Campfire - Solaris
Dec 11, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #2,191 of 12,035
I disagree with that, since there’s a pretty wide range of sound signatures at each tier. Obviously tier lists will have some degree of subjectivity to them, but his doesn’t seem as affected by sonic preferences.

(You can disagree with the ratings, but let’s be real - if someone’s clumping the likes of Zeus/Prophile-8/Gemini/CE-5 in the same general rank, that goes beyond preferred sound signature.)
Zeus especially the XIV does most things better than Andromeda. Soundstage, Imaging, Detail, Transparency, Midrange all go to Zeus. If Zeus has been ranked lower than Andro, you might not like it but it's definitely biased upon the reviewer's Sound Signature Preference. It's pretty common tho, reviewers usually base ranking off of their Sound Signature Preferences.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,193 of 12,035
Zeus especially the XIV does most things better than Andromeda. Soundstage, Imaging, Detail, Transparency, Midrange all go to Zeus. If Zeus has been ranked lower than Andro, you might not like it but it's definitely biased upon the reviewer's Sound Signature Preference. It's pretty common tho, reviewers usually base ranking off of their Sound Signature Preferences.

Not sure why Zeus vs. Andromeda is coming up in a Solaris thread, but my point was that if your statement was correct, you’d see a much greater clumping of sound signatures in the list. I may not agree with how high/low he places different IEMs, but I can respect that the guy at least gives differently tuned products a fair chance. I don’t think anyone should be disparaging the overall result over a harmless difference in opinion.

Obviously we all have our own preferences, and we all hear things differently. I don’t think I ever disputed that. (In fact, the status quo in Korea can basically be summed up as “screw reviews and actually go listen to the damn thing before you buy it, since nobody can tell you what will sound good to you.” It’s pretty good advice, really.)

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,194 of 12,035
The Acoustune AET07 tip pairs well with the Solaris. Bass is articulate, midrange is not the most forward with great clarity and treble is extended nicely with crisp. There is a large expansion in its soundstage.

upload_2018-12-12_1-20-43.png

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #2,195 of 12,035
That explains a lot. Tip rolling is a must.
@davidmolliere has them inserted deep with his U900 tips, which is probably ideal.
The spiral dots are not only wide, they also allow deeper insertion, and change the signature.
Very similar to the CL2 I own, tips change the sound dramatically.
Edit: tips are the least talked about factor when people discuss sound signatures.

Indeed and they play a crucial role... this can be fun but also a pain especially to compare impressions as anyway we have very different ears and conduits... CIEM are clearly better in that respect. I am « blessed » with big ears and wide conduit that are straight...

Anyway crinacle has quite the opposite opinion on tips, « I preferred the Solaris on narrow bore silicone tips. Wide bores can get a little harsh and foamies just destroy definition. » I for one found that the tips with narrower bore make the Solaris sound artificially boosted and sound V shaped loosing a lot of nuance but as usual YMMV.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #2,196 of 12,035
Not sure why Zeus vs. Andromeda is coming up in a Solaris thread, but my point was that if your statement was correct, you’d see a much greater clumping of sound signatures in the list. I may not agree with how high/low he places different IEMs, but I can respect that the guy at least gives differently tuned products a fair chance. I don’t think anyone should be disparaging the overall result over a harmless difference in opinion.

Obviously we all have our own preferences, and we all hear things differently. I don’t think I ever disputed that. (In fact, the status quo in Korea can basically be summed up as “screw reviews and actually go listen to the damn thing before you buy it, since nobody can tell you what will sound good to you.” It’s pretty good advice, really.)

My point was, the list favors some aspects over another, tonality and transparency being two of most favored.
Correct tonality imo differs from person to person. Andromeda to me sounds tonally meh. It has way too much Treble and the bass and mids sound nowhere lifelike to me. It might be different for you or someone else who might hear the Andro as more tonally correct. I think this factors in greatly why Zeus and Solaris were ranked lower which are undoubtedly overall better IEMs than Andromeda but not sound as tonally correct to some.
At the end of the day, it's just opinion of one guy who has a certain set of preferences and a particular tonal accuracy that sounds good to him.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,197 of 12,035
Indeed and they play a crucial role... this can be fun but also a pain especially to compare impressions as anyway we have very different ears and conduits... CIEM are clearly better in that respect. I am « blessed » with big ears and wide conduit that are straight...

Anyway crinacle has quite the opposite opinion on tips, « I preferred the Solaris on narrow bore silicone tips. Wide bores can get a little harsh and foamies just destroy definition. » I for one found that the tips with narrower bore make the Solaris sound artificially boosted and sound V shaped loosing a lot of nuance but as usual YMMV.

The Final Audio tips have a relatively narrower bore I think and they sounded super harsh to me.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,198 of 12,035
Speaking of tips, what are everyones favorite tips for the Solaris? I have pretty small ear canals and can only get a good fit with the smallest on the right and second smallest on the left with the final tips that came with them. Im not sure what these are like SQ wise comparatively because they are the only ones that fit well so far :/

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,199 of 12,035

I am in the same boat as you, I think narrow bores artificially boost the sound, and really mess with separation, definition, and soundstage.
Maybe my ears are shaped like yours, because the difference to me is pretty stark.
Almost makes you wonder what other people are hearing.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,200 of 12,035
The Final Audio tips have a relatively narrower bore I think and they sounded super harsh to me.

Yeah I dropped them right away when I got the Solaris...

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #2,201 of 12,035
Speaking of tips, what are everyones favorite tips for the Solaris? I have pretty small ear canals and can only get a good fit with the smallest on the right and second smallest on the left with the final tips that came with them. Im not sure what these are like SQ wise comparatively because they are the only ones that fit well so far :/
Acoustune AET07 & Symbio W Peel

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,202 of 12,035
That reminds me - muse see if I can fit a pair of Flares Audiophile foams on the Solaris - wide bore with a cone shaped nozzle that keeps getting wider the further Ingrid the sad it goes. Still loving my custom tips, but just wondering what effect a super open bore would have.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #2,203 of 12,035
I use Jvc spiral dots size small....

I spent $100 on new tips once I got the Solaris to make sure I got the best fit and sound. I wanted yo make sure I wasnt overlooking anything..So Ive gone through a myriad of tips and these are the best. ( usually I use medium size tips for other Iems but for the Solaris I came down a size to compensate for the large nozzle and the fit is great)

The final e tips included destroy everything thats special about the Solaris for me...they are my least favorite.

Dec 11, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,204 of 12,035
@Mikelowry For that price you could easily have gotten custom ear tips :wink:

I'll report when I have custom art tips, I am pretty curious to get a feel of what the Solaris sound like with perfect fit.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,205 of 12,035
I use Jvc spiral dots size small....

I spent $100 on new tips once I got the Solaris to make sure I got the best fit and sound. I wanted yo make sure I wasnt overlooking anything..So Ive gone through a myriad of tips and these are the best. ( usually I use medium size tips for other Iems but for the Solaris I came down a size to compensate for the large nozzle and the fit is great)

The final e tips included destroy everything thats special about the Solaris for me...they are my least favorite.
I am right now deciding between spiral dots, symbio peeled, and spinfits. Not sure which one would fit best (and sound best) as the smallest size on the final work best for me. The small foams work well too, but its a pain to put them in, and take them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back