Campfire Dorado 2020
Jan 29, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,096 of 1,452
Wow-- you're the first person I've encountered who's heard the Shrink Ray-- how is it, especially relative to other versions of the Solaris?

Wish I could help you more on Shrink Ray. Listened for 2 minutes on phone/spotify/apple dongle, and have very few points of reference. That said, I remember them sounding good (duh). Maybe slightly more meaty than Andromeda 2020, more substantial, which I suppose mostly came from the low end. But, there was also some mildly piercing treble that I hadn't heard on Andromeda. That kinda put me off quickly, plus the ~$700 extra over Ara. I'd give them another chance though.

If you have the means get a hold of a Shanling M8 or a Cayin RU6-- both are amazing and bring out the best of the Dorado 2020.

The Cayin RU6. Yes! Thanks. Was looking at that vs Sparrow, but latter seems to have EMI/phone interference issues. What does the RU6 do for the Dorados?

Vision Ears EXT is the IEM you want :)

Well, ha, I was afraid someone would mention a $4,000 option. Curious about the Canadian tour. Also curious how the Dorado would compare to Nio, or u6t, or Tia Trio but there's nowhere in Toronto to demo any of this stuff.

Another couple days with the Dorado 2020s. Really appreciating how mind-blowing they sound with sparse music, or really any music that's not a jumbled wall of sound. Hearing more of the recording quality of albums too, something I never noticed before, which is cool to hear.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #1,097 of 1,452
The Cayin RU6. Yes! Thanks. Was looking at that vs Sparrow, but latter seems to have EMI/phone interference issues. What does the RU6 do for the Dorados?

The RU6 has a real natural, effortless, organic tonality that seems to elevate everything plugged into it. It's hard to explain really. With Dorado it amplifies many of those characteristics which are naturally present in the IEM anyway.

Well, ha, I was afraid someone would mention a $4,000 option. Curious about the Canadian tour. Also curious how the Dorado would compare to Nio, or u6t, or Tia Trio but there's nowhere in Toronto to demo any of this stuff.

I haven't heard the u6t but if I had to guess main differences would be standard BA vs. DD stuff. The Trio is more technical but also a lot more bright with thinner mids-- that was basically the deal breaker for me there when I demoed Trio a couple years go. One of my favorite qualities of Dorado is its rich bodied midrange...brought to you by the wonderful DD.

Nio is a different beast as well. Dorado's mail appeal to me is its rich weighted ballsy sound-- a quality that not a lot of IEMs seem to have to the same degree and is noticeable in the mids. Nio has nice bass, but it doesn't thump as hard as Dorado and the mids on the Nio, while more consistently present and detailed, don't came off quite thin to my ears relative to the bass. I had the Nio on hand for about a month once and the contrast between the bass & mids didn't really work for me. A lot of people love it though so YMMV.

RE the Canadian tour-- you're quite new here and usually (for obvious reasons) we prefer applicants to be at least a little established around here. There's a lot of $$ in that tour package. That said it probably won't be arriving in Ontario for another 3 months or so and if you maintain a consistent presence around here I'd be happy to have you sign up for the tour.

Another couple days with the Dorado 2020s. Really appreciating how mind-blowing they sound with sparse music, or really any music that's not a jumbled wall of sound. Hearing more of the recording quality of albums too, something I never noticed before, which is cool to hear.

+1

They're an addictive sound...not for everyone but they have a unique niche and imho they nail it.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #1,098 of 1,452
I have enjoyed Trio for four years now and the Dorado 2020 has me curious. Unfortunately, CFA sound pipes are typically too big for my ear canals...

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,099 of 1,452
I have enjoyed Trio for four years now and the Dorado 2020 has me curious. Unfortunately, CFA sound pipes are typically too big for my ear canals...

Dorado's nozzles are smaller/thinner than other CFA IEMs. It's one of the best fitting and most comfortable IEMs I've tried. If you're interested in a 64 Audio take on essentially the same sort of sound and don't need total isolation the Duo is a solid choice imho. It doesn't quite have the personality of the Dorado 2020 but it's very enjoyable in its own right.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #1,100 of 1,452
This is such a killer combo! It's amazing that music can sound so rich and alive from such minuscule little gear.

