Can 16Bit/48kHz be considered as aptX HD level? (re: Avantree DG60)
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 42
Review from Amazon US

Bummer: Not sure how this is when they have 24/192 and 32/192 USB Soundcards.

"In House Chef

5.0 out of 5 stars APTX-HD on all your devices including iPhone. Want APTX-HD on iOS, buy BT-W3!
Reviewed in the United States on July 27, 2020
Color: Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Transmitter, aptX LL, and aptX HDVerified Purchase
***NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS FOR BT-W3 with APTX-HD support, NOT the older model***
With this device, you can use a USB to Lighting adapter on the iPhone and get APTX-HD support. (no "not enough power" warning on iPhone at all! Awesome)
I have multiple headphones with APTX-HD including Nuraloop and Sony WI-1000X.
BT-W3 supports all OS including iOS, Win10, and MacOS, and I have confirmed with Creative Labs that the USB interface is limited to 16-bit 48kHz with Win10, and that's not so much of an issue for me. (see screenshot with Roon)
It also can be used for PS4 and Switch with no issue at all, plug and play.
One observation, it appears iOS+Roon detected this device as 24-bit 48kHz. (see screenshot also)

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #17 of 42
I ordered the Avantree DG60 in both versions. One of them really shows 24bit/48Hz in Windows the other one ony 16bit.
Excepted the manual there was no visual difference.

Sep 14, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #19 of 42
Any news here?
I am using an Avantree DG60 with 16bit/48khz.
Today I get my Fiio BTR5 and FH3, and would like to have a better bluetooth transmitter from my computer (W10).
What do you recommend? (will use LDAC from my Nvidia Shield Pro, but want at least 24bit AptX HD from the computer)

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #20 of 42
Well Creatives new one does state it will only be 16/48 on a PC so not much choice.

I am not sure what causes this limitation and if they can write a driver to get around it but I did not need install a driver from the newer Avantree.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #21 of 42
Well Creatives new one does state it will only be 16/48 on a PC so not much choice.

I am not sure what causes this limitation and if they can write a driver to get around it but I did not need install a driver from the newer Avantree.
If I buy the DG60 now, I will get 24bit? Or is it just the Mod version which got 24bit? (still no AAC support?)

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #22 of 42
There will not be ACC support which is lowest of them all anyway, you ideally buy this to get better than aptX from your PC.

I would assume this late in the day you will get the new version, I do not think the listing on Amazon will say MOD anymore.

MOD-DG60-V1 for RMA use, 16bit to 24bit, Does Not: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics < MOD listing, hardly any reviews and photo shows Broadcast button.

Avantree DG60 Long Range Bluetooth 5.0 USB Audio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics < Original listing but no doubt updated as photo though a little blurry there is two modes on that button, one will be LL and other HD.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 42
Some of you guys should take a look at (and a listen to) the video in the following post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded.415361/page-396#post-15835082

As was mentioned earlier in this thread it seems impossible to get 24 bits 48 kHz within the available bandwith without some form of lossy encoding involved.
Actually maybe an easy start for such a lossy encoding would be to throw away the 8 least significant bits because nobody is going to hear them anyway!
So in short: some of you guys are chasing after something that won't bring any audible advantage.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 42
IMO listening to Amazon Music HD @ 24/96 (Mobile Phone with LDAC or PC wired) or even aptX-HD 24/48 is better than Windows default aptX (used to be SBC) which limit it to 16/44.1

I would not buy a set of earphones today with only AAC/SBC.

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #25 of 42
It could very well be that Windows default aptX fauls something up somehow and aptX-HD 24/48 sounds better as a result (with or without really using 24 bits!).
(It could also be that Amazon Music HD @ 24/96 uses different masters than what you compare it to. Or expectation bias etc.)

But 16/44.1 in itself is not a bottleneck. It is audibly transparent. That is not just some opinion but scientific fact (contrary to what marketing b.s. suggests and what the majority of audiophiles believe - audiophiles that mostly don't understand that hearing perception is done mostly by the brain and influenced by many things more than the actual sound going into their ears).
But I am not going to discuss this here. It has been discussed many times for example in the thread I mentioned before. Just wanted to mention it.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #26 of 42
I picked up a cheap refurb DG60 from ebay and it appears to be the 16 bit one. 16bit is fine with me since my source material is mainly CD/MP3, but I wonder if they both use full APT-X HD 576 kbit rate. With realtime transcoding bitrate is actually more important than source depth, and 16/48 should sound slight better then 24/48 at the same bitrate.

My laptop's integrated Bluetooth supports APTX-HD using a custom bluetooth codec in Linux when connected to my FiiO BTR3. It also supports LDAC which people have working, but I don't have a LDAC receiver or headphones, so I'm not sure if the laptop's BT supports it.

I've read that the Bluetooth spec permitted streaming MP3s directly (decompressing in the receiver) which would be ideal if someone implemented. The Multiple compressions damage psychoacoustics even when high quality.

I ordered the Avantree DG60 in both versions. One of them really shows 24bit/48Hz in Windows the other one ony 16bit.
Excepted the manual there was no visual difference.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #27 of 42
I got a (modded?) 24 bit / 48khz DG60 from Avantree today (for free).
I was quick to try it, since a user here on head-fi contacted me and wrote that his 24 bit version have reversed balance.
R on L / L on R, and there's a center channel option in "Levels" when the DG60 is set to stereo (only option).

Sadly mine has the same problem. R on L / L on R

Anyone out there with similar experience? Any fix?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #28 of 42
I found a temporary solution:
I use "Peter's Equalizer APO Configuration Extension" / Peace on my HTPC.
With this video I reversed the stereo on the 24bit DG60.
(Edit: There's also an alternative to just use the "Effects" in the PEACE interface, and reverse the channels there)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back