Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Nov 7, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #961 of 5,394
That is a rather strong statement... 

ba were developed for medical purposes for hearing aid hence their properties in resolution and fast transient response

however for pure listening purposes where timbre naturalness is required dd will always win

p.s. since there are only two main manufacturers - sonion and knowles - the creation of ba earphone is basically like playing lego i even go further and say that one doesn't need special expertise to produce good sounding earphone. however, creating a custom dd is a whole different story and only few manufacturers are able to do this

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #964 of 5,394
i guess there is no such person that heard every earphone so everybody's sense is nonsese

Hardly, but nice attempt at deflection.

I haven't heard the Oriolus so I'm not going to comment on it. I own the Vega and so I feel equipped to comment on it in detail.

If I went into the Oriolus thread and said "We'll I haven't heard these but I have heard the Vega and love it so the Oriolus must be awful and you must all be trying to justify the price you paid for it", I would rightfully get called out for flapping my gums about things I have no clue about.

So I am calling you out. You haven't heard the Vega, so you can't call it hype or not hype. You just don't know.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #965 of 5,394
There's an element of truth to critiques of balanced armature, although, of course, technology on all sides is progressing.

I'll hear the Vegas soon, but thank you all for sharing your impressions.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #966 of 5,394
That excel file idea sounds like an excellent project. For the researcher in me and for my selfish desire, If you can further expand and refine by defining a comprehensive list of "sound aspects" and create appropriate scales for each sound aspect, then our community or owners of each individual equipment can rate each sound attribute from a more objective angle. This way we can create some consensus on a product. Interested in looking at what your excel file is like and how you rate the Andro.

I think it is important here to distinguish between the auditor and the experimenter-which in your case are two different people.  When you are reviewing gear, you are kind of both rolled into one....

This creates a different problem, since dissecting the sound into bass, mids, treble, etc. essentially ruins the holistic emotional  experience for the listener. And, the easier it is to dissect the performance, the less organic, whole, and coherent the sound....

Again, just my 2 cents worth

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #967 of 5,394
Good points fzman.

I am about the enter into the last stages of my reviews for the Vega, Dorado and Lyra II (of which I have all three in my possession- not from memory).

Even though I have been listening to them everyday the 'dissection' process has been quite difficult because as a set they are quite coherent pieces.
Although they are different they have many similarities.
Faults are hard to find, and striking differences between some of the main points of interest bass/mids/treble are incremental.

They are different earphones with a different signature to each of course.

It was easier when i first reviewed the Jupiter by itself, and later a Andromeda and Nova combo.

Dissecting devices that are essential well made and 'holistic' is my challenge here and I hope to do it well enough to service people and their wallets in the right direction.

Most reviews write themselves, these reviews I will have to write myself.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #968 of 5,394
If someone who loves a lot of low end bass, which Campfire IEM would i be looking for?
Lyra, Vega, hopefully the Dorado will be as bass heavy as the Vega or more!

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #971 of 5,394
Nov 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #973 of 5,394
lovely album. which go my you closer to the atmosphere of the recording?

which is better at "what"?

Andromeda excels at imaging, layering, holographic presentation, soundstage. It's very clean and clear. It's like a window into the music. It could be described as polite and slightly restrained. To me the defining element of the FR is the soaring, sparkling highs, like none I've heard in a headphone/IEM.

Vega is not polite. It's raucous and rowdy and gritty. It may be a hair slower than the Andromeda, but still very fast for a DD. It puts you right in the middle of the music and has exceptional coherency due to its single driver nature. If Andromeda feels like a window into the music, Vega feels like you're thrust into the middle of the performance. This is a function of the smaller soundstage and the thicker, fuller bass that provides a bedrock foundation for the rest of the FR.

Vega may actually have slightly better resolution but it's hard to tell because the presentation is such that smaller details are tougher to discern without concentration. The Andromeda presents everything so clearly that it feels more resolving but I feel I can hear some subtle nuances with the Vega that I don't with the Andromeda comparing the same recordings. This may be placebo however; they are very close.

Tonally they aren't really so different. Vega has more texture and IMO the timbre feels more true to life, sounds more like how instruments sound to me in real life. This does not mean the Andromeda feels artificial, I just feel that the dynamic driver is able to better approximate that texture and timbre of real instruments.

They are both remarkable IEMs. Both TOTL in my opinion, and both are great values compared to some of the TOTL IEMs bandied about here as the best thing ever. And I'm so glad that the presentations between the two are so wholly different. This isn't a case of Ken just throwing in another two drivers and calling it a day. Different tech, different sound, different experience. They are wonderfully complementary, but I think most people would be very happy with one or the other. If you love to sit back and hear every last detail reproduced exquisitely, the Andromeda's got you. If you want something more visceral, perhaps more like seeing a live show of your favorite band, the Vega should be your go to.

Oh and I should reiterate that the Andromedas are both sensitive and the FR can be affected by the OI of your amp. I do not like how they sound with the Jotunheim with its near zero OI, but out of the ZX2 or GOV2+ they sound a lot better. The iFi iematch makes a good companion to the Andromeda. The upside of this though is that they can sound great driven just by a phone. The Vegas are not OI dependent and less sensitive, so you won't hear too much hiss and the FR won't change with your amp, but the downside is they do need an amp to sound their best and your phone isn't going to drive these to their full potential.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #974 of 5,394
Hmm... Its like most are talking about Andro and Vega.

But  I would like to hear more reviews about Dorado, since it have both DD and BA.

And frequency response is near to Andro's

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #975 of 5,394
One other tip for Vega owners, I've found they sound the best when I do the following:

Using Comply or Campfire foam tips, I pull the top of my ear up and very slowly insert the IEM, just deep enough that I start to feel it seal, then I release the top of my ear which closes the seal. The body of the Vega sticks out away from my inner ear, as opposed to pressed up against the skin as I do with most IEMs. It's very comfortable and sounds excellent. IMO this gives the airiest sound without sacrificing detail, and the bass is the most balanced and in control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back