Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 11, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,846 of 5,394
Dec 11, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,849 of 5,394
  Looks like I bought a Mojo, too. Vega and Mojo impressions to come Wednesday.

Hey look like we're on the same boat. I just bought the Mojo and the Vega as well, and the Mojo will come on Wednesday. Not sure when the Vega would come tho' since I just purchase it few days ago. Anyone know how long it would take for Campfire to ship the item? Hurry up Ken! I'm serious. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,850 of 5,394
Has anyone compared the Vega with another top-tier dynamic driver iem, the Rhapsodio Galaxy?
They are like night and day. Haven't compared side by side, but the Galaxy is a balanced sounding iem, with no strong emphasis on one part of the spectrum, whereas the Vega has a bass impact that is much more present, and thicker mids as well, and even more "weighty" highs. Galaxy is Vega after a huge diet IMO.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,852 of 5,394
Between Occ copper, multi core silver and copper hybrids, SPC, multi core Litz silver, and pure silver, my preference for the Vega will be pure silver. I sometimes will use certain cable to balance out the sq of a phone like the HD 800 I will use a warm copper cable to tune down the brightness of the 800. For the Vega, since it has sufficient warm in the bass dept. I just want to keep it as transparent as I can. I will tone the sq to my liking with different dap and leaving the role of the cable to transmit all signal as clean as it can.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #1,853 of 5,394
Got to try Vega for a bit of an extended audition period courtesy of a very generous headfi buddy. In fact, I'm listening to them right now with his Whiplash Audio cable with 2.5mm balanced out of my Opus #1 in high gain mode. I think it's a very nice pairing. Listening out of my LPG, I feel the bass was too prominent, and the upper end was a bit too prone to sibilance. Listening out of Opus #1, I feel like the bass is more under control and I'm not getting any sibilance to speak of. Or maybe it's due to the cable. I can't be sure since LPG doesn't have 2.5mm balanced out.

In any case, I'm not sure what I can add that others haven't. Bass is forward, mids are warm, treble is prominent enough to not get lost in the mix. Soundstage isn't overblown but instead natural. In fact, natural is a good description for how Vega sounds to me now that I've acclimated and found what I think is a good pairing in the Opus #1. And that's a bit surprising to me because when they first arrived, I wasn't sold on them at all. I felt like the bass was far too prominent and wasn't punchy but pounding, mids were too warm, sibilance reared it's head more than I liked. But wow, what a transformation I've had with these.

I'd also like to comment on the new shell design. I own Orion and Nova and never had issues with their ergonomics, but I know some did due to their size and the "sharp" edges. I can't imagine anyone have any such issues with their new IEM design. While I don't think it's quite as unique or striking as the older, more industrial design, it sure is more practical. 

Good job Campfire. You're my hometown IEM heroes!

And a big shoutout to the headfi buddy who let me try these out!!!

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #1,854 of 5,394
Got to try Vega for a bit of an extended audition period courtesy of a very generous headfi buddy. In fact, I'm listening to them right now with his Whiplash Audio cable with 2.5mm balanced out of my Opus #1 in high gain mode. I think it's a very nice pairing. Listening out of my LPG, I feel the bass was too prominent, and the upper end was a bit too prone to sibilance. Listening out of Opus #1, I feel like the bass is more under control and I'm not getting any sibilance to speak of. Or maybe it's due to the cable. I can't be sure since LPG doesn't have 2.5mm balanced out.

In any case, I'm not sure what I can add that others haven't. Bass is forward, mids are warm, treble is prominent enough to not get lost in the mix. Soundstage isn't overblown but instead natural. In fact, natural is a good description for how Vega sounds to me now that I've acclimated and found what I think is a good pairing in the Opus #1. And that's a bit surprising to me because when they first arrived, I wasn't sold on them at all. I felt like the bass was far too prominent and wasn't punchy but pounding, mids were too warm, sibilance reared it's head more than I liked. But wow, what a transformation I've had with these.

I'd also like to comment on the new shell design. I own Orion and Nova and never had issues with their ergonomics, but I know some did due to their size and the "sharp" edges. I can't imagine anyone have any such issues with their new IEM design. While I don't think it's quite as unique or striking as the older, more industrial design, it sure is more practical. 

tips used?

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,855 of 5,394

That's a very neutral review/impression on the Vega I would say. Bass is forward... Most people included me would "wow" of the bass and for the first time I heard it, it captured me and decided to make it my very first IEM for over $100, ever. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,856 of 5,394
tips used?

I used foamies from my other campfire IEM for most of the listening. I'm pretty sure Ken tunes them to be used with the foamies, and I've ended up using them with all the CFA IEM I've used so far. 

That's a very neutral review/impression on the Vega I would say. Bass is forward... Most people included me would "wow" of the bass and for the first time I heard it, it captured me and decided to make it my very first IEM for over $100, ever. 

I've been following this thread. Some loved the bass. Some disliked it. I underwent a transitionary period of not grooving on it to digging it. Glad you loved it at first listen. Not exactly sure what you're getting at with that post, though...

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,857 of 5,394

you never owned over $100 IEM before Vega? that's a huge leap, i'm still stuck around $500 range and hesitating to jump over $1k line...

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,858 of 5,394

That's close to how I hear it going from LPG to Opus#1/#2 with Vega.  Vega LOVES the power, and that's where the bass comes out to play (w/LPG), and of course there is a difference in how LPG and Opus presents the bass.  Curious which Whiplash cable are you using, TWag or TWau or Hybrid (TWag/TWcu)?  With Vega, all the factors (eartips, cables, source pair up) play a significant role in the sound sig.  Unlike some other IEMs where changing these variables yields a subtle difference, here you are dealing with a very unique wide bandwidth dynamic driver where the difference is more noticeable.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,860 of 5,394
how's the isolation on the lyra IIs ?   Would it be good enough for commuting on public transit?

With foam tips, the isolation is definitely good enough for daily commuting. Used the Lyra II on my daily commute (which includes a metro bus or occasionally a train) without any issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back