Campfire - Solaris
Nov 9, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,276 of 12,035
So the Oriolus BA300S tube amp for the 1Z is in the house and under testing with the Solaris.

10176978_thumb.jpg

I'll add this in the review when I have had enough time with it but after an hour with it I can say the Solaris scale well and, the very interesting point is that it takes the Solaris a few notches up on the bass... what I did miss with the 1Z alone I don't anymore with the BA300S, the mid bass kick I was missing is here and the best part is that it's without loosing anything in terms of textures and layering quite the contrary :D

I think this small tube amp would pair so very well with the ZX300 as it's the same form factor, making it a potential killer combo for the price.

On monday, I'll get the 8 wire Hansound Zen and then I am set!

I am kind of skeptical that a $350 amp adds fidelity to a $3K DAP. Perhaps it is just adding tube coloration (distortion). You may want to check out the Cayin N8 as an upgrade from 1Z if you like that type of sound, seems more convenient than chaining two devices.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #1,278 of 12,035
You basically have three options if you are considering something beyond the phone. One is to get a dedicated DAP, on which you can spend anywhere from $50ish up to $3500, depending on how TOTL you want to go. They vary in connectivity, features, and sound quality, and what direction you go will depend on what kind of music you listen to (streaming vs. owned, lossless vs lossy files, whether you need DSD or MQA support, etc). Many android-based DACs or ones with wireless capabilities can also be used as bluetooth or LDNA receivers so you can stream music to them (at varying sound quality depending on codec/technology) from your phone.

Option 2 is to go with a dedicated portable dac/amp, which you connect to your phone through an OTG (on the go) cable. There are less expensive ones for $100-200 and they go all the way up to $1000+, varying in both power, versatility, and portability. Some have their own internal batteries, while others, like a audioquest dragonfly or cozoy REI pull power from your phone.

The improvements you will get from both DAPs as well as dedicated portable DAC/amps are usually bass and treble extension, cleaner sound, better sound stage and instrument separation, better layering, and more depth and realism (how much of any of these depends on the specific product). It is not really meaningful to give a percent improvement as what I judge as x% improvement could be much more or much less to you, but suffice to say that with both your vegas or the solaris, you would likely notice a difference. Whether this difference is worth the cost only you can answer.
Appreciate the info

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,279 of 12,035
I am kind of skeptical that a $350 amp adds fidelity to a $3K DAP. Perhaps it is just adding tube coloration (distortion). You may want to check out the Cayin N8 as an upgrade from 1Z if you like that type of sound, seems more convenient than chaining two devices.

Not saying it adds fidelity, and it's not my goal here :)

This specific amp is particular in the sense that it's not operating from lineout and has no volume control, so it's double amping alright. It adds the special touch that tube can bring, while not loosing the qualities of the 1Z that I can see. Since 1Z can't do lineout from the WM port now, you can't really go the traditional way.

I really like how it affect the signature of the Solaris, the effect is much more subtle than I would have anticipated in terms of warmth, it doesn't really add warmth in the sense of shifting the signature but there is a richness to the textures and more mid bass kick there is a benefit to the extra power. This pretty much lifts the last item I felt left wanting with the Solaris : more bass kick while retaining those yummy textures. Right now I am listening to Florence and The Machine "What kind of a man" and the intro bass is kicking much more satisfyingly now, deep, powerful bass kicks in around 1:00 there is a LOT of authority there. Best quality bass I ever experience, mind blown again :D

On a side note, I have had 3 audiophiles I trust listen to the Solaris at meets and impressions are in the "wow, this is good indeed" camp. Soundstage and imaging are the first things that always pop up first.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,280 of 12,035
Imo once you listen to a great dap it's really night and day differnece and you never want to use your phone again. I only use my phone at the gym cause its more portable. However, some people will say the difference is small. Yes, but that small difference is what wows you everytime. Again just one opinion. My gf for example could care less and is completely fine playing music on her iphone speakers so its up to you really.

Cheap daps ive never heard too much difference but the dx150 I thought was a pretty big upgrade in sound and it's only $500. Loved it but it is bulky and ui is clunky. Currently have astell & kern se100 which sounds sublime. The sony wm1a sounded awesome as well.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,281 of 12,035
Imo once you listen to a great dap it's really night and day differnece and you never want to use your phone again. I only use my phone at the gym cause its more portable. However, some people will say the difference is small. Yes, but that small difference is what wows you everytime. Again just one opinion. My gf for example could care less and is completely fine playing music on her iphone speakers so its up to you really.

Cheap daps ive never heard too much difference but the dx150 I thought was a pretty big upgrade in sound and it's only $500. Loved it but it is bulky and ui is clunky. Currently have astell & kern se100 which sounds sublime. The sony wm1a sounded awesome as well.
I disagree. I had a DX200 and the LG V35 offers enough of it that I am comfortable with not owning it anymore.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,283 of 12,035

Depends on the IEM. With the Andromeda, my iPod Touch is just as good as any mid-fi DAP (the likes of ZX2, ZX300, etc in tonality, bass and sound quality. I would definitely use it to demo the Solaris (hopefully a well burned unit) at CanJam next year

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,284 of 12,035

I prefer streaming from Tidal, so that limits my choice of source gear. I usually use my phone or computer to stream and use my Mojo or HA-2SE as a DAC/amp.

I haven't yet auditioned high end DAPs, though. And, in my short head-fi journey, I've found that I notice greater different beteren cans/IEMs than source gear.

That being said, I've kept to mostly mid-fi gear, so I may be missing out. Because I've experienced more difference in cans/IEMs than source gear, I have a hard time spending as much or more on a DAP or DAC/amp than on my IEMs.

Maybe I'll change my mind when/if I demo the 1Z or some high end A&K stuff...but my wallet (and wife) don't want me doing that!

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,286 of 12,035

Depends on the IEM. With the Andromeda, my iPod Touch is just as good as any mid-fi DAP (the likes of ZX2, ZX300, etc in tonality, bass and sound quality. I would definitely use it to demo the Solaris (hopefully a well burned unit) at CanJam next year
My ipod 6gen I think sounded way better than my samsung s6. That was my last apple product but I really liked it. Lasted me about 8 years.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,288 of 12,035
846AEAD9-C531-45D0-903D-BE28849A5910.jpeg

Old picture.

My ipod touch 6G (Flacplayer app by Dan leehr) is a great source, but when I use a switcher box the limitations become clearer between the touch (and lower end daps) and (sometimes mid) to higher end daps in terms of tonality, layering, control, texture, imaging and peak performance of the IEM etc.

Also I find with decent daps I can listen at lower volumes satisfactorily and do not have fatigue when listening for longer periods.

Of course in that time phones have also improved but I havent tried them. (I still have an old flip flop clam shell for years LOL).

But as others have said the bottom line is If you are happy with whatever source you choose, then be happy.

Attachments

• 8E63A0D1-11D9-4233-84B6-9A4F4E1C0A59.jpeg
    8E63A0D1-11D9-4233-84B6-9A4F4E1C0A59.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,289 of 12,035
I disagree. I had a DX200 and the LG V35 offers enough of it that I am comfortable with not owning it anymore.

I really need to borrow someones LG to check out their DAC hardware. I've heard nothing but good things but the one thing I see is you have to use specific earphones to make some features come on. I hear you can kind of hack it but I would think that defeats the purpose. Do you know what I'm talking about? Not totally up on all of it. Just lurked some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back