Campfire - Solaris
Oct 27, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #211 of 12,035
Solaris?
Equinox?
Can't wait to see some comparisons :)
Well I tried the Equinox and hardware wise and sound wise it's basically a custom Atlas. It sounded very similar to the atlas but the test model was a generic fit shell Ken made - according to him the real deal custom Equinox will have a slightly different sound than Atlas.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #214 of 12,035
Yes, we don't want to turn this into sound-science thread :wink: Some people analyze audio with their eyes by looking at the graphs, others trust their ears and sine-sweeps, I prefer both. At the end of the day it's all about the music (emotions) and the sound (frequencies), that's what matters!!! And I'm personally looking forward to spending time with Solaris and sharing my impressions :)
Trusting ones ear is pretty wrong and lead to snake oil. Hi-fi has nothing to do with preferences.

Oct 27, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #215 of 12,035
Trusting ones ear is pretty wrong and lead to snake oil. Hi-fi has nothing to do with preferences.
You plug it in, you like it you buy it, what is wrong with that?

I think Hi-Fi is really an art of tunning, I actually respect a company which has a house sound and always releases around that. It is harder to maintain consistent sound than just design objectively perfect dap with lifeless sound .

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #217 of 12,035
You plug it in, you like it you buy it, what is wrong with that?

I think Hi-Fi is really an art of tunning, I actually respect a company which has a house sound and always releases around that. It is harder to maintain consistent sound than just design to produce objectively produced, excellently measured product.
Yea agree with you.

Oct 27, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #219 of 12,035
I had a listen at the Tokyo headphone show and also compared to Equinox and Andromeda. I can say for sure that I liked the Solaris best out of the three. I really think the best way to describe the Solaris`sound is, it somehow finds the "middle" of the sound of the two others. So don`t expect an Andromeda with the exact Atlas bass but more of an earphone that combines the important elements of Andromeda and Atlas in a slightly "tamed" manner. Comparing directly to the Equinox (=Atlas), I felt there was slightly less midbass quantity but thicker mids. Subbass rumble was similar in quantity though. Treble seemed slightly less aggressive than Andromeda but still more sparkling than Atlas. Soundstage even wider than Andromeda, maybe also as a result of being vented differently. And sound is a lot thicker than Andromeda. Juicy.
All in all a truly wonderful earphone, even though I am still not happy with the development that universal earphones far beyond 1000 dollar are turning "normal" (no matter whether this is "only" half price of 64 Audio etc.).

Some more side notes:
-I LOVED the build, looks and haptics of the Equinox! To me, one of the most beautiful customs ever created! Also it seems to have finally solved the driver flex issues of th Atlas!
- After touching and listening to the Andromeda S, I still prefer my green Andromeda. But I guess that is a matter of taste in many ways...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #220 of 12,035
What @Omegon said.

I tried both also at the show.
(show impression, so rather surface and not in depth - wait for the full review).

http://www.headpie.net/2018/10/fujiya-avic-headphone-show-102018.html?m=1

518D65D8-0506-48BB-9C14-83F6886DA450.jpeg

Campfire Audio Equinox (universal version of the CIEM)
Smooth, nice bass. Like Atlas but vented, no driver flex.
Universal demo is a good easy fit.
Bass thick and lingering with a fast response, clear treble, more mids than Atlas.
More ‘tame and flatter than Atlas’
Superlicious!

7DFBD018-7258-49F2-8AB7-5E5C88F6E25E.jpeg

Solaris
Wow factor (And I rarely get that these jaded days).
I demoed a burned in unit with a Sony dap and 4.4mm cable. Using foam tips.
Balanced and coherent. Even, but not flat or neutral. But towards that yet in a realistic sense.
It even made me a bit on the verge of being teary eyed, so beautiful sound.
A hydrid done right.
Certainly Campfire Audio have reached a high point of their development within the limits of todays technology.
I remember the first demo unit I recieved from CA the Jupiter and being blown away at the time and later the Andromeda which improved on the Jupiter.
I had a similar experience with the Solaris.
*A short show impression but it certainly left an impact on me.

I enjoyed it so much that I didnt get all analytical whilst listening to it.

07A112F7-8BA6-4F04-A9B3-3C83198B622E.jpeg

Head pie has reviewed most of the CA earphone line up. Check out the reviews in the review section

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #222 of 12,035
I had a listen at the Tokyo headphone show and also compared to Equinox and Andromeda. I can say for sure that I liked the Solaris best out of the three. I really think the best way to describe the Solaris`sound is, it somehow finds the "middle" of the sound of the two others. So don`t expect an Andromeda with the exact Atlas bass but more of an earphone that combines the important elements of Andromeda and Atlas in a slightly "tamed" manner. Comparing directly to the Equinox (=Atlas), I felt there was slightly less midbass quantity but thicker mids. Subbass rumble was similar in quantity though. Treble seemed slightly less aggressive than Andromeda but still more sparkling than Atlas. Soundstage even wider than Andromeda, maybe also as a result of being vented differently. And sound is a lot thicker than Andromeda. Juicy.
All in all a truly wonderful earphone, even though I am still not happy with the development that universal earphones far beyond 1000 dollar are turning "normal" (no matter whether this is "only" half price of 64 Audio etc.).

Some more side notes:
-I LOVED the building, looks and haptics of the Equinox! To me, one of the most beautiful customs ever created! Also it seems to have finally solved the driver flex issues of th Atlas!
- After touching and listening to the Andromeda S, I still prefer my green Andromeda. But I guess that is a matter of taste in many ways...

I can second that in regards to the build quality of Equinox. I was actually amazed how well the generic shell fit me (obviously with foam tips since generic). I think it bodes well for CA's first custom.

Even though I just got the Atlas and love it, Ive been thinking of getting the Equinox for the added comfort level.

Although, same price as Solaris so I'm not sure which route I'd rather go.

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #223 of 12,035
I can second that in regards to the build quality of Equinox. I was actually amazed how well the generic shell fit me (obviously with foam tips since generic). I think it bodes well for CA's first custom.

Even though I just got the Atlas and love it, Ive been thinking of getting the Equinox for the added comfort level.

Although, same price as Solaris so I'm not sure which route I'd rather go.

Buy Solaris and get a custom tips?

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #224 of 12,035
So it seems that Polaris has a thick and lush sound, a little slower without being muddy, highs are warmer than andromeda. Probably not the atlas andromeda hybrid people were hoping for.

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #225 of 12,035
Thanks for this, I only have two units to review, and I already feel exhausted. I prefer to create and write impression thread than reviews, but I guess this isn't what most manufacturers want.

+1 I realized this and gained a new understanding of what reviewers are facing (but I didn't get a free unit :wink: ) when I did my first review for the CL2, much harder than impressions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back