Campfire Dorado 2020
Dec 14, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #1,426 of 1,452
I moved to Xe6 too - it's "simillar" but more classy in many aspects.
But still own Dorado and can't decide to get rid of it.
That premium feel of ceramic shells and nice "click" while inserting - there is probably nothing like this on the market?
Yes, this (oh, the ceramic ❤️) and the fact I bought them at such a discount, likely means I won't let them go (credit to @Rockwell75 for explaining why I'd like them, as he often is, right on the money).

And now I've got this new, awesome CFA BS, which as a complement to the Dorado, could make any sensible, bass-loving audiophile super happy for good! As a pair, they are pretty great!

Edit: I would not consider myself a sensible audiophile.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #1,427 of 1,452
My advice, don't sit on an IEM you're so-so on. I did that with Andromeda because tier lists/reviewers said it rocked their world. But I've been much happier with the cheaper Dorado. You know when you find the one :wink:
one has bass :wink: the other reproduces it

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #1,429 of 1,452
Has anyone compared these with the Senn IE600 and can offer some thoughts? Trying to decide on either of these as a next purchase.
I have the Dorado 2020s and had the IE600s for a few weeks before selling them on the IE600s. I definitely prefer the Dorado 2020s over the IE600s.

IE600s
I thought that they were.. just ok. Treble felt somewhat recessed; perhaps because of the 4k-6k dip which EQing didn't seem to fix. Bass was .. ok. Soundstage again, just ok.
They didn't have the amazing soundstage of the Andromeda 2020s or the thumping bass and in-your-face presentation of the Dorado 2020s. In short, jack of all trades and master of none.
I got my wife who likes music to try the IE600s blind as well and she also thought that they were just ok but she does really like the Andromeda 2020s.

That being said, many reviewers seem to love the IE600s so perhaps I had a dud copy or maybe I just have different tastes..

Dorado 2020
Energetic V shaped tuning. As compared with the IE600s;
Bass: More energetic and thumping but sometimes bleed into the mid range making them sound muddy. Can be fixed with EQ (-1 or 2 dB at 250hz or see other recommendations above)
Treble: Slightly more recessed but can be fixed with EQ (+1 or 2 dB at 4khz)
Soundstage: Both have an average soundstage

If you listen to more energetic genres like pop or electronic, I would definitely consider the Dorado 2020s but if you listen to genres like classical, jazz, etc. the IE600s are probably a better bet.

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,430 of 1,452
Head-fier @Redcarmoose said that the IE600 is similar to
That being said, many reviewers seem to love the IE600s so perhaps I had a dud copy or maybe I just have different tastes..
Yes, definitely seems like many people do not like a strong treble region. Maybe many of them grew up 15-20 years ago listening to Beats or Dr Dre headphones -- boomy, muddy, etc.!!

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #1,431 of 1,452
Head-fier @Redcarmoose said that the IE600 is similar to

Yes, definitely seems like many people do not like a strong treble region. Maybe many of them grew up 15-20 years ago listening to Beats or Dr Dre headphones -- boomy, muddy, etc.!!
Must be someone else, i’ve never heard the IE600?

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #1,432 of 1,452
Red Carmoose doesn't do German IEM's. I am almost positive he's reviewed every Penon/Apos offering to date though :L3000:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #1,433 of 1,452
Red Carmoose doesn't do German IEM's. I am almost positive he's reviewed every Penon/Apos offering to date though :L3000:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I have two pairs of Austria made AKG k701s, but that is as far as I have gone? But I’m 100% 1/2 German?

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,434 of 1,452
Effect Audio Eros S 1st Anniversary Edition cable, really nice match both in looks and sound..
IMG_5815 N PS Head-Fi.jpg

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #1,435 of 1,452
2 months with these iems and they still blow me away. With EDM they are insane, the thickness, the bass response and sound signature, just bliss. So glad I tried 20+ iems at canjam to get my tastes down.

I don't think they synergise well with go blu. They lose a lot of composure and 3 dimensionality compared to my macbook headphone jack. Just ordered a L&P W2 dac to test them wired, will feedback on synergy...

