Can anyone recommend some great ambient music for studying?
Sep 13, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by basic-chanel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure there are any quality recommendations to give here, as the best ambient music out there requires active listening.

Agree in principle but are you saying that recommendations in this thread are muzak? Never heard anything in this thread in a lift
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #47 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercbuggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree in principle but are you saying that recommendations in this thread are muzak? Never heard anything in this thread in a lift
wink.gif

Not at all; in fact, it's sad to see things like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Pete Namlook, Bill Laswell, Biosphere, etc. as recommendations for background music.

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Not at all; in fact, it's sad to see things like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Pete Namlook, Bill Laswell, Biosphere, etc. as recommendations for background music.

Depends on the perception of background. I do find ambient useful when I need to focus on something (work or study), to filter out distraction. I experience ambient as a complimentary 'atmosphere' not background in this case. On the other hand I also enjoy the same process when enjoying ambient itself but as a compliment to relaxation, although I prefer speaker-fi (for soundstage) to head-fi for this genre unless I am travelling (portable tranquility). I agree and hope this thread is beyond 'incidental accompaniment'.

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

I'm not sure there are any quality recommendations to give here, as the best ambient music out there requires active listening.

Eno said that ambient "must be as ignorable as it is interesting" and I think that's the key to great ambient music. It doesn't require complete attention and can be used as background music, however, active listening and concentration is needed to fully appreciate ambient music and the more attention you give to it, the more it reveals.

Here are some of my recommendations;

Akira Kosemura - It's On Everything
Bruno Sanfilippo - Piano Textures
Gel Sol - IZ
Goldmund - Corduroy Road
Goldmund - The Malady Of Elegance
Gus Till - Aquana Vol. 1 Stillness
Helios - Unomia
Muhr - Nulla Lullabies
Stars of the Lid - Avec Laudenum

I think that these albums can be listening to without any attention and can help you to focus on the job in hand but they really do deserve a proper listen and you'll get so much more from them this way.

The podcasts over at Low Light Mixes might be useful for the OP too.

P.S. First post.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by deekh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eno said that ambient "must be as ignorable as it is interesting" and I think that's the key to great ambient music.

I disagree; I find that Eno's approach allows for a level of forgetability to the music, which to me is never a good quality to have when it comes to any art form.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

I disagree; I find that Eno's approach allows for a level of forgetability to the music, which to me is never a good quality to have when it comes to any art form.

I understood he sees himself as a 'non-musician', perhaps this is reflective of his 'art' too??
ph34r.gif

It does seem that if Ambient is a 'modification' of an environment or space then perhaps in a pure sense it isn't supposed to be a fully active experience?

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #53 of 79
This is where I say I am lucky to live in New York City. I don't say it that often so take it for what its worth. Every night from 12am - 3am there is this program on 90.7 fm called, "Echoes". It is all ambient music and I love it. It really helps me to fall asleep and it relaxes me. They have their own website and I have bought many recommended CD's from them. If you need more information, let me know. Good luck.
Echoes: Ambient Music on Public Radio

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #54 of 79
"Perhaps we cannot raise the winds. But each of us can put up the sail, so that when the wind comes we can catch it." - E. F. Schumacher

Hogwash...

"I am but a fish caught in the net of an empty wind". - Pablo Neruda

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #55 of 79
Workwise, I sortof squat in a cubicle in our IT department. It's geek social, very laid back, and I get excellent "support." But I'm an editor and often find myself needing to concentrate on pretty trivial things. So when I need to actually accomplish something I pop in the iems and Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music for Airports. I've listened to it while doing book work for years. It's not that I'm not paying attention to the music, but the part of my brain that needs activity does that while the conscious part of my brain looks at grammar and punctuation.

Just a few nights ago I found a Free (as in beer AND Lossless Audio Codec) alternative to Eno: Luonne

Great thread, lots of new names for me...

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercbuggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does seem that if Ambient is a 'modification' of an environment or space then perhaps in a pure sense it isn't supposed to be a fully active experience?

That would make sense, but perhaps this is now an archaic definition for the style.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

That would make sense, but perhaps this is now an archaic definition for the style.

Definitely agree that the genre has evolved, but at what point does the moniker 'ambient' become redundant?
confused.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Perhaps we cannot raise the winds. But each of us can put up the sail, so that when the wind comes we can catch it." - E. F. Schumacher

Hogwash...

"I am but a fish caught in the net of an empty wind". - Pablo Neruda

Does the flying fish stay caught in said 'net of an empty wind'??
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back