Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Aug 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #5,209 of 5,394
This arrived today.

IMG_0964.JPG

Initial impressions are good. Sound is better than expected considering some of the conflicting reviews I've read. Bass is sufficient (I like presence but am not a so-called "basshead") and the soundstage has depth. Only have tried with DX200 & AMP8 with ALO Litz 4.4mm cable. For a 'mid-priced' (substantially less since I bought thru massdrop) IEM Campfire has implemented premium quality throughout. I wanted to try a CA IEM "on the cheap" before indulging in Vega or Andromeda.

IMG_0966.JPG

Nicely done indeed, Campfire!

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #5,210 of 5,394
Tried the Atlas at CanJam and was impressed, but I'll stick with the Vega as they still put a stupid grin on my face, especially now with the Amp 8 in my DX200. Atlas is better in every way, but not enough for me to sell the Vega as it is still an awesome iem. Plus, I actually prefer the liquid alloy housing to the stainless steel housing of the Atlas. The Campfire product that put the biggest grin on my face was the Cascade, it really does sound like a cross between the Vega and the Andromeda !! I spoke to Ken Ball about the Cascade, said I'm gonna buy the Cascade in a month or so and he said wait, as there is a newer version coming out with drivers made from the same material as the Vega/Atlas and will be about $1200.00 should be ready in about six months. :L3000:

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #5,211 of 5,394
This arrived today.

Initial impressions are good. Sound is better than expected considering some of the conflicting reviews I've read. Bass is sufficient (I like presence but am not a so-called "basshead") and the soundstage has depth. Only have tried with DX200 & AMP8 with ALO Litz 4.4mm cable. For a 'mid-priced' (substantially less since I bought thru massdrop) IEM Campfire has implemented premium quality throughout. I wanted to try a CA IEM "on the cheap" before indulging in Vega or Andromeda.

Nicely done indeed, Campfire!
The Vega and Amp 8 were made for each other. every time I listen to the Vega with Amp 8 is a very uplifting experience. If there is sibilance in the recording, the Vega will show it, but I've found this is with poorly recorded tracks but the well recorded/mastered tracks these things rock. Amp 8 has even made my Andromeda ever so slightly Vega'ish if thats even possible lol
DX208 loves Campfire :smile_phones:

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #5,212 of 5,394
IMG_0968.JPG

Lyra II is sublime. Easily in my top 3 IEMs now and we're not even done Day One. Next step is tip experimentation.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #5,213 of 5,394

Lyra II is sublime. Easily in my top 3 IEMs now and we're not even done Day One. Next step is tip experimentation.

They are sweet.My first venture into CA.. Love mine and use the daily with an AK300.
Enjoy!!

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #5,215 of 5,394
Hey guys - first time poster here on Head-Fi after months of lurking. I saw the Lyra IIs on Massdrop for $400, and have seen the name thrown around here quite a bit. This is my first entry into high-end IEMs, also recently ordered a Hidizs AP80.

Wanted to know what can I expect with this type of pairing? I know the AP80 is not released yet however, if anyone has the AP60 or AP200, or even the new Shanling M0 can comment how the Lyra IIs pair up with these?
Also any recommendation for foam tips for these?

Thanks, cannot wait to enter this level of listening. :)

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #5,216 of 5,394
Hey guys - first time poster here on Head-Fi after months of lurking. I saw the Lyra IIs on Massdrop for $400, and have seen the name thrown around here quite a bit. This is my first entry into high-end IEMs, also recently ordered a Hidizs AP80.

Wanted to know what can I expect with this type of pairing? I know the AP80 is not released yet however, if anyone has the AP60 or AP200, or even the new Shanling M0 can comment how the Lyra IIs pair up with these?

Thanks, cannot wait to enter this level of listening. :)

The M0 plays nicely with all the CA iems I've tried on it, so you should be on safe ground there.

In respect of foams, if you like foamies then the included CA Marshmallow tips that come with the Lyra II should be all you need - they get the seal of Comply without dulling the highs for me. Actually ordered some spare sets when I got the Comet to use with my other IEMs.

Hope you enjoy the Lyra - it's a great sounding piece.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #5,217 of 5,394
The M0 plays nicely with all the CA iems I've tried on it, so you should be on safe ground there.

In respect of foams, if you like foamies then the included CA Marshmallow tips that come with the Lyra II should be all you need - they get the seal of Comply without dulling the highs for me. Actually ordered some spare sets when I got the Comet to use with my other IEMs.

Hope you enjoy the Lyra - it's a great sounding piece.
Yeah I think the included foams should tide me over, my pocket book is always getting the best of me (any excuse to spend am I right?). I have been reading on these buds all night and am so excited I can't contain myself. Plus the L2s are designed so sexy, some posters here have included their personal photos of them.. in love!

Thank you for the insight re: tips.

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #5,218 of 5,394
Also, who here has heard of Selah Sue? This girl is amazing. Every song has something special about it.
I hadn't until you posted this. So of course with any "new" artist I have not heard of I immediately went and sampled tracks. I liked what I heard so I bought her Reason (Deluxe Ed.) album in FLAC from 7Digital. HDTracks has 24-bit but won't sell in my neck of the woods. Oh well. So thanks for bringing this to our attention. Selah certainly is easy on the ears. And eyes :wink:

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #5,219 of 5,394
...Lyra IIs...
.... :)

In respect of foams, if you like foamies then the included CA Marshmallow tips that come with the Lyra II should be all you need - they get the seal of Comply without dulling the highs for me. ...

I concur with the included marshmallows. I'm usually not a fan of foams but the CA versions fit well and provide the audio substance the Lyra need. Really great combo overall.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #5,220 of 5,394
I've had the Vega for about two months in use with the Sony ZX300. I was mad at myself for this purchase because it was completely unnecessary. I already bought the Lyra II earlier this year which I enjoyed. The Andromeda and Dorado were also on my radar but ultimately I chose the Vega because I prefer DD and similar fit to the Lyra II.

The sound of the Vega has fullness to it that I haven't experienced with any other headphone or iem. I was worried about too much bass/V-shaped sound. Vega has handled all genres quite well while keeps vocals clear and present.

The ZX300 is the first time I went balanced with a DAP and I think it matches really well with the Vega. The treble is smooth yet has the right shimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back