Campfire - Solaris
Apr 25, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #11,073 of 12,035
@Mehran can you compare the solaris SE and imr semper?
Mine is the LE not SE. Haven't heard any of the previous models.
It's only been a few days with the LE, but here it goes.
They sound quite different and can compliment each other nicely IMO. I am using green/green setup on Semper. Even on this setup it has more quantity In bass ,both sub and mid bass compared to the LE. Semper is warmer in the midrange, and it can sound spectacular with the right music , but also sibilant and off on not so well recorded music. The Solaris on the other hand sounds good with everything. It's never sibilant or harsh sounding. Solaris is truly holographic and has bigger soundstage even compared to the MEST. For what it's worth I like it more than the MEST now, it's more analogue and organic IMO especially in the midrange and the way it presents vocals is amazing sometimes. The fit is horrible though , I am still figuring it out. But overall I'm really happy with the purchase.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #11,074 of 12,035
Mine is the LE not SE. Haven't heard any of the previous models.
It's only been a few days with the LE, but here it goes.
They sound quite different and can compliment each other nicely IMO. I am using green/green setup on Semper. Even on this setup it has more quantity In bass ,both sub and mid bass compared to the LE. Semper is warmer in the midrange, and it can sound spectacular with the right music , but also sibilant and off on not so well recorded music. The Solaris on the other hand sounds good with everything. It's never sibilant or harsh sounding. Solaris is truly holographic and has bigger soundstage even compared to the MEST. For what it's worth I like it more than the MEST now, it's more analogue and organic IMO especially in the midrange and the way it presents vocals is amazing sometimes. The fit is horrible though , I am still figuring it out. But overall I'm really happy with the purchase.
interesting, i got the mest too today, not impressed, missing my solaris SE somewhat. plunge absolutely kills the mest. there's just something about the tunings of solaris SE (didnt try LE sadly) and plunge iems that is so damn analogue and realistic.. and that's without taking the massive soundstage into account.

does music sound as small as the mest on the LE? talking instrument size or rather imaging, i noticed the mest is very "precise" but that makes everything sound small and just.. uninteresting, whereas the plungies make everything grand and spectacular.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #11,075 of 12,035
I am not familiar with Plunge. Is that a brand?
If by small you mean note weight or soundstage height I don't find the MEST lacking. Maybe you haven't hear any thin sounding IEM yet, lol.
The Solaris is quite bold and in your face . I don't think there's a problem there.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #11,076 of 12,035
Or his Mest is broken🤭, joke.
I didn’t listen OG, but Mk2 sounds special with my M8

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #11,077 of 12,035
I am not familiar with Plunge. Is that a brand?
If by small you mean note weight or soundstage height I don't find the MEST lacking. Maybe you haven't hear any thin sounding IEM yet, lol.
The Solaris is quite bold and in your face . I don't think there's a problem there.
i heard the ier z1r so..

yes, plunge is a brand.
not sure im talking about weight, sheer size of the way things are presented, if that makes sense!

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #11,078 of 12,035
Z1R is that thin? Didn't know that.
I guess you can say Solaris sounds grander and more enveloping. Instruments and vocals have more body to them.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #11,079 of 12,035
I find music styles have quite a bit of importance between the MEST and Solaris, when comparing. The MKii took me a week (100 hrs burn in+ 20-30 hrs listening) to get the sound to calm down and the highs to settle. My OG Solaris is still better at all rock and metal and older recordings (I guess you could just say "guitars"), MEST is more enjoyable with modern stuff. Jazz right now is an even toss up. I am REALLY liking hip hop, soul, and electronic through the MEST. But if I am going to listen to something like the Talking Heads circa 1980, its Solaris all the way. Imaging on both is comparible and I never feel like one is just so superior to the other. It depends on the master. Nice to have choices. :beerchug:

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #11,080 of 12,035
It's crazy how efficient the Solaris is. Using the stock SE cable I still must go down quite a bit with the volume knob vs other IEMs. I am going to pair it with a balanced cable soon. Hoping to gain some depth in soundstage.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #11,081 of 12,035
It's crazy how efficient the Solaris is. Using the stock SE cable I still must go down quite a bit with the volume knob vs other IEMs. I am going to pair it with a balanced cable soon. Hoping to gain some depth in soundstage.
Oh, you will :wink:

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #11,083 of 12,035

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #11,085 of 12,035
I received my Solaris 2020 from Campfire today and I'm really glad I went with them over one of the larger versions, they fit great but 20% bigger I would have a problem. They sound completely incredible, easily the best IEM I've ever heard and I think I've reached my personal endgame with them. I've only used them with the new R6 on medium gain so far but they have no hiss and volume around 50 is plenty loud, which is comparable to my other IEMs. My only regret is not buying them sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back