Campfire - Solaris
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,456 of 12,035
How durable do people think the paint on the Solaris are? The Andromeda's green paint flaked off pretty easy if you weren't careful about it
I'm waiting for pre-orders to open in the UK :frowning2:

As I said in my review, worried about the gold plating especially on the edges of the shell but so far so good.
I am hyper careful with gear but the previous owner of my 1Z warned me about how fragile gold plating is.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,457 of 12,035
Thank you everyone that has contributed to this thread! Just got the Solaris in and trying to get a good seal with the different tips. Was going to go with spinfits but worried about losing the top end. I've got some Symbio W tips in flight. Any recommendations on double flanged tips for deeper insertion?

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,458 of 12,035
Custom tips are fast becoming my favourite on these - can't beat the seal and comfort of silicone.

Amp8 finally arrived for my DX200 today, so just putting in some time with it now. Might just be expectation bias, but I can see why people prefer it as the top amp on the DX200. Really making my Solaris sing tonight with the 4.4mm Alo Superlitz.

And on a more random note, if you like guitar or instrumental music, this track is great through this setup:

Run Across Desert Sands

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #1,459 of 12,035
DSC06526.JPG

Listening to Charles Mingus Bird Calls while I am typing..SPEECHLESS!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,461 of 12,035
I want to say from memory the IER Z1R actually had the bigger stage vs the Solaris. But from what I am hearing right now. These are no joke either. Everything I am hearing right now is so even handed. Nothing stands out above any of the other frequencies. Z1R bass was up front and the mids were good but warm sounding due to the bass perhaps. Solaris sounds more coherent to me. Out of the box, they sound very roomy. Imaging pops. 3Dness is off the chain. Sub bass already has texture the likes of the best I have heard. Bass is a touch boomy but I can tell it will get tighter and better overall. Mid range is to die for. Treble has shimmer where it counts and most importantly sounds clean. One of the most spacious full directional sounds I have heard on anything.

These are the real deal. Maybe Sony took a listen to the Solaris and had a second thought about releasing the Z1R in their current state. Lol. From what I am reading they are retuning those.

In any case. Glad I jumped in and got a pair. Mine is number 61. I can already tell I am going to be enjoying these a lot. Will be using my Andromeda S on the go and the Solaris for home use. Love em already.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,462 of 12,035
I want to say from memory the IER Z1R actually had the bigger stage vs the Solaris. But from what I am hearing right now. These are no joke either. Everything I am hearing right now is so even handed. Nothing stands out above any of the other frequencies. Z1R bass was up front and the mids were good but warm sounding due to the bass perhaps. Solaris sounds more coherent to me. Out of the box, they sound very roomy. Imaging pops. 3Dness is off the chain. Sub bass already has texture the likes of the best I have heard. Bass is a touch boomy but I can tell it will get tighter and better overall. Mid range is to die for. Treble has shimmer where it counts and most importantly sounds clean. One of the most spacious full directional sounds I have heard on anything.

These are the real deal. Maybe Sony took a listen to the Solaris and had a second thought about releasing the Z1R in their current state. Lol. From what I am reading they are retuning those.

In any case. Glad I jumped in and got a pair. Mine is number 61. I can already tell I am going to be enjoying these a lot. Will be using my Andromeda S on the go and the Solaris for home use. Love em already.
Where's that "These suck. I want my refund!" ??? xD

Let these burn in for 4-5 days, the Solaris bass improves like crazy. It's not even funny how different the bass is 5 days in.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,463 of 12,035
Ya something kinda funny. I was gonna take a pic of it but I might get someone at Campfire Audio in trouble. I opened my box, sealed and all. Opened the large pouch and there it was. I'm not talking about the earphones themselves. I am talking about a piece of someone's hair.

No curlies. short brownish hair. Not something I wanted to see in my $1500 purchase. lol Not a big deal but I was so not expecting someone's hair in my package. Lol.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,465 of 12,035
I want to say from memory the IER Z1R actually had the bigger stage vs the Solaris. But from what I am hearing right now. These are no joke either. Everything I am hearing right now is so even handed. Nothing stands out above any of the other frequencies. Z1R bass was up front and the mids were good but warm sounding due to the bass perhaps. Solaris sounds more coherent to me. Out of the box, they sound very roomy. Imaging pops. 3Dness is off the chain. Sub bass already has texture the likes of the best I have heard. Bass is a touch boomy but I can tell it will get tighter and better overall. Mid range is to die for. Treble has shimmer where it counts and most importantly sounds clean. One of the most spacious full directional sounds I have heard on anything. These are the real deal. Maybe Sony took a listen to the Solaris and had a second thought about releasing the Z1R in their current state. Lol. From what I am reading they are retuning those. In any case. Glad I jumped in and got a pair. Mine is number 61. I can already tell I am going to be enjoying these a lot. Will be using my Andromeda S on the go and the Solaris for home use. Love em already.

Great feedback thanks and the long awaited impressions Solaris vs IER-Z1R are really useful athough they'll go back to the tuning table so... plus was the unit burnt in?

I guess the next question will be what about Andromeda S to Solaris comparison?

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,467 of 12,035
@Dsnuts, Please, please, please say a few words on Andromeda S vs. Solaris. I almost pulled the trigger on Andro S yesterday but pulled back and wanted to get the Solaris, and then even thought about getting both. Please chime in to help. If you have the Solaris will it be redundant to have the Andromeda S? How much different are the two. In other word, if you have the Solaris will you miss the Andromeda S. After I bought the Atlas, I hardly listen to the Vega any more. I have now sold both my Andromeda and Vega ready to get the Solaris and/or Andromeda S.

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,468 of 12,035
From talking to Campfire I was told the Andromeda S has a different tuning in the high mid range over the regular Andro making it stronger in that range. How is Solaris compare to the Andro S in that area?

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #1,470 of 12,035
Honestly if you didn't like your OG Andros enough to keep them, I don't think another Andro with a bit of EQ is going to rock your world. Got for the Solaris.
Actually it is not that I do not like my regular Andro, on the contrary I actually like them a lot. I think they are special and will be a classic. I like them so much that I want to get a better version of Andro (glissy stainless still, limited edition and fuller mid range etc) and hence the Andro S, but then the Solaris thing came along. It is all water under the bridge now as I just ordered the Solaris (another one bite the dust). So right now the remaining question is whether I should still get the Andro S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back