Can 16Bit/48kHz be considered as aptX HD level? (re: Avantree DG60)
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #31 of 42
I recently got the 16 bit Avantree DG60 (16-bit version) and am finding it to be an improvement to the Avantree Leaf, thanks to Aptx-HD. Using it paired with Sony 1000XM2 headphones which support Aptx-HD while streaming music from Tidal. It is clear that the bandwidth is higher (less compression) than with standard Aptx on the Avantree Leaf. Worth the upgrade in my case for sure regardless of using MP3/FLAC/16-bit/24 bit audio. While the 16 bit version I received is certainly a step up over the Lead regards of if 16 bit vs 24 bit is "better", I know that the higher bandwidth of AptX-HD is noticeable. Despite this improvement, I wanted to try the 24 bit version.

This forum thread mentions a 24-bit version of the D60 which I was hoping to receive when I ordered the DG60 from Amazon.ca. I was not sure if this information was correct or not. So I reached out to Avantree Support and they were extremely helpful. I provided my Amazon order number and explained that I wanted to know if there was a firmware update or a 24 bit version of the DG60. They informed me that the "MOD-DG60-V1(24bits)" version of the DG60 (linked below) has a 24-bit modified version from Avantree, but it does not allow for Bluetooth mic input (fine in my use case) as the 16 bit version does allow. The support person said "(Avantree Support Desk) Oct 20, 2020, 18:06 PDT Hi , Thanks for contacting us. The DG60 is an aptX.com certified USB Bluetooth audio dongle supporting aptX HD via Bluetooth transmission - https://www.aptx.com/products/avantree-dg60. However, due to technical limitations, the current Bluetooth chipset unfortunately only supports USB audio data in 16bit instead of 24bit. We are working on a solution to improve the audio quality to 24bit for users like yourself. And now, our engineers have made some DG60 which can work under 24bits on comptuers(add an extra 24 bits sound card). The exterior is the same as the one you have. But this one can't make calls, you just can use it to listen to music. And this one can't work with Macbook. if that is OK for you, we'd love to exchange one with you." They then offered to exchange my 16 bit version for the 24 bit version by offering a 100% discount code on their website for the 24 bit DG60 with a shipping label to send the my 16 bit version. Once I receive the 24 bit version, I will test to see if its even better and will then return the 16 bit version to them.

https://avantree.com/rma/dg60-24bits

Planning to post back here once I have the 24 bit version of the DG60 with some anecdotal thoughts on it.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #32 of 42
How can you listen to aptX-HD fully on the 16bit ballsup version (rhetorical as you cannot).

The 24bit version for some reason has 3 channels L+C+R (again I think this is a ballsup) but it does work ok.

If listen to Amazon with any BT headphones through Windows it will be 16/41 as that is aptX and most Windows currently support but with the above dongle I can see it is set to 24/48 (appears as soundcard) and I can set my Fiio's to aptX-HD and see by the LED on the Fiios and Dongle they are using a HD Codec.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #33 of 42
I recently got the 16 bit Avantree DG60 (16-bit version) and am finding it to be an improvement to the Avantree Leaf, thanks to Aptx-HD. Using it paired with Sony 1000XM2 headphones which support Aptx-HD while streaming music from Tidal. It is clear that the bandwidth is higher (less compression) than with standard Aptx on the Avantree Leaf. Worth the upgrade in my case for sure regardless of using MP3/FLAC/16-bit/24 bit audio. While the 16 bit version I received is certainly a step up over the Lead regards of if 16 bit vs 24 bit is "better", I know that the higher bandwidth of AptX-HD is noticeable. Despite this improvement, I wanted to try the 24 bit version.

This forum thread mentions a 24-bit version of the D60 which I was hoping to receive when I ordered the DG60 from Amazon.ca. I was not sure if this information was correct or not. So I reached out to Avantree Support and they were extremely helpful. I provided my Amazon order number and explained that I wanted to know if there was a firmware update or a 24 bit version of the DG60. They informed me that the "MOD-DG60-V1(24bits)" version of the DG60 (linked below) has a 24-bit modified version from Avantree, but it does not allow for Bluetooth mic input (fine in my use case) as the 16 bit version does allow. The support person said "(Avantree Support Desk) Oct 20, 2020, 18:06 PDT Hi , Thanks for contacting us. The DG60 is an aptX.com certified USB Bluetooth audio dongle supporting aptX HD via Bluetooth transmission - https://www.aptx.com/products/avantree-dg60. However, due to technical limitations, the current Bluetooth chipset unfortunately only supports USB audio data in 16bit instead of 24bit. We are working on a solution to improve the audio quality to 24bit for users like yourself. And now, our engineers have made some DG60 which can work under 24bits on comptuers(add an extra 24 bits sound card). The exterior is the same as the one you have. But this one can't make calls, you just can use it to listen to music. And this one can't work with Macbook. if that is OK for you, we'd love to exchange one with you." They then offered to exchange my 16 bit version for the 24 bit version by offering a 100% discount code on their website for the 24 bit DG60 with a shipping label to send the my 16 bit version. Once I receive the 24 bit version, I will test to see if its even better and will then return the 16 bit version to them.

https://avantree.com/rma/dg60-24bits

Planning to post back here once I have the 24 bit version of the DG60 with some anecdotal thoughts on it.
As I was reading your post, I had to check the name and make sure I did not type it myself. :thinking: I just went through a nearly identical experience, right down to receiving the exact same email from Avantree. I have a 24 bit version on the way as well. They are including a return postage label so I can send the 16 bit one back. I was logging in to report everything that you already typed up. So thank you, you saved me a good bit of typing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I will report my findings hear after I get some listening time with the 24 bit version.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #34 of 42
Is it certain that the 24bit DG60 doesn't feature the MIC functionality? My 16 biit DG60 was the first USB BT I've ever come across that provides very clear MIC recording on Linux. HSP/HPF mic profile quality on Linux has been an issue for over a decade, and if recall accurately Windows behaved the same. All cellphones negotiate high quality mic codecs for crystal clear BT conversations, but this has been a major headache on desktops where VOIP is a common use case (Gvoice, Discord, gaming, conference calls etc).

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #35 of 42
It still has the hardware I assume as you will see in Windows Audio CP setting for Play and Record but they removed the Broadcast function as it was too hard to use (so they told me), the button now is HD and LL not Broadcast.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #36 of 42
I received my 24 bit version yesterday. First thing I have to mention is the beyond reproach customer service that I received from Avantree. The only other times I have received customer service approaching this was from very small owner-operator or cottage industry type companies. Above and beyond excellent.

First the negatives. As mentioned here by others, the channels are reversed. Because others had mentioned it, the first thing I did was play Eleanor Rigby (Remaster 2009) by The Beatles. Normally in the song opening you can clearly hear the lead vocals originating from the right. Here they are coming from the left. Which is a very weird experience when listening to a track that I have heard hundreds if not thousands of times. I used Equalizer APO to swap the channels, but I really, really do not like having to remember to double check and make sure that this is correct before listening. Next negative is that (again, I believe mentioned by somebody here) other functions are no longer available, in my case I can no longer use Play/Pause/Skip etc. This is a minor annoyance for me, but may be a deal breaker for others. Final negative is that on the 16 bit version (that I still have and can compare side by side) when you move away from the source the 16 bit version will, somewhat smoothly, switch to lower a AptX and the connection and sound reproduction are better over a longer distance. On the 24 bit version, the max range is probably 10% less and when it gets near its maximum range it just starts cutting out, instead of switching to a lesser AptX.

The one and only positive that I can confirm that the 16 bit does in fact transmit at 16/44 and the 24 bit does indeed transmit at 24/48. When I heard the 24 bit I did get the very slight (audible over Bluetooth) increased dynamic range on my 24/48 and above tracks (Tidal and FLAC mostly for me). I played these back to back for my 13 year old son (without telling him I was using different hardware) and he said that the sound was "bigger". In this case I believe he was hearing the increased dynamic range and that resulted in the 'airyness' that makes the soundstage "bigger".

Which one am I going to keep and use? Probably the 16 bit. Mostly because the channels being reversed really annoys me and I would not mind having the Play/Pause/Skip functionality. However, if they fix these issues (I will be sending them my feedback today), I would certainly upgrade/keep the 24 bit version. If for no other reason, just to know I am transmitting the best AptX (HD) currently available. :beers:

Avantree DG60 16 Bit setting.png
Avantree DG60 Mod 24 Bit setting.png

DG60 Front.jpg
DG60 Back.jpg

(If anyone wants the 24/48 version before I send it back, just shoot me a PM. I will sell it for $52 including shipping, handling and PP fees. This will save you a bit of time doing the email dance with Avantree.)

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #37 of 42
I retired my DG60 today, it started to take a long time to connect even if to same device last connected, then as soon as I played any audio or video it would instantly disconnect and eventually reconnect then make loud pop sound (painful) in my ears for about 10 seconds then work fine till next time.

I only needed it to get aptX-HD to my ear/headphones from PC and Win 10 already supports aptX anyhow.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #38 of 42
When I heard the 24 bit I did get the very slight (audible over Bluetooth) increased dynamic range on my 24/48 and above tracks (Tidal and FLAC mostly for me). I played these back to back for my 13 year old son (without telling him I was using different hardware) and he said that the sound was "bigger". In this case I believe he was hearing the increased dynamic range and that resulted in the 'airyness' that makes the soundstage "bigger"
Probably either expectation bias or one of them is faulty. I mean there is no commercially recorded music that has a dynamic range greater than 98db of 16 bits. Certainly not a 1960s Beatles recording.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #39 of 42
I'm sure it wasn't level matched either. It could just be a volume difference. "Bigger" would be a good description of a little louder.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #40 of 42
Probably either expectation bias or one of them is faulty. I mean there is no commercially recorded music that has a dynamic range greater than 98db of 16 bits. Certainly not a 1960s Beatles recording.

I'm sure it wasn't level matched either. It could just be a volume difference. "Bigger" would be a good description of a little louder.
I am sure you are right. :thumbsdown: Because I would have never thought to match volumes. I guess all audible differences MUST be illusions then. Next time I will just ask the 'experts' on here what sounds better. 💩

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #41 of 42
All audible differences aren’t illusions. But without controlled testing that eliminates bias and perceptual error, you’ll never know which are which.

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #42 of 42
I am sure you are right. :thumbsdown: Because I would have never thought to match volumes. I guess all audible differences MUST be illusions then. Next time I will just ask the 'experts' on here what sounds better. 💩
No need for the sarcasm, just pointing out whatever differences you are hearing or perceiving cannot be due to a higher dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back