Campfire - Solaris
Nov 10, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,321 of 12,035
I did ever so briefly.

In my opinion Fourte has better bass soundstage fit and treble

Solaris has better mids by far and is way more affordable.
Were yours fully burned in? Solaris Treble becomes much better and the soundstage opens up quite a bit after burn in (4-5 days).

I believe @twister6 said Solaris soundstage is on par with U18t and tia forte

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,322 of 12,035
Were yours fully burned in? Solaris Treble becomes much better and the soundstage opens up quite a bit after burn in (4-5 days).

I believe @twister6 said Solaris soundstage is on par with U18t and tia forte

Nope they weren’t burned in but I’d find it hard to believed that burn it would bring them to the levels of treble the Fourte has.

Yeah the Solaris soundstage is great, just preferred the Fourte’s from memory.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,323 of 12,035
I did ever so briefly.

In my opinion Fourte has better bass soundstage fit and treble

Solaris has better mids by far and is way more affordable.

Thanks for the reply man. That makes things difficult, as I tend to look at bass and soundstage first. Is it the quantity of bass that is more on the Fourte, or just the bass quality in general? When you say the mids are better on the solaris, in what way do you mean? That price on the Fourte though...oof.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,324 of 12,035
Thanks for the reply man. That makes things difficult, as I tend to look at bass and soundstage first. Is it the quantity of bass that is more on the Fourte, or just the bass quality in general? When you say the mids are better on the solaris, in what way do you mean? That price on the Fourte though...oof.

Keep in mind my Solaris weren’t burned in so maybe someone else can elaborate on the bass for you.

The problem with the Fourte mids is that they just seem so disjointed from the rest of the frequency.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,325 of 12,035
@ExpatinJapan Question for you, what's the device in the center of the pic with the DAPs connected to it? Thanks!
Search ebay for ‘headphone switcher’ its a cheap device - but does the job: called LineP (?).

I did find I had to swap out the stock cables though to make a decent machine of it. (ALO Audio SXC-8 mini to mini cables).

6BD76341-7B25-47E5-A410-27D8F19039D3.jpeg

Now back to your regular scheduled programming!

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,326 of 12,035

I need to spend more time comparing/listening, too many reviews on my plate now and I had to switch gears, but we did mention soundstage of Solaris/Fourte/U18t here.

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #1,327 of 12,035
Sort of, yes because you are not using them to their full potential. It's not an uppity attitude, it's my own opinion, and one that only seems logical to me. I also said you should do what you enjoy and that's all fine as well.

This website didn't give me that attitude, I apply it to everything.

So if you like putting ice cubes in your $500 red wine, then you do you, this is not a judgment of you, but I'm pretty sure that's not the way it was intended to be drunk.
It's like buying a Ferrari and using it to tow a trailer.
You can do it, but its not what it was meant to do.

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,328 of 12,035
So Ive listened to my Vegas and my Solaris from the LG G7 and they both sound amazing to me straight out of the phone. My LG V40 will arrive in a few days.

I travel alot and really dont want to be bothered with babysitting many devices but if its worth it Ill buy whats necessary.

Can someone here enlighten me as to what I am missing? Percentage wise how much better will my listening experience be if I use high end DAPsor any other high end equipment?
I would look at the sony NW-ZX300A, 20-30 hour battery life, and almost top of the line sound from the balanced out.
$380 from some vendors online.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,329 of 12,035
It's like buying a Ferrari and using it to tow a trailer.
You can do it, but its not what it was meant to do.
Hey I drive my Ferrari however the fk I wanna drive it

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #1,330 of 12,035
I would look at the sony NW-ZX300A, 20-30 hour battery life, and almost top of the line sound from the balanced out.
$380 from some vendors online.
Also LG G7 quad DAC is probably better than that

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #1,332 of 12,035
@seamon comon man.....as much as you like your lg phones....don't put down daps. LG phones/sabre dacs are not to my liking. Zx300 balanced is close enough to the wm1a and I know without a doubt in my mind, it'll blow the crap out of the lg phone dac. Its not close. If you want to stick with your LG phone because its convenient, its fine, but don't go around justifying it like its better because its definitely not. I've tried the lg phone dacs. They are ok, but they are still a little worse than the sabre implemenation of a portable dac/amp like LH labs Geekout v2+.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,333 of 12,035
I've been listening to my Solaris for almost 2 weeks now and have been thoroughly enjoying rediscovering to my music collection. It's extremely well rounded with any genre I throw at it. I've followed this thread since its inception and love reading all the initial impressions.

One thing I'm personally having a different take on is the Solaris highs. In relation to the other main IEM I'm doing most of my comparisons with, an Andromeda S, I'm not getting the same sense of air and sparkle. The Andromeda feels balanced differently in a way that brings out the upper registers on instruments in a pretty magical way that just isn't quite as good with Solaris.

For those of you who are getting an elevated treble performance out of the Solaris, any suggestions what may help? I'm using a QP2R and an LG G7 as my sources, and have an ALO Ref 8 balanced cable when I feel like having fun.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,334 of 12,035
I've been listening to my Solaris for almost 2 weeks now and have been thoroughly enjoying rediscovering to my music collection. It's extremely well rounded with any genre I throw at it. I've followed this thread since its inception and love reading all the initial impressions.

One thing I'm personally having a different take on is the Solaris highs. In relation to the other main IEM I'm doing most of my comparisons with, an Andromeda S, I'm not getting the same sense of air and sparkle. The Andromeda feels balanced differently in a way that brings out the upper registers on instruments in a pretty magical way that just isn't quite as good with Solaris.

For those of you who are getting an elevated treble performance out of the Solaris, any suggestions what may help? I'm using a QP2R and an LG G7 as my sources, and have an ALO Ref 8 balanced cable when I feel like having fun.
Andromeda Treble is definitely brighter and extends just a little more than Solaris. It's the way both of these IEMs are tuned

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,335 of 12,035

I'd try IE match to set it to 2.5 ohms and see if you get more sparkle on the Solaris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back