Campfire - Solaris
Oct 25, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #11,446 of 12,035
Hi folks,

I'd like to ask what portable devices do you guys use with Solaris? I recently purchased a Solaris 2020, but when I plugged it into my Sony WM1A, I found the noise to be a very serious problem. The hissing sound is not very loud, but it is present. Even when I can barely hear it when I play the song, it makes me feel uncomfortable as soon as I become aware of its presence. So I wanted to ask what other devices could effectively avoid this problem while also having a pretty good sound performance? And of course, the price cannot be too high. I know a DAP like A&K SP2K might meet all the requirements except for the price!

I have the Sony WM1Z and I have exactly the same problem as you with all my Solarises - despite the fact that the WM1Z's output impedance is less than 1 Ohm, the hissing is constant, and very noticeable every time the music pauses or becomes quieter.

I see that Lookout57 has had a different experience (and unless I am mistaken we already compared our experiences, on this thread or on another, a few weeks ago), and I don't know why that is: either my WM1Z has some defect (but I do not think so, as it works perfectly fine - and without producing any hiss - with my IER-Z1R and other IEMs which are less sensible to background hiss than the Solarises... and I believe that I had read elsewhere that the WM1Z was known as not being very good at producing a black background for very sensible IEMs)... or Lookout is less sensible to hiss? :)

In any case: I can only recommend the Cowon Plenue L (if you can afford it), or the Cowon Plenue 2 - I use both with my Solarises, they are great (very fun to use due to the JetEffect options) and do not produce the slightest hiss!

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #11,447 of 12,035
No I'm using the original firmware. Also, I think your volume is too high. I use Solaris plug WM1A volume can not even exceed 25, 35 is already a level that will make my ears feeling painful.
Volume level is based on source material. On low res (16/44.1) I'm at 25-30, hi-res (24/88 up to 24/196) is 30-45 and DSD can be up to 50. These levels are for listening and appreciating the music and to hear all the details. I do use a lower volume to fall asleep which can be as low as 20. Again depending on the source material.

Also, region, firmware, cables and tips can effect the volume.

You really need to try MrWalkman's custom firmware (https://www.nwmods.ml) as it takes all of the Sony's that don't run Android to another level.

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #11,448 of 12,035
I have the Sony WM1Z and I have exactly the same problem as you with all my Solarises - despite the fact that the WM1Z's output impedance is less than 1 Ohm, the hissing is constant, and very noticeable every time the music pauses or becomes quieter.

I see that Lookout57 has had a different experience (and unless I am mistaken we already compared our experiences, on this thread or on another, a few weeks ago), and I don't know why that is: either my WM1Z has some defect (but I do not think so, as it works perfectly fine - and without producing any hiss - with my IER-Z1R and other IEMs which are less sensible to background hiss than the Solarises... and I believe that I had read elsewhere that the WM1Z was known as not being very good at producing a black background for very sensible IEMs)... or Lookout is less sensible to hiss? :)

In any case: I can only recommend the Cowon Plenue L (if you can afford it), or the Cowon Plenue 2 - I use both with my Solarises, they are great (very fun to use due to the JetEffect options) and do not produce the slightest hiss!
What cable are you using? I'm using the DHC Clone Silver balanced on all of my Campfire IEMs (Solaris, Solaris SE, Solaris 2020 and Andromeda Gold). I also have my 1A and 1A configured for region MX3 and using MrWalkman's WalkmanOne custom firmware (WM1Z and Plus V2 modes). That could be why I only hear hissing between tracks or on very very quiet passages. Even then I'm not sure that it's not residual noise in the source material.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #11,450 of 12,035
Volume level is based on source material. On low res (16/44.1) I'm at 25-30, hi-res (24/88 up to 24/196) is 30-45 and DSD can be up to 50. These levels are for listening and appreciating the music and to hear all the details. I do use a lower volume to fall asleep which can be as low as 20. Again depending on the source material.

Also, region, firmware, cables and tips can effect the volume.

You really need to try MrWalkman's custom firmware (https://www.nwmods.ml) as it takes all of the Sony's that don't run Android to another level.
I don't think it's probably a firmware problem because I noticed you're using a different cable than I am. I use the stock cable. I think I need to try a better cable。。

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #11,451 of 12,035

I'd like to ask the same question, what kind of cable are you using?

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #11,452 of 12,035
What cable are you using? I'm using the DHC Clone Silver balanced on all of my Campfire IEMs (Solaris, Solaris SE, Solaris 2020 and Andromeda Gold). I also have my 1A and 1A configured for region MX3 and using MrWalkman's WalkmanOne custom firmware (WM1Z and Plus V2 modes). That could be why I only hear hissing between tracks or on very very quiet passages. Even then I'm not sure that it's not residual noise in the source material.

I'd like to ask the same question, what kind of cable are you using?

With my Solarises, I'm using the single ended stock cables that came with each pair (i.e. the Super Litz and Super Smoky Litz cables), a balanced 2.5 mm Super Litz (to use with my Plenue 2) and a balanced 4.4 mm Super Litz (to use with my Plenue L).

