Can amps hurt the sound?
Oct 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

satkinsn

Head-Fier
I know some HPs don't *need* amping, but can adding an amp hurt the sound output, other than in a "never have more in your chain than you need" kind of way?

I ask because the last couple of nights have mostly been a Clip+ and AD700s, directly in. Last night I decided to add a small, portable amp, and at least on low gain, things got worse. (High gain restored both volume and dynamics) - so I started wondering about the effect of amping that which does not require an amp.

tks,

s.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 5
The AD700 with its 32 ohm impedence should not need an amp to get decent volume out of a Clip+.   I would say only add an amp to the chain if you cannot get enough volume.  Can the amp degrade the sound?  As you learned with your amp on its "low gain" setting, yes it can.  It is a matter of synergy between all the links in the chain from your source to your ears.   Are you listening to high-rez files?  If not, probably better off not amplifying a poor signal into a BIGGER poor signal!

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Another thing to check is that the volume out of your Clip is set to max and that you control volume on the amp only.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks all.

I should have been more careful in my first post: I know the AD700s don't need an amp, and I have the Clip+'s volume set just a bit below maximum - and run the volume off the amp.

Having been a little surprised by my experience, I was really chasing the more general idea of whether/how an amp hurts, when using high efficiency HPs.

Also: I don't ever listen to anything less than Redbook files - what's on my Clip at the moment are standard issue cd-quality tunes.

best,

s.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Just like with everything else, there are good amps and bad amps.
It depends on the quality of your other components as well.
If you have a good source and good headphones, a good quality
amp will add to your listening enjoyment. But if your headphones
or source are lacking in sound quality then you might not notice
how bad your low end amp sounds. A good source and headphones
will surely not sounds so good with a poor quality amp.
As has been said many times, a chain is only as strong as the weakest
link.

I use a Cowon D2+ with Philips IEM and find an amp greatly improves
my listening enjoyment even though I do not listen any louder than
the D2+ can achieve on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back