Campfire - Solaris
Feb 18, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #3,556 of 12,035
There’s burn in period, but you’ll hear some difference with Ref8 in first hour or so. What’s you dap?

I think it should settle down 50+ hours. Give me your impression on comparison with Ref8

I gotta warn you Triton 8 will thin Solaris sound by quite a lot, but you’ll get much sharper, clearer resolution & clarity + better bass etc

I listen to Se5U ciem with Triton 8 hybrid yesterday. It’s extremely sublime. I can hear everything that’s in the song. It pushes SE5U performance to a very high level

Sony WM1Z

Shall update you on this.

So there is a slight nick on my reference 8, and one braid is slightly exposed after investigating with a loupe. The part that is exposed is not the inner cable, but just the shell of the sliver.
Would you cover this up with some kind of glue, or have someone re-terminate?

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #3,557 of 12,035
What are some DAP's that have a black background, no hiss, with the Solaris?

For me I am looking at not spending too much, but if I buy a DAP, I want it to have no hiss. So I am willing to wait a bit longer if it means no noise. Thanks!

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #3,558 of 12,035

For me I am looking at not spending too much, but if I buy a DAP, I want it to have no hiss. So I am willing to wait a bit longer if it means no noise. Thanks!

The Shanling M5s has no hiss... pairs nicely with the Solaris too! I’m running them balanced so not sure if there is background noise single ended.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #3,559 of 12,035
There is even less back ground noise in single ended on the M5s than the balanced. I can also confirm. Shanling M5s is an excellent pairing with the Solaris. The only negative on the M5s is that it has a weak eq implementation which should be resolved with a new firmware. Solaris sounds absolutely superb out of the player. Very dynamic 3D type sound with this pairing.

10244247_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #3,560 of 12,035
folks!
How does the Solaris spatial imaging sounds versus Audeze LCDi4 and Shure KSE1200? Any better outside of the head with more space toward the front and back?
Many thanks!

paul

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,561 of 12,035

Astell&Kern players also have very black background and near-zero hiss. My old AK300 was great in this regard and I've heard the newer ones (SR15-SE100-SP1000/M) are also the same. so SR15 or SE100 would be great depending on your budget.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #3,563 of 12,035
Astell&Kern players also have very black background and near-zero hiss. My old AK300 was great in this regard and I've heard the newer ones (SR15-SE100-SP1000/M) are also the same. so SR15 or SE100 would be great depending on your budget.

Can confirm that the SR15 has zero hiss when used with Andromeda or Solaris. Could also check out the NW-ZX300 for something similar in the price range.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #3,564 of 12,035

Can confirm there is no hiss with the AK240.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #3,565 of 12,035
Can confirm that the SR15 has zero hiss when used with Andromeda or Solaris. Could also check out the NW-ZX300 for something similar in the price range.
Second no hiss on the A&K SR15. I listened to Solaris on the A&K SP1000M at CanJam and didn't hear any hiss with that DAP - I have a SP1000M on the way and will obviously do more listening. BTW, still burning in my new Solaris.

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #3,566 of 12,035

A lot of post already... now it depends on your budget ...
for me, based on my quest:
- N5iis is almost no hiss (neglectable) in 2.5 mm balanced and 3.5 SE...
- DX200 with AMP 1, almost no hiss in 3.5 SE... I didn't try the 2.5 balanced because dint have the cable at that time
- Lotto LPGT.. SOLID Black background in 4.4 mm (neglectable between GAP and pause)
- Note 8 enyxos, just to mention, solid Black background...
Reminder.. this is only talk about HISS... SQ, detail, SS will be different matter..

edit : almost no hiss means if you pause or between song there will be noticeable noise, but you can neglect it compare to others...
And if you put next by smartphone, the POP noise will appeared ....
On NOTE8, need to emphasize that you need to be in airplane mode...

edit 2 : worth to mention.
- Shanling m3s also good manage HISS... in 3.5 SE.
- XDP300R, this fellow actually good handle HISS in 3.5 SE... (but dry on Low/Bass)

Stack with AMP can also manage HISS : Option with
- NX4DSD (via LO)...
- Chord Modjo (USB) also good manage HISS...
- E12a , WARM..... almost no Hiss, but mid Hi detail sometime misjudge as Sibilant
- Q1MKII ... SE Almost no Hiss, while Balanced noticeable HISS

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #3,567 of 12,035
Sony WM1Z

Shall update you on this.

So there is a slight nick on my reference 8, and one braid is slightly exposed after investigating with a loupe. The part that is exposed is not the inner cable, but just the shell of the sliver.
Would you cover this up with some kind of glue, or have someone re-terminate?

Am also interested in your update on the Triton 8 - in particular whether the microphonics as reported in the IEM cable thread bother you. Will you be using the cable while commuting? Thanks in advance =)

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #3,568 of 12,035
For all those guys who can't make it Canjam NY, I have FINALLY managed to finish up my long-overdue Solaris review (along with some comparisons with the Atlas, Zeus-XR and Stealthsonics U9). Massive thanks to @KB and the team at Campfire Audio for the opportunity to review these - my new favourite IEM.

https://audioprimate.blog/2019/02/17/campfire-audio-solaris-sound-like-the-sun/

Hope you guys enjoy!

Fantastic review that echoes my sentiments in a much more elegant and descriptive way =) Also wanted to give you credit for sharing your initial impressions throughout this thread and the Cascade thread - was one of the factors that convinced me to take the plunge as it seems like we have similar musical preferences. Cheers @Jackpot77!

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,570 of 12,035
No Problem... the only (prob the last) Android based or Sony that can do streaming was NW-ZX2. my opinion was WARM DAP, still HISS though but acceptable, only SE jack, Android 4.1 (4.2), great finishing body (typical SONY), not laggy when streaming.. almost buy this over N5iiS,
the deal breaker was noise,,, Yes, ZX2 have feature call ClearAudio+, it really reduce noise with Solaris, but somehow, I felt losing the dynamic and some detail when this feature on...
ZX2 was a great DAP, I demoed SOLARIS (ended up buy SOLARIS) with this DAP at the first time...
the last type/model from Sony that I have not try is NWM1Z, I really want to know that warm character...

IMO, Vega bass is more punchy and a bit better rumble / sub bass than SOLARIS. I think there are other how can answer this better...
Before I used to think SOLARIS, will be combination Andro OG & Vega, but what I think will be more similar to partially ANDRO S (Sub Mid, Mid, High, SS & Spark) with almost of ATLAS DD (Low and Sub Low) plus Holographic... IMO

love this guys:heart_eyes::beerchug:, always bring alternative of better value for money. Keep the good work...
for me, Medium size with big bore Silicon from TFZ, already served me good, not the best sound isolation, no sound coloring, the most comfortable eartip for me because it doesn't give me irritation for long season (more than 6 hours).

Yeah I thought as much, thank you. This is kind of what’s put me off going the Solaris route so far. I may be an outlier in that I much prefer a fun signature especially in the bass and mids. What I hoped was that the incredible air of the Andro OG could be held up with that Vega punchiness but it seems nothing like that quite exists or perhaps is even possible, Campfire or otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back