Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Nov 8, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #991 of 5,394
ba were developed for medical purposes for hearing aid hence their properties in resolution and fast transient response

however for pure listening purposes where timbre naturalness is required dd will always win

p.s. since there are only two main manufacturers - sonion and knowles - the creation of ba earphone is basically like playing lego i even go further and say that one doesn't need special expertise to produce good sounding earphone. however, creating a custom dd is a whole different story and only few manufacturers are able to do this

You have been able to buy Focal drivers for a good long period of time but seldom do you have many producing speakers that sound like the Utopia. The magic is in the tuning, choices, crossovers and enclosure. We have many of people building their own IEM. Go to the DIY forum and note the difficulty they are having to produce comparable products. 

Also, just because BA drivers began as part of the medical devices community (which should have been a clue as to the level of engineering in them and a testament to why the SQ that the likes of Etymotic achieved was an option), it shouldn't matter today because they have been in the HiFi game for 20+ years.

Up until recently, there hasn't been a DD IEM that really could compete with the multidriver BA. We will see how long term Vega pan out but up until recently, you had nothing to support the statement of DD superiority...and superiority is still questionable. DD have some characteristics that many might prefer in certain ranges, but it might come down to perfectly tuned hybrids being the best of all.  I'm also still curious to to see how the RHA CL1 Ceramic turn out. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #993 of 5,394
I've been more of a two channel guy that recently got into headphones so I wonder if I should worry when I read things like the bass almost knocking guys off of their chair while listening to the Vega. I love bass but when it hits hard so close to your ears is that still a good thing? If it's not a valid concern then I'm just about sold on them.

I think that is a minor exaggeration to get the point across. I have much harder hitting iems and I don't move at all when the bass hits hard... Unfortunately. :wink:

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #994 of 5,394
But less than that of the Vega?
I'm on a strict Dorado only diet atm as I get near the end of the review journey.

Lastly I will do some A/Bing with the other models once the Dorado signature is firmly entrenched in my brain.

Work, family, sleep etc all slow down the review process. A free day would be perfect

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,003 of 5,394
  How do these(Vega) compare to the JH Audio Angies?

I've had the Angies for over a year and a half and they were my daily IEM for the whole time and I've really got to know the Vega better in the few weeks I've had them.   Listening to them over the AK320 balanced out.  

A lot of people seem to like the Angies with the attenuator at 12 o'clock but this does make the bass drums sound like basketball hitting the floor (in a bad way) on some tracks.   Opened up all the way, the amount of bass comes close to the Vega but the Vega hits harder as far as dynamics and is better defined.   Bass runs are more prominent and easier to follow.   My initial impression was that the Vega had a bit too much bass (I have my Angies at 2-3 o'clock most of the time), but I seem to have gotten mostly used to it.   On another note, I was at a concert last night and was standing behind the audio engineers dead centre and level with the stage/speakers and the bass impact was in the ballpark of what the Vega is putting out.  Of course, the Vega sounded cleaner than the house PA system.    

The Vega also sounds more realistic in the mid range and treble.   So if the amount of bass is to your liking, I feel the Vega has the advantage.  It excels at making you feel you are at the live venue.

On the presentation side, the Angies sound more cystalline.  Vocals are tilted a bit colder and sound a bit more fragile and ethereal.  The Angie's also give the impression of more air, making it sound less congested than the Vega, and giving the impression of a wider soundstage.   Instruments panned to the far left and right tend to sound further away.  That being said, to some people the Angie's may sound "correct" and the Vega may sound too thick and congested and my own preferences may change as I have been using the Vega more lately so my brain may just think that their sound signature is correct. 

It's kind of like the difference of being in a small venue concert hall vs. an open field concert as far as how that affects the acoustics of a performance.  

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #1,004 of 5,394
e7cd14481643a9456b48d341fefe9b6f.jpg

c0793f88f2ee629434ca3537a9561baf.jpg

085654a94581b919495d295aaf0c1e72.jpg

99fