Campfire - Solaris
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,336 of 12,035
Nope they weren’t burned in but I’d find it hard to believed that burn it would bring them to the levels of treble the Fourte has.

Yeah the Solaris soundstage is great, just preferred the Fourte’s from memory.

Crazy you like the LX. They’re so so different from Forte. I thought Fortes treble was extremely over the top, Sharp, overdone. Worst to my ears than the weird mids. Mid-bass was also not existent, almost a literal hole. But the Forte has so much air between things which is awesome.

U18t / Solaris > LX > Forte for me but we all hear differently.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #1,337 of 12,035
Crazy you like the LX. They’re so so different from Forte. I thought Fortes treble was extremely over the top, Sharp, overdone. Worst to my ears than the weird mids. Mid-bass was also not existent, almost a literal hole. But the Forte has so much air between things which is awesome.

U18t / Solaris > LX > Forte for me but we all hear differently.

I appreciate all sorts of sounds :) yeah that Fourte treble isn’t for everyone for sure.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,338 of 12,035
I've been listening to my Solaris for almost 2 weeks now and have been thoroughly enjoying rediscovering to my music collection. It's extremely well rounded with any genre I throw at it. I've followed this thread since its inception and love reading all the initial impressions.

One thing I'm personally having a different take on is the Solaris highs. In relation to the other main IEM I'm doing most of my comparisons with, an Andromeda S, I'm not getting the same sense of air and sparkle. The Andromeda feels balanced differently in a way that brings out the upper registers on instruments in a pretty magical way that just isn't quite as good with Solaris.

For those of you who are getting an elevated treble performance out of the Solaris, any suggestions what may help? I'm using a QP2R and an LG G7 as my sources, and have an ALO Ref 8 balanced cable when I feel like having fun.
i agreed with you. Im A/B-ing with andro right now. Treble andro > solaris. Solaris's high is still good tho

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #1,341 of 12,035
I thought BA drivers don't need to be "burn-in"?

Yes that’s my view also, never really noticed any burn in required for BA drivers. This being said, some savvy people explained that the crossover components can benefit from burn in so... as someone who didn’t believe in burn in, the Sony DAPs and the AMPs I had changed my mind... dynamic drivers IEM also.

This being said, personally didn’t notice any treble changes during burn-in with the Solaris.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,342 of 12,035
Couldn’t help but join in
It maybe possible that burn in affect the dynamic drivers; bass got tightened etc and thus treble/ Solaris ba drivers are able to come out/perform better? Just my conjecture

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #1,343 of 12,035
Couldn’t help but join in
It maybe possible that burn in affect the dynamic drivers; bass got tightened etc and thus treble/ Solaris ba drivers are able to come out/perform better? Just my conjecture

Good theory, and dynamic drivers do need burn in it’s very clear with the Solaris although not as spectacular as the Vega.
Not sure if the dynamic driver burn in can affect the rendering of the two BA drivers.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #1,344 of 12,035
Yes that’s my view also, never really noticed any burn in required for BA drivers. This being said, some savvy people explained that the crossover components can benefit from burn in so... as someone who didn’t believe in burn in, the Sony DAPs and the AMPs I had changed my mind... dynamic drivers IEM also.

This being said, personally didn’t notice any treble changes during burn-in with the Solaris.

Neither did the Andromeda. It never sounded better or worse over time. Vega did however became more refined after burn-in but nothing like the Yamaha HS7 speakers that I have (night and day difference).

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,345 of 12,035
Neither did the Andromeda. It never sounded better or worse over time. Vega did however became more refined after burn-in but nothing like the Yamaha HS7 speakers that I have (night and day difference).
I think campfire burns in its BA drivers before being shipped.
And match their dynamics after burning them in post production.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #1,346 of 12,035

Out of the box, the Solaris was slightly sibilant. The sibilance has disappeared entirely upon burn in.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #1,347 of 12,035
Campfire has strict quality control. They listen to all their equipment before shipping them out. Which would imply some sort of burn in.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,348 of 12,035
I think campfire burns in its BA drivers before being shipped.
And match their dynamics after burning them in post production.

I’d be interested to know more and get confirmation of this.

The way I interpret it is that it could also be a form of QA rather than a physical necessity for the driver, i.e test that it works properly mechanically speaking and that the FR graph match the intended tuning. Just theorizing there...

Out of the box, the Solaris was slightly sibilant. The sibilance has disappeared entirely upon burn in.

Never was for me and I am sensitive to it, but different sources and different tips mean different story

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,349 of 12,035
Good theory, and dynamic drivers do need burn in it’s very clear with the Solaris although not as spectacular as the Vega.
Not sure if the dynamic driver burn in can affect the rendering of the two BA drivers.
To be clear burn does not affect ba drivers but may affect its wiring. Meanwhile DD drivers do change with burn in.

Since Solaris is hybrid, burn in do improve DD drivers resulting in better tighter bass; less smearing of bass thus it’s possible for treble to be more prominent compared to before

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #1,350 of 12,035
I
To be clear burn does not affect ba drivers but may affect its wiring. Meanwhile DD drivers do change with burn in.

Since Solaris is hybrid, burn in do improve DD drivers resulting in better tighter bass; less smearing of bass thus it’s possible for treble to be more prominent compared to before
I just bought a DM6 and I would have to disagree with that.
Out of the box for the 1s ten hours it was choking on itself. And after a straight 4 day burn, it is really nice to listen to.
Huge transformation.
Its a 5 BA iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back