IMG-4072.jpg

The RU6 has a real natural, effortless, organic tonality that seems to elevate everything plugged into it. It's hard to explain really. With Dorado it amplifies many of those characteristics which are naturally present in the IEM anyway.

RE the Canadian tour-- you're quite new here and usually (for obvious reasons) we prefer applicants to be at least a little established around here. There's a lot of $$ in that tour package. That said it probably won't be arriving in Ontario for another 3 months or so and if you maintain a consistent presence around here I'd be happy to have you sign up for the tour.

Tried an RU6 yesterday and bought it. You're right. To me, versus Dragonfly red, music now sounds more detailed AND it has a better flow... or something like that. Cymbals and snares sound more lively too.

On the EXT, good to know. Thanks. Not sure I want to ruin myself listening to $4k earphones though...

For what it's worth, Dorado have thin sound pipes. Easier to fit than Solaris 2020 for sure and they feel super secure.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,101 of 1,452
On the EXT, good to know. Thanks. Not sure I want to ruin myself listening to $4k earphones though...

$3K if you think in USD...probably closer to $2.3K if you're patient and willing to play the used market :wink:

Glad you're enjoying the RU6...it's an amazing device.

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #1,102 of 1,452
This is such a killer combo! It's amazing that music can sound so rich and alive from such minuscule little gear.

IMG-4072.jpg

Tried an RU6 yesterday and bought it. You're right. To me, versus Dragonfly red, music now sounds more detailed AND it has a better flow... or something like that. Cymbals and snares sound more lively too.

For what it's worth, Dorado have thin sound pipes. Easier to fit than Solaris 2020 for sure and they feel super secure.

Also, you should try and get ahold of a balanced cable if you can-- Dorado responds very well to a bit of extra juice.

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,104 of 1,452
Dorado's nozzles are smaller/thinner than other CFA IEMs. It's one of the best fitting and most comfortable IEMs I've tried. If you're interested in a 64 Audio take on essentially the same sort of sound and don't need total isolation the Duo is a solid choice imho. It doesn't quite have the personality of the Dorado 2020 but it's very enjoyable in its own right.
OK, has anyone measured the diameter of the Dorado's sound pipe?

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,105 of 1,452
OK, has anyone measured the diameter of the Dorado's sound pipe?

IMG_7651.jpg

That's Dorado on the left and Zen Pro on the right above. Zen Pro is what I would place in the neighborhood of "average" and you can see Dorado is thinner.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,107 of 1,452
Hey,

I got my Dorado 2020 today! 🤪

I'm having a hard time finding good tips for them though: Spinfit CP360 and CP100 don't fit well. I can't find my Acoustune AET07, ugh. (I'm in the middle of reorganizing everything)

I've settled for the included Final E for now but I'm sure I can find better.

Any recommendations please?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,108 of 1,452
Hey,

I'm having a hard time finding good tips for them though: Spinfit CP360 and CP100 don't fit well. I've settled for the included Final E for now but I'm sure I can find better.

Sednafit Crystals are my personal faves.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,109 of 1,452
Hey,

I'm having a hard time finding good tips for them though: Spinfit CP360 and CP100 don't fit well. I can't find my Acoustune AET07, ugh. (I'm in the middle of reorganizing everything)

I've settled for the included Final E for now but I'm sure I can find better.

I found foams work best for me, namely the Symbio foams and the flare audio foam tips.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,110 of 1,452
Sednafit Crystals are my personal faves.
You mean these ones?
How do they fit? I usually use the M size for my tips. I have the SpinFit CP360 for my Andro Gold and they are great! (even though they are made for TWS)

I found foams work best for me, namely the Symbio foams and the flare audio foam tips.
Ah, not a fan of foams unfortunately. I tried several times, I found them very uncomfortable.

The included Final E tips are definitely not great because my Andro Gold (with the SpinFit CP360) have much better and deeper bass. I hope I didn't get the Dorado for nothing...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back