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #1,436 of 1,452
After owning these for a day and tip rolling all the stock tips I have some early impressions.

First of all I'm like 85% sure whoever designed the sound on these was using foam tips when they did the tuning, and as a result most if not all complaints stem from using something other than foam tips when the listener formed their opinions.

With the best fitting final tip brand tip for my ears these sound, like the high end has a whole 'nother dimension on some songs but on others it makes it sound thin and shrill if you crank the volume, so you end up turning the volume way down from the foam tip settings. The real problem is on most songs they sound thin when using silicone tips, dare I say it sounds like straight crap and worthy of the hate these so often get.

Now, put on the foam tips and crank the volume and you hear what I'm almost certain the sound designer intended for you to hear. The mids are no like longer thin but there's heft, a chonkiness.

It sounds like a good car system with an 8" subwoofer maybe a 10" maybe. The volume seems like it's meant to be cranked on these too. Enjoy!

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #1,437 of 1,452
After owning these for a day and tip rolling all the stock tips I have some early impressions.

First of all I'm like 85% sure whoever designed the sound on these was using foam tips when they did the tuning, and as a result most if not all complaints stem from using something other than foam tips when the listener formed their opinions.

With the best fitting final tip brand tip for my ears these sound, like the high end has a whole 'nother dimension on some songs but on others it makes it sound thin and shrill if you crank the volume, so you end up turning the volume way down from the foam tip settings. The real problem is on most songs they sound thin when using silicone tips, dare I say it sounds like straight crap and worthy of the hate these so often get.

Now, put on the foam tips and crank the volume and you hear what I'm almost certain the sound designer intended for you to hear. The mids are no like longer thin but there's heft, a chonkiness.

It sounds like a good car system with an 8" subwoofer maybe a 10" maybe. The volume seems like it's meant to be cranked on these too. Enjoy!
Completely agree, can’t listen to them with anything other than Foams. That goes for Atlas and Vega 2020 as well… they just sound straight up wrong to me with silicone

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #1,438 of 1,452

My perception is different, or let’s say other way round, whatever tips are used they need to deliver a complete seal (silicone or foam) and I think this highly related with the Dorado 2020 form factor, which is very loose on the ear (something that changed big time on chromatic series), so the tip have 2 roles sealing and holding to the ear.

My favourite tips to enjoy the bassy profile of the Dorado 2020 are: Divinus Velvet, Spinfit W1 or CP100+, final audio type E, Penon Liqueur Orange… if I want to tame Bass a bit, Azla Xelastec, Clarion, marshmallows…

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #1,439 of 1,452
My perception is different, or let’s say other way round, whatever tips are used they need to deliver a complete seal (silicone or foam) and I think this highly related with the Dorado 2020 form factor, which is very loose on the ear (something that changed big time on chromatic series), so the tip have 2 roles sealing and holding to the ear.

My favourite tips to enjoy the bassy profile of the Dorado 2020 are: Divinus Velvet, Spinfit W1 or CP100+, final audio type E, Penon Liqueur Orange… if I want to tame Bass a bit, Azla Xelastec, Clarion, marshmallows…
I haven't tried all of those so I can't comment directly but I did get a seal on silicon tips.

It took going to the second to the largest tips but once I put those in it created driver flex and felt like my ears were plugged up with water. I then adjusted it a little to get it just right.

On some songs the bass hit deeper and the highs, like I said, another dimension but no mids at all and it overall sounded thin on most songs. I get some people might prefer the 3 dimensional larger soundstage it provides but there's no meat in that sandwich. And it doesn't sound cohesive.

The song that really made clear the difference was:

David Guetta & Bebe Rexha - I'm Good

The difference is night and day where all the sounds from the bass to the highs sound cohesive and thick with the foams and like a wet noodle with the silicone, even with a good seal

My theory is the sound designer used foams when tuning.

The foams fix all the complaints ppl have with these like the recessed mids and the treble being simblant at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back