Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #5,236 of 5,394
Vega must be used with Comply tips. This is a must, no questions asked.
Do not buy them unless you are willing to get t400 comply tips with them.
The comply tips, smooth out the trebble and extend bass, and turn the vega from a mediocre iem into an absolute barn burner.
These are tip sensitive like no other earphone I have ever come across. And these destroy the Shure se846, its not even fair to really compare them.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #5,237 of 5,394
Vega must be used with Comply tips. This is a must, no questions asked.
Do not buy them unless you are willing to get t400 comply tips with them.
The comply tips, smooth out the trebble and extend bass, and turn the vega from a mediocre iem into an absolute barn burner.
These are tip sensitive like no other earphone I have ever come across. And these destroy the Shure se846, its not even fair to really compare them.

What ended up working for me was taking the medium silicone tips that came with the Vega and a pair of Shure medium Olives I had laying around, decore the Shure Olives and wrap around them the Vega silicon tips. I've spent a veritable fortune on comply tips, they are good but their average lifespan it's just not acceptable, regardless of their virtues.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #5,238 of 5,394
What ended up working for me was taking the medium silicone tips that came with the Vega and a pair of Shure medium Olives I had laying around, decore the Shure Olives and wrap around them the Vega silicon tips. I've spent a veritable fortune on comply tips, they are good but their average lifespan it's just not acceptable, regardless of their virtues.
Interesting. Will have to look into that one.

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #5,239 of 5,394
Also what kind of turnover are you seeing on these tips? How long are they lasting for you, average. The comply I mean.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #5,240 of 5,394
Also what kind of turnover are you seeing on these tips? How long are they lasting for you, average. The comply I mean.

The comply tips would loose its...suppleness after 3 weeks. After that they were stiffer and would become harder to mold and spring back to its original shape faster, that made them harder to insert; mind you, I used the professional tips, the ones that inserted deeper, I never liked "regular" ones. Also, the wax would just completely disintegrate it after a month and a half, and that was even with regular cleaning since it would just start to crumble and the dust that the comply tips turn into would crawl into my ear canal and become a huge black clog of wax. Last year I had my ears cleaned and they took out like a 1.5 cm long and 4 mm thick clog of wax out of both of my ears, mostly made of comply dust. I found the Westone True-Fit red tips to be superior on my Shure IEM over the comply ones, they created a better seal, didn't dull the highs as much, are coated with a layer of...something that makes them more resistant to wax and were overall sturdier, bit firmer that comply but they would losen up with use. I could use Westone tips for 4 to 6 months at a time with proper care, I would replace them after they didn't isolate as well.

But being as good as they were, I eventually also got bored of replacing Westone tips, so I started hybridizing my own tips. I took Westone red Star Tips and wrapped them around a trimmed down and de-cored Westone True-Fit red tip. I got the seal of silicone with deep insertion and nice highs, with the isolation and bass of foam tips, a winner combination for me, and they would also last forever, I did that once and went on for 8 months with a single pair of tips. I only dropped them after I got the Vega.

Since I'm still testing out ear tips on the Vega, I'm rolling between the Vega medium silicone/ De-cored Shure medium olives and Vega small silicone/De-cored Campfire Marshmallow small tips. What's curious about the Marshmallow tips, it's that the core it's not glued on as well as on Shure, Westone or Comply tips, so the core came off quite easily without any foam stuck on them, so the process is kind of reversible on the Marshmallow tips.

And that's that, I hope I was of any help. I'm still testing things with the fit of the Vega. But I'm sure that I'm going to nail down the fit of this thing.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #5,241 of 5,394
Hi,

For Sony WM1A/WM1Z users : which 4,4 Balanced earphone cable do you use ?
I've noticed that full copper cable are not the best choice.
In fact, stock cable and Linum Bax sound great but they aren't Balanced wiring.
And on the WM1A for example, the difference is huge between the two outputs.

Second question : how does it sound with the Chord Mojo ?
I fear it could sound a little too warm or bloomy.

Thanks !

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #5,242 of 5,394
I'm using the SXC 8 balanced with the Vega on the WM1A.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #5,243 of 5,394
Thank you.
Does it mean that you'd rather use the 1A with the Vega ?

I didn't remember that Alo Audio provide cable too, surely they tuned it for the CA IEM !

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #5,244 of 5,394
I use the Vega/SXC 8 balanced on the 1A and the Atlas/Silver Balanced or Andromeda/SXC 8 balanced on the 1Z

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #5,246 of 5,394
I had the same issues as you, I noticed the Vega have a significant longer nozzle than my other IEM, so the tip on its own ends up deeper inside your ear. You'll have to use a smaller eartip than what you usually had on other IEM. What I ended up doing was using the smallest silicone tips and lace the inside with a butchered Westone True fit eartip:

At then end the sound was spot on, clarity, details and BASS.

