Campfire - Solaris
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2,207 of 12,035
Speaking of tips, what are everyones favorite tips for the Solaris? I have pretty small ear canals and can only get a good fit with the smallest on the right and second smallest on the left with the final tips that came with them. Im not sure what these are like SQ wise comparatively because they are the only ones that fit well so far :/
Only getting a good seal with medium foam tips, but that's nearly for every IEM I've used in the past. Not sure how this changes the sound, but I really dig what I'm hearing. Man, that subbass..

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,209 of 12,035
If deep insertion is preferable with Solaris, should give double flanged Spinfits or E-Pro tips a try.

(Also, hope nobody overreacts this time to Crinacle’s impressions. Apparently the second demo was better in general, but with the same perceived flaws.)
The second set of measurements makes me a) question if I got a "bad" pair of Solaris (I.e. one like crinacle used for his v1 measurements), since I and a few others seem to be in the minority re: vocals and b) makes me question CA quality control...

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #2,210 of 12,035
I am right now deciding between spiral dots, symbio peeled, and spinfits. Not sure which one would fit best (and sound best) as the smallest size on the final work best for me. The small foams work well too, but its a pain to put them in, and take them out.

I tried all three of those (spiral dots, spinfits, symbio peeled) symbios have been my favorite. Spiral dots wouldn't be too bad if my ears didn't form condensation so fast. I think you will be please with the Symbios :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,211 of 12,035
The second set of measurements makes me a) question if I got a "bad" pair of Solaris (I.e. one like crinacle used for his v1 measurements), since I and a few others seem to be in the minority re: vocals and b) makes me question CA quality control...
I was just over at Campfire Audio, and they assured me that quality control is so strict that even if there is the most minor deviation from "perfect" It gets tossed or turned to b-stock. I also asked if they had gotten any b-stock Solaris, and they said that all along the way, their QC is so strict that they havent gotten any yet, and they don't think they will get many (maybe even none).

So it must just be their tuning, or maybe an exaggeration from the measurment rig too? some really love it (me) and some dont.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,212 of 12,035
I was just over at Campfire Audio, and they assured me that quality control is so strict that even if there is the most minor deviation from "perfect" It gets tossed or turned to b-stock. I also asked if they had gotten any b-stock Solaris, and they said that all along the way, their QC is so strict that they havent gotten any yet, and they don't think they will get many (maybe even none).

So it must just be their tuning, or maybe an exaggeration from the measurment rig too? some really love it (me) and some dont.
I don't know, love him or hate him, the crinacle guy does seem to know how to take measurements. My issue is not "not liking" the Solaris, I actually love them 90% of the time, it is an issue with recessed vocals on some tracks, which would seem to point to an issue with driver tuning. Just wondering is something unforseen could be creeping through QC

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,213 of 12,035
Aside from vocals featured in jpop, not sure there is a real issue for most of us... I don't hear the so called recessed vocals, examples please?

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #2,214 of 12,035
Aside from vocals featured in jpop, not sure there is a real issue for most of us... I don't hear the so called recessed vocals, examples please?
Have you tried any JPOP?

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #2,215 of 12,035
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #2,216 of 12,035
Nope, I wouldn't know where to begin honestly
Lmao same here hahahaha that made me laugh out loud. Haha
Edit: I can't ever see myself listening to Jpop, if you catch me doing that, please put me out of my misery.

Disclaimer: Not that I have anything against JPOP.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,217 of 12,035
I don't know, love him or hate him, the crinacle guy does seem to know how to take measurements

Oh come on guys, find what KenB said about measurements and how much money he had to spent on tools and how these need to be calibrated to return any significant results. Besides that, I don't think there is a conspiracy among other manufacturers that they don't publish them. These are just not that much important to how you hear the sound. Crinacle measure these iems mostly at some shows or shops, how this can be any reliable???

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #2,218 of 12,035
If measurements were all there was to tuning earphones, that would be the easiest job in the world.
And every iem would sound exactly the same, and perfect.
I see graphs, I go to sleep :wink:

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,220 of 12,035
Oh come on guys, find what KenB said about measurements and how much money he had to spent on tools and how these need to be calibrated to return any significant results. Besides that, I don't think there is a conspiracy among other manufacturers that they don't publish them. These are just not that much important to how you hear the sound. Crinacle measure these iems mostly at some shows or shops, how this can be any reliable???

Its still reliable because Crinacle isn't changing how he's measuring the IEMs. His measurements are still reliable, they can only be compared with other earphones he's measured on his own personal system and cannot be cross-compared. That's how you're meant to use hobbyist measurements. That's how he figured out 64Audio screwed up his N8, by comparing the bass measured between the demo model (that he liked) and the CIEM model (that he didn't like).

Someone like Ken Ball might spend a boatload of cash on a proper measuring system with the sole purpose of accuracy* because he's there to design, make and sell earphones that sound good. In all actuality with good ears, consistent measurement processes and measurements of earphones he thinks sound right, he probably wouldn't need those expensive calibrated measurement rigs. But that wouldn't be professional at all.

I think people really overestimate how much effort you need to get a databank of useful acoustic data. Once you get the insertion depth and seal just right, its perfectly easy to gather rough reliable data on an earphone's tonality**. The man himself is also listening to the earphones personally and he's stated that they sounded noticeably different.

*Which isn't always accurate for everyone, everyone's HTRF is different and no measurement rig can compensate for that. I personally need a lot more 1-5khz energy than most people. Diffuse field tuned earphones are perfect examples of how everyone's HTRF is different, some people hate how they sound while others think it sounds just right as theory intended.

**Tonality does not take into account other things like bass heft, soundstage, distortion, coherency and so forth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back