I think that I have tried to use the 4.4 mm Super Litz with my WM1Z (and my Solarises) at a certain point, but to be honest I am not even sure that I actually have... As my Solarises work great with my Plenues 2 and L and as I like to listen to my WM1Z with my IER-Z1 (or with my UERR for that matter), I have to say that I did not try very hard to make my Solarises work with my WM1Z.

I may also have assumed that the balanced output could only make things even worse in terms of hiss (maybe I was wrong?).

One last thing: I have changed the WM1Z firmware to the Japanese one (but I would be surprised that this results to more hiss with sensible IEMs).

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #11,453 of 12,035
With my Solarises, I'm using the single ended stock cables that came with each pair (i.e. the Super Litz and Super Smoky Litz cables), a balanced 2.5 mm Super Litz (to use with my Plenue 2) and a balanced 4.4 mm Super Litz (to use with my Plenue L).

I think that I have tried to use the 4.4 mm Super Litz with my WM1Z (and my Solarises) at a certain point, but to be honest I am not even sure that I actually have... As my Solarises work great with my Plenues 2 and L and as I like to listen to my WM1Z with my IER-Z1 (or with my UERR for that matter), I have to say that I did not try very hard to make my Solarises work with my WM1Z.

I may also have assumed that the balanced output could only make things even worse in terms of hiss (maybe I was wrong?).

One last thing: I have changed the WM1Z firmware to the Japanese one (but I would be surprised that this results to more hiss with sensible IEMs).
I avoid silver plated cables (like the Campfire cables) because I find that they make the highs too harsh and are neuter the mids and lows.

You should invest in a balanced pure silver cable to get the most out of the Solaris. Once you hear a well constructed pure silver cable, you'll never use anything else.

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #11,454 of 12,035
I avoid silver plated cables (like the Campfire cables) because I find that they make the highs too harsh and are neuter the mids and lows.

You should invest in a balanced pure silver cable to get the most out of the Solaris. Once you hear a well constructed pure silver cable, you'll never use anything else.

I honestly tried the Pure silver litz from ALO before and for me that sound is terrible. The whole bass is disappeared, even though the treble is transparent and clean. So I'm not sure a pure silver cable would meet my needs, as it just seems to cause a reduction in basses. My plan is to try out ALO's SXC 8 with balanced termination, and I'll be back to tell you what I think.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #11,455 of 12,035
I honestly tried the Pure silver litz from ALO before and for me that sound is terrible. The whole bass is disappeared, even though the treble is transparent and clean. So I'm not sure a pure silver cable would meet my needs, as it just seems to cause a reduction in basses. My plan is to try out ALO's SXC 8 with balanced termination, and I'll be back to tell you what I think.
I have to agree with @Lookout57 here.
While I don’t use a pure silver cable with my LE (i use a silver/copper fusion cable), high quality pure silver cables should not do what you’re describing.
I also had an SXC-8 and didn’t care for it. My personal opinion - don’t let your experience with the pure silver litz from ALO taint your perspective on pure silver in general. High quality silver cables I have actually improve the quality (and perception of quantity) of the bass…just my two cents.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #11,456 of 12,035
I have the Campfire/ALO Silver litz and the SXC 8 balanced and going to sell them as they just don't show what the Solaris can do. I would recommend the DHC Symbiote SP and it's not much more than the SXC 8. Or if you have the funds, the Clone Silver which I use.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #11,457 of 12,035
I have the Campfire/ALO Silver litz and the SXC 8 balanced and going to sell them as they just don't show what the Solaris can do. I would recommend the DHC Symbiote SP and it's not much more than the SXC 8. Or if you have the funds, the Clone Silver which I use.
Sounds good. Just takes more and more money to spend...

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #11,458 of 12,035
So, here's a challenge for you guys:

I have the Solaris 2020 and I love them, they are beautiful beasts.

But as this place is evil, I have an itch to wonder what the new Fiio FD7 and 64Audio Duo sound like in comparison. And that itch is growing itchier by the day as I read more about both.

Please talk me out of punching my wallet in the face again.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #11,459 of 12,035
I had to buy a new cable because my original one got nicked, almost severed, so I bought this one:
FiiO LC-2.5D/LC-4.4D/LC-3.5D High-Purity Monocrystalline Silver Litz IEM Cable MMCX - Size : LC-4.4D - 4.4mm Balanced
123 Euros with P&P, from a seller in Italy someone posted about here earlier, playstereo.com.

I don't know if it's the synergy between my Fiio M15 DAP and this Fiio cable, or because it's balanced, but the sound is better now, less dark. I hear real improvements listening to Pink Floyd's DSotM, which was too dark before, now it's just right.

Oct 27, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #11,460 of 12,035
Sorry for bothering. I finally decided to buy the DHC Symbiote SP you recommended. I would like to make a final confirmation before purchasing that there is no background noise with this cable in combination with WM1A is that correct? Because my main purpose is to get rid of the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back