Update 11/09/2018:

Having used shure IEM for years now, I was so used to their form and fit, I would just put them in and get the seal and position just right. After having the Vega for 5 days now, I've noticed the fit is REALLY finicky. It's to be expected it's a completely new design for me, they are not uncomfortable at all but I've had to do extensive tip rolling and lots of wiggling to make them fit just right. I think I've nailed down the insertion now.

I'm beginning to miss how flush my Shure IEM fit on my ear. The Vega fit snugly with a good seal and isolation, but they protrude from my ear more than what I was used to before. I will continue experimenting, new toy, new games.

I had the same feeling, that the Shure fit almost flush whereas the Campfire Vegas were slightly larger. But compared to certain other IEMs I find them relatively comfortable and not visible in an awkward way. The Sony EX1000 and MDR7550 are great, as is the Fourte, but they don't come close to sitting fully in my ears which the Vegas basically did. Whatever you do, don't buy the Atlas without trying first -- it can be a beast.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #5,247 of 5,394
The comply tips would loose its...suppleness after 3 weeks. After that they were stiffer and would become harder to mold and spring back to its original shape faster, that made them harder to insert; mind you, I used the professional tips, the ones that inserted deeper, I never liked "regular" ones. Also, the wax would just completely disintegrate it after a month and a half, and that was even with regular cleaning since it would just start to crumble and the dust that the comply tips turn into would crawl into my ear canal and become a huge black clog of wax. Last year I had my ears cleaned and they took out like a 1.5 cm long and 4 mm thick clog of wax out of both of my ears, mostly made of comply dust. I found the Westone True-Fit red tips to be superior on my Shure IEM over the comply ones, they created a better seal, didn't dull the highs as much, are coated with a layer of...something that makes them more resistant to wax and were overall sturdier, bit firmer that comply but they would losen up with use. I could use Westone tips for 4 to 6 months at a time with proper care, I would replace them after they didn't isolate as well.

But being as good as they were, I eventually also got bored of replacing Westone tips, so I started hybridizing my own tips. I took Westone red Star Tips and wrapped them around a trimmed down and de-cored Westone True-Fit red tip. I got the seal of silicone with deep insertion and nice highs, with the isolation and bass of foam tips, a winner combination for me, and they would also last forever, I did that once and went on for 8 months with a single pair of tips. I only dropped them after I got the Vega.

Since I'm still testing out ear tips on the Vega, I'm rolling between the Vega medium silicone/ De-cored Shure medium olives and Vega small silicone/De-cored Campfire Marshmallow small tips. What's curious about the Marshmallow tips, it's that the core it's not glued on as well as on Shure, Westone or Comply tips, so the core came off quite easily without any foam stuck on them, so the process is kind of reversible on the Marshmallow tips.

And that's that, I hope I was of any help. I'm still testing things with the fit of the Vega. But I'm sure that I'm going to nail down the fit of this thing.

Get rid of the memory wire, on the cable ,and your fit issues will likely decrease.

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #5,248 of 5,394
Get rid of the memory wire, on the cable ,and your fit issues will likely decrease.

Were you able to remove the memory wire on your cable? I brought my cable to two different stores and they said it’s impossible without damaging the cable. They said the Campfire memory wire goes deep into the connector and the only way to remove it would be retermination.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #5,249 of 5,394
Were you able remove the memory wire on your cable? I brought my cable to two different stores and they said it’s impossible without damaging the cable. They said the Campfire memory wire goes deep into the connector and the only way to remove it would be retermination.
Oh, they're just being difficult. It takes a few tools, some good eye glasses, and some patience.

I used embroidery scissors (very pointy tip) to cut the heatshrink along the spiral groove created by the twist in the wires. So, you're not cutting a straight line along the length of the cable, but are cutting a spiral line around the twist of the cable. When you get to the wire, you can actually kinda pull it like a zipper to tear more of the heat shrink. Once you've carefully worked your way up to the connector, you can use some flush wire cutters (flat on one side) to snip the memory wire, as close to the join as possible.

It's many, many pages, back (like Sept 2017) where someone provided some photos of his work. I think I gave photos of mine, too. It definitely can be done. I've removed the memory wire from like 6 ALO Litz cables already.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #5,250 of 5,394
Those stores are BS'ing you.

I've removed the memory wire from the Litz, Copper Litz, Ref 8 and SXC 8. I posted the instructions here a couple of months ago and ExpatinJapan also posted my instructions on his site. Since then I've found a simpler method for removing it.

All you need to do is expose the memory wire. I scratched at the sheath over the wire with my nail and was able to expose it. You might have to use a knife. Then grab the memory wire with needle nose pliers. Pull it up so you can get a good grip on it. Then pull it out first from the end opposite the MMCX connector, then from the MMCX end. Doing this method, the memory wire comes out in one piece. You should then be able to pull the memory wire sheath off at the end opposite the MMCX and then at the MMCX end. You might want to trim the ragged end with scissors or a knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back