Campfire Dorado 2020
Apr 2, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,381 of 1,452
Apr 3, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #1,383 of 1,452
Currently I am going through the thread for tip recommendations... does anyone know the approximate nozzle size so I don't buy an expensive eartip that won't fit?
I recently bought some foam tips off eBay with 4-5mm core (red). They go on a little tight and do not come off easily. Very comfortable, consistent sound, and good isolation.

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #1,384 of 1,452
I ended up getting some Sidna Earfitlights (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083XKSMVB). works well, they fit on well and the opening is wide enough to let all the sound ports go through. I feel like the fit is better for me than a lot of the other eartips that came with the IEM's. Biggest thing is that they are easy to put on.. I had some issue with other eartips with the placement and angle of insertion, where the highs started to sound muffled or I didn't get a good seal and got thin bass.

Currently have the Qudalex 5k, but I have been eyeing that iDSD gryphon and is on my wish list, just a steep price point after spending this much on the IEM's themselves.

May 8, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,385 of 1,452
Just received my Drop pair hoping for a good, bassy complement to my Holocenes and after a few hours listening to them I am more than sold. These are just wonderful - liquid and luscious with the bass I really missed on the Holocenes. The treble is sparkly and airy. The mids are great and in just the right place for the sound I imagine CA wanted to deliver. The soundstage is actually quite amazing ... it's as if the music fills the space all around my head. I'm not an expert at all but i have a fair investment in mid-range amps, dacs, headphones and IEMs and consider the Dorado 2020 to be amazing. Been sitting here at home all morning doing a difficult contract review and listening to the Dorados on my M11 Plus and ... wow ... really happy with them, especially considering the Drop price. The bass ... I am just loving that!

May 27, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #1,387 of 1,452
Has anyone heard or own both the IE600 and the 2020 Dorados?
How do they compare regarding siblance?

I have the Dorados but am looking to try the IE600s. The Dorados are great but on a few tracks they are quite harsh/spicy/siblant, irrespective of tips. As an example for harshness, the Portishead album and the Elliott Smith album. Granted, siblance/harshness is mostly via the recording but the Dorados deal less well with it than my Fiio FH3s, which are smoother. My frame of reference also includes the excellent Thieaudio Monarch Mk2. Unfortunately those were just too big and did not fit comfortably so I sold them on. Am yet to hear anything better.
How about (I'm using a translator to answer), I also experienced very harsh treble on my dorado 2020 on a large number of tracks with my sources (lg g8x, lg v50, lg 60 and hiby r3 pro) until I change the original cable by an Effect audio ares II+ and the problem disappeared permanently.
Ironically, when I upgraded to a higher-end Dap (Shanling M6 pro 21) this problem never appeared with the original cable, so it would be a possible solution to your problem to change the cable to a pure copper one without having to spend so much on a new iem.

May 29, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,388 of 1,452
How about (I'm using a translator to answer), I also experienced very harsh treble on my dorado 2020 on a large number of tracks with my sources (lg g8x, lg v50, lg 60 and hiby r3 pro) until I change the original cable by an Effect audio ares II+ and the problem disappeared permanently.
Ironically, when I upgraded to a higher-end Dap (Shanling M6 pro 21) this problem never appeared with the original cable, so it would be a possible solution to your problem to change the cable to a pure copper one without having to spend so much on a new iem.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,390 of 1,452
Love my Dorado 2020, it is just right in the treble for me. For me, it is just bit too dark (I started my hifi journey on the Ety ER4P), but my brain adjusts if I'm away from it for more than a day or 2.

It is possible that the sibilance you are hearing is coming from a poor quality mp3 bitrate, just guessing?? I recently re-ripped a bunch of my CD's to flac and border-line sibilance went away on several songs.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #1,391 of 1,452
Love my Dorado 2020, it is just right in the treble for me. For me, it is just bit too dark (I started my hifi journey on the Ety ER4P), but my brain adjusts if I'm away from it for more than a day or 2.

It is possible that the sibilance you are hearing is coming from a poor quality mp3 bitrate, just guessing?? I recently re-ripped a bunch of my CD's to flac and border-line sibilance went away on several songs.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #1,392 of 1,452
No, I barely have anything that is below CD quality. The bitrate doesn't cause sibilance anyway, the combination of recording/mastering quality of the track and tuning of your listening device does that. It is just the tuning of the Dorados unfortunately. The sibilance is across a range of music from CD rips to 192 kHz at 24 bit. The Dorados seem to coax out any sort of harshness and emphasise it while my Fiio FH3s do a much better job with the same music. With a lot of my music the Dorados don't have sibilance but it is present more often than I'd like, to the point where I rarely use them now.

Feel free to test for yourself if you have streaming but the 2023 Victims and Villains album by Musiq Soulchild sounds very sibilant to me on the Dorados. Sounds good on my FH3s.
This is interesting, I also have the Fiio Fh3 and the Dorado 2020 and although I consider the gold to be a brighter iem than the Fh3, I do not perceive it with treble as aggressive as you indicate.
What dac or dap are you using?
20230605_183106.jpg

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #1,393 of 1,452
I also found the Dorado 2020 treble fatiguing. Ended up selling them and got the Vega 2020 instead. They sound amazing (in combination with my Mojo2) but many find them way to dark...
I had the dorado 2020 for a little while when they first launched. I enjoyed them but also found the treble a bit fatiguing. Sold them after a short while. Just picked up the vega 2020 a few weeks ago and its definitely more to my liking and likely the pair I should have picked up originally.

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #1,394 of 1,452
No, I barely have anything that is below CD quality. The bitrate doesn't cause sibilance anyway, the combination of recording/mastering quality of the track and tuning of your listening device does that. It is just the tuning of the Dorados unfortunately. The sibilance is across a range of music from CD rips to 192 kHz at 24 bit. The Dorados seem to coax out any sort of harshness and emphasise it ...
Well, you know your music and ears. Maybe I'm hearing some sibilance in some music but it doesn't bother me.

I had the FH5 for a while and it was both "safer" sounding but too mid-centered for me. I like the Dorado strong V-shape sound.

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #1,395 of 1,452
Campfire Market recently had a deal on pre-owned Dorado 2020 and I went for it. I've used my WM1A single ended and fell right into a comfort zone with the marshmallow tips. I can see Dorado 2020 fitting right into my rotation along with the classic Lyra II and Supermoon ciem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back