Campfire - Solaris
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #3,601 of 12,035
This was not planned at all and still a bit traumatic to be honest... but I *had* to sell because of a bad financial surprise and I stretched myself quite a bit lately...
I can’t really sell customs otherwise would have kept Solaris and sold VE8...
Sorry to hear that. Life happens at the most inopportune moments.
I was all ready to pick up some Quad Electrostat speakers, and my landlord informed me he wants to sell the house I am living in, and I have to move out in 60 days. Brought that purchase to a screaching halt.

On the brighter side... you can always pick up the BLACK special edition campfire will undoubtedly release in the future :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #3,602 of 12,035
I bought some of the alternative Final Type E tips a couple of days ago (the clear with red axis).

I prefer them to the black. The seal is better and they are more comfortable.

They are made of a different material and I find they give slightly tighter bass and airier treble (which is what Final claim on their site)! Very happy :ksc75smile:

IMG_3768.jpg

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #3,603 of 12,035
Perhaps Basshead is what I gravitate towards, but most of my listening is of classical music. The Andro are incredible but it’s frustrating to miss the bloom a cello makes on the lower strings for example. No easy way it seems
can you point which song or track that you want to address? I wonder to know

This was not planned at all and still a bit traumatic to be honest... but I *had* to sell because of a bad financial surprise and I stretched myself quite a bit lately...
I can’t really sell customs otherwise would have kept Solaris and sold VE8...
Sorry to hear that.... hope everything will get better...
but still I envy you.... #HibyR6Pro

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #3,604 of 12,035
Sorry to hear that. Life happens at the most inopportune moments.
I was all ready to pick up some Quad Electrostat speakers, and my landlord informed me he wants to sell the house I am living in, and I have to move out in 60 days. Brought that purchase to a screaching halt. On the brighter side... you can always pick up the BLACK special edition campfire will undoubtedly release in the future :wink:

Well it’s all relative it’s only material problems, I’ll live :)
I am to blame for stretching myself thin there and wanted universals are a good way to get cash back quickly.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #3,605 of 12,035
can you point which song or track that you want to address? I wonder to know

Sorry to hear that.... hope everything will get better...
but still I envy you.... #HibyR6Pro
Sure take the Ravel String Quartet - 1st movement - 2-3 minutes in the cello pizzicato low notes. On the Andro these are flat, end quickly etc. On the Vega the impact of the finger plucking the string can be felt, and the notes are full and bloom. It’s a completely different presentation and far more satisfying, IMO on the vega

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #3,606 of 12,035
These look great! Curious as to why you went with these rather than say Snugs? Is it a price point thing in this case?

When I enquired with Snugs, fairly pricey sure but they said they didn’t have the profile for the Solaris and didn’t intend to build one unless they have more requests so... also I think it’s a bit different as the snug clip onto the uni shell?

That plus Custom Art does great work!

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #3,607 of 12,035
Sure take the Ravel String Quartet - 1st movement - 2-3 minutes in the cello pizzicato low notes. On the Andro these are flat, end quickly etc. On the Vega the impact of the finger plucking the string can be felt, and the notes are full and bloom. It’s a completely different presentation and far more satisfying, IMO on the vega

I hope I get it right. from 1:47 to 2:10, Cello double plucking for 7 times, every 2nd pluck the rumble is there...

Unfortunately the Vega demo unit already send back... so I can't make direct comparison...
but I can say, the finger plucking is there, with full note, bloom and rumble, quite detail... but again, need to compare with Vega..

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #3,608 of 12,035
I hope I get it right. from 1:47 to 2:10, Cello double plucking for 7 times, every 2nd pluck the rumble is there...

Unfortunately the Vega demo unit already send back... so I can't make direct comparison...
but I can say, the finger plucking is there, with full note, bloom and rumble, quite detail... but again, need to compare with Vega..
Is there with which set up ? Dap, dap amp, ?

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #3,609 of 12,035
Is there with which set up ? Dap, dap amp, ?
Note 8, from youtube
or Note 8 + NX4DSD, even better detail... although the background recording is increase

using Slitz SE cable.

when the plucking on 2:01 is the best description and detail

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,610 of 12,035
Best describe Plucking is with this song

Point : on 2:12. the plucking was so layer and detail, Solaris excute it tight and nicely...
Note 8 UAPP - NX4DSD - Slitz SE - Solaris.

or
Screenshot_20190221-202753_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
I understand why CA ppl like this song with Solaris... the detail...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #3,611 of 12,035
When I enquired with Snugs, fairly pricey sure but they said they didn’t have the profile for the Solaris and didn’t intend to build one unless they have more requests so... also I think it’s a bit different as the snug clip onto the uni shell?

That plus Custom Art does great work!
I see ok - thanks I will look these up!

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #3,612 of 12,035
Perhaps Basshead is what I gravitate towards, but most of my listening is of classical music. The Andro are incredible but it’s frustrating to miss the bloom a cello makes on the lower strings for example. No easy way it seems

FWIW, my Yo-Yo Ma "Appassionato" album has never sounded so good until I listened to it on the Solaris - the cello sounds so full-bodied and the 3D soundscape really feels like I am listening in an intimate concert hall. Especially Track number 4 "Doce de coco" which is a guitar duet - literally made my hair stand.

Though I must caveat that I am stepping up from a mid-fi IEM (the 1more Quads). That said, on the Solaris it still feels more live and realistic than on my Cascades.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,613 of 12,035

Thank you very much for this. I actually went and tried them today in Selfridges in London. All I can say is I get it now! Doubt they were burned in, so I definitely see what people mean about the bass impact (it's on the light side), but the rest of the presentation is spectacular. Take this track by Anomalie

-

- 57 seconds in, the synth scale that sweeps from left to right, just behind the head - fantastic!

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #3,614 of 12,035
I bought some of the alternative Final Type E tips a couple of days ago (the clear with red axis).

I prefer them to the black. The seal is better and they are more comfortable.

They are made of a different material and I find they give slightly tighter bass and airier treble (which is what Final claim on their site)! Very happy :ksc75smile:

Cheers, picked them up myself :)
I like how the final "Large" is everyone else's medium!

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #3,615 of 12,035
where are the jumbo tips? I am having great luck with the Azla tips from Japan. I was finally able to understand what all the fuss about the Andromeda was about.... even wanted a set, but ordered Solaris instead (to complement my Vegas).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back