Campfire - Solaris
Sep 23, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #11,897 of 12,035
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and new to IEM world also. My gear is Westone W40, Beyerdynamic Xelento, iFi hip dac with iphone apple music. I've been reading a lot of comparisons and reviews. Now I would like to hear some opinion from you guys whomever tried Westone W40, beyerdynamic Xelento, Campfire Vega, Andromeda, and Solaris.

I like my Westone W40 mainly because of the separation and layering, I can listen more detail on W40 than Xelento. But obviously Xelento has more deep bass and sub-bass. Vocal also brighter on Xelento.

Now, I got some budget to spend. Can you guys give me input what IEM will be if both layering performance of W40 combined with bass and sub-bass performance of Xelento?

Is it Campfire Vega will do, or I need to go to Solaris or maybe Andromeda?

Or maybe other brand than that I mentioned above?

Thank you in advance.

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #11,898 of 12,035
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and new to IEM world also. My gear is Westone W40, Beyerdynamic Xelento, iFi hip dac with iphone apple music. I've been reading a lot of comparisons and reviews. Now I would like to hear some opinion from you guys whomever tried Westone W40, beyerdynamic Xelento, Campfire Vega, Andromeda, and Solaris.

I like my Westone W40 mainly because of the separation and layering, I can listen more detail on W40 than Xelento. But obviously Xelento has more deep bass and sub-bass. Vocal also brighter on Xelento.

Now, I got some budget to spend. Can you guys give me input what IEM will be if both layering performance of W40 combined with bass and sub-bass performance of Xelento?

Thank you in advance.
I have the W50, Vega, Andromeda and Solaris. But I haven't listened to the W50 in years. But from what I remember, the Solaris would be like taking the best of the the W40 and Xelento and merging into one.

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #11,899 of 12,035

Thank you in advance.
Z1r. I find the Solaris bass light. Thought very tight.

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #11,903 of 12,035

Thank you in advance.
I have Xelento and Solaris.

What would you like to know?

Solaris is bigger in stage and more interesting in imaging terms. It is more energetic and details pop. It is more impressive as few iems can sound so huge.

Xelento has better timbre, is more laid back, vocals sound more natural and better overall, treble is smoother, details dont pop as much, imaging is not as holographic. Stage is smaller but still very good for an iem imo.

I place them both on the same tier, all things considered. That said for me Xelento gets the slight nod for its incredible fit. Fit is so important for iems imo! And i find Xelento easier to pop in on the go.

Does Solaris have Xelento bass? Not entirely but not far off. And it does have amazing holographic imaging. So maybe go for it.

If you have Xelento bear in mind its already a top tier iem and Solaris/Andromeda are sidegrades from it imo. You sacrifice one thing for another, kinda deal

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #11,904 of 12,035
I'm also interested in the Solaris OG. It's a longshot, but have any of you Solaris folks also heard the Yanyin Moonlight (DD + 4BA + 2EST) that you can compare the Solaris OG vs. Moonlight??

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #11,905 of 12,035
I'm also interested in the Solaris OG. It's a longshot, but have any of you Solaris folks also heard the Yanyin Moonlight (DD + 4BA + 2EST) that you can compare the Solaris OG vs. Moonlight??
I have them. A quick summary: I have Solaris in my drawer and rarely use them. It took me a long time to come up with a combination of cable, tips and EQ to get to my preferred sound. I take them out from time to time and enjoy them, but the Moonlights, among others, have made me take them less and less and I even consider selling them. The Moonlight make you smile from the beginning. Without having to do anything.
I don't think I'll be able to do a serious comparison for you until next weekend. Any specific song or genre you want me to compare?

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #11,906 of 12,035
I have them. A quick summary: I have Solaris in my drawer and rarely use them. It took me a long time to come up with a combination of cable, tips and EQ to get to my preferred sound. I take them out from time to time and enjoy them, but the Moonlights, among others, have made me take them less and less and I even consider selling them. The Moonlight make you smile from the beginning. Without having to do anything.
I don't think I'll be able to do a serious comparison for you until next weekend. Any specific song or genre you want me to compare?
I think you may have helped some already, thx! I really like my current Kinera Norn -- I like a strong dynamic sound, NOT a soft/smooth Sennheiser HD5xx sound.

Which of these 2 (Solaris vs Moonlight) have a more energetic sound?

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #11,907 of 12,035
I have Xelento and Solaris.

What would you like to know?

Solaris is bigger in stage and more interesting in imaging terms. It is more energetic and details pop. It is more impressive as few iems can sound so huge.

Xelento has better timbre, is more laid back, vocals sound more natural and better overall, treble is smoother, details dont pop as much, imaging is not as holographic. Stage is smaller but still very good for an iem imo.

I place them both on the same tier, all things considered. That said for me Xelento gets the slight nod for its incredible fit. Fit is so important for iems imo! And i find Xelento easier to pop in on the go.

Does Solaris have Xelento bass? Not entirely but not far off. And it does have amazing holographic imaging. So maybe go for it.

If you have Xelento bear in mind its already a top tier iem and Solaris/Andromeda are sidegrades from it imo. You sacrifice one thing for another, kinda deal
Thank you for the input. You're right, nothing's perfect. We got to choose which has to be sacrificed. I ended up bought Oriolus Szalayi. Because I tried 3 iems at the shop, which is CA andromeda, Vision Ear VE7, and oriolus. And in my opinion oriolus is the combination of Xelento and Westone W40.

Oct 17, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #11,908 of 12,035
I think you may have helped some already, thx! I really like my current Kinera Norn -- I like a strong dynamic sound, NOT a soft/smooth Sennheiser HD5xx sound.

Which of these 2 (Solaris vs Moonlight) have a more energetic sound?
Hi!

Sorry for the delay in answering you. LOL. You make it difficult for me! The description "energetic" may be different for everyone, but I think I understand you. There are those who by energetic mean some advanced treble. The Moonlights are much more balanced, with the most advanced voices, and the best implementation of EST drivers for highs that I have heard. The instruments all sound correct without being aggressive. They are, to put it in some way, safer. Since I'm a dad, I have less time to listen to music than I would like, and when I do I want to immerse myself, without detecting failures, and these are some of the ones I wear for this.

The Solaris, on the other hand, have a more V-shaped profile. The only drawback I put on them is that they have a tuning that I like less, but there may be fans of this sound, it simply convinces me less. There are some voices that sound fake to me, and some peaks in the treble, and yet the cymbals or hit-hats sound duller. Nothing serious. Still, I have worn them this weekend, and they are very much enjoyed. They are the kings of soundstage. The Moonlights are more intimate and less 3D.

When it comes to comfort, the Moonlights win hands down. I have big ears, and the Solaris OGs have never been a problem, but the Moonlights have the best fit of all the IEMs I have. Due to their construction and the absence of a decompression hole, the Solaris tend to have driver flex when you put them on, or even if you have to rearrange them because they have slipped out a bit. In all the time I've had them, this has never affected the sound. I have adapted them more to my liking with another cable (ISN G4) other tips (Xelastec) and a few touches of EQ, and now I am quite happy with them to consider keeping them, even if it is to take them out very occasionally.

I hope I've helped.

Oct 18, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #11,910 of 12,035

Users who are viewing this thread

Back