just perfect for studies.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #23 of 79
How could I forget -

Vir Unis
James Johnson

But not their collaborations, which tend more toward Vir Unis' rhythmic 'fractal groove' style.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #24 of 79
Erm...
Selected ambient works aphex twin
the orb
susuma yokota
fsol
Amorphous Androgynous
Soma FM Digitalis

etc...

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #25 of 79
Selected Ambient Works Volume II - Aphex Twin
smily_headphones1.gif

093624548225 | Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 CD BOXSET

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #26 of 79
You really can't go wrong with Brian Eno's ambient masterpieces. My favorite is Discreet Music, but the "Ambient" series (particularly "Music for Airports") is also quite relaxing and pretty.

Personally I study with no music, because I get too distracted, no matter what I'm listening to.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really can't go wrong with Brian Eno's ambient masterpieces. My favorite is Discreet Music, but the "Ambient" series (particularly "Music for Airports") is also quite relaxing and pretty...

I'll 2nd that. Also, check out the Bang on a Can remake of Music for Airports. It's true to the original version, but done with real musicians and instruments for better overall sound quality.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #28 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll 2nd that. Also, check out the Bang on a Can remake of Music for Airports. It's true to the original version, but done with real musicians and instruments for better overall sound quality.

An ensemble from Canada did this same thing to Eno's "Discreet Music" at this year's Bang on a Can marathon in Manhattan. The results were stunning, obviously, but I was most surprised to discover how few musicians they needed to perform it: only 5!

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #30 of 79
the brian eno suggestions are intriguing me. i've heard of him...havent heard his stuff...is that ambient stuff he did the type of music you could put on and fall asleep to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back