Campfire - Solaris
Dec 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,327 of 12,035
This is one of my favorite threads, so here goes....

giphy9.gif

Headphoneus Supremus!!!

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,328 of 12,035
A phone with Hugo destroys the sp1000.

I was referencing sound directly out of a phone not through an external dac. The Hugo 2 is great and i know people that prefer the hugo over the sp1000 and others that prefer the sp1000. If you are talking about the Dave that is a different story. I thoroughly enjoy my sp1000 with all of my headphones and iems. I find some to sound even better with the addition of the ALO CV5. How do you like the Cayin N8?

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,329 of 12,035
u should try ALo Continental Dual Mono. . my Note 8 became Warm.

I wish I could get my hands on a dual mono. I was able to pick up the CV5 on the black friday deal though. So far loving it and it is so easy to tube roll with. Only draw back is the need for the iematch with solaris or my roxanne.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #2,330 of 12,035
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,331 of 12,035
I wish I could get my hands on a dual mono. I was able to pick up the CV5 on the black friday deal though. So far loving it and it is so easy to tube roll with. Only draw back is the need for the iematch with solaris or my roxanne.
N8 by Cayin sounds better than both of those.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #2,332 of 12,035
my impression for Alo Duo Mono is dark with good resolution... will be better for Headphone usage rather that sensitve IEM....

Is like old days Amp, where u need to warm the tube before use...

N8 by Cayin sounds better than both of those.
hmm U prefer natural with a bit bright?
if you compare that, Mono duo id too dark for you....

like Giorgio said... free ur mind....

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #2,333 of 12,035
So, I just received my LGV40, and I am picking up hiss with the Solaris while music is playing (it's easiest to hear when I turn the volume down). Anyone else noticing this, or is mine defective?

I have the LG G7 and I don't think there is any hiss. Not sure if there is any difference in amp section of the two though.

Which mode is the dac run on? Normal or High impedance?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #2,335 of 12,035
I have the LG G7 and I don't think there is any hiss. Not sure if there is any difference in amp section of the two though.

Which mode is the dac run on? Normal or High impedance?
When I switched poweramps output to High Res (24/192) the hiss went away. I dont notice any hiss changes when I enable the hifi quad dac, maybe a little more background hiss, but it also increases the volume so I cant really accurately compare.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #2,336 of 12,035
When I switched poweramps output to High Res (24/192) the hiss went away. I dont notice any hiss changes when I enable the hifi quad dac, maybe a little more background hiss, but it also increases the volume so I cant really accurately compare.

Sound like software problem. Did you try the stock LG player? Also, the "normal mode" I talked about is actually the mode with quad dac enabled but there are also a high impedance mode which will probably have too much power for the Solaris and will produce hiss. The system usually detect which mode to use automatically once you enable the dac feature (high impedance for iem/hp with over 50 ohm) but the detection system can be messy and choose the less apropriate output.

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #2,337 of 12,035
1) I thought David's song was soooooooo boring.. but hey, what can you expect from a metal head. \m/
2) I love it how people complain about hiss, I keep posting about UAPP but nobody notices and they continue with IEMatch, expensive DAPs and whatnot... :)
3) Tomorrow morning it's Solaris auditioning time. Beware of my pseudo-reviewer wrath! Muahhahaaaa.... ok, ok, I'm alright now.

I'm a metalhead too, auditioning the solaris atm, will share my impessions later.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #2,338 of 12,035
Sound like software problem. Did you try the stock LG player? Also, the "normal mode" I talked about is actually the mode with quad dac enabled but there are also a high impedance mode which will probably have too much power for the Solaris and will produce hiss. The system usually detect which mode to use automatically once you enable the dac feature (high impedance for iem/hp with over 50 ohm) but the detection system can be messy and choose the less apropriate output.
It shouldnt be in high impedance mode as the volume goes to pretty high comfortably. I will try the stock player (google play music) soon.

I still need to compile my post of all the female/higher vocal tracks I listened to and what my thoughts were, and I can tell all you right now that for me the Solaris excells with female/higher register vocals.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #2,339 of 12,035
It shouldnt be in high impedance mode as the volume goes to pretty high comfortably. I will try the stock player (google play music) soon.

I still need to compile my post of all the female/higher vocal tracks I listened to and what my thoughts were, and I can tell all you right now that for me the Solaris excells with female/higher register vocals.
I listen almost exclusively to female vocal and I didn't find it recess at all (like many seem to think). In fact, they are a bit forward to me compare to what I remeber from the one I demoed and bass is slight sloppier as well. Mine is fresh out of the box though so maybe it would change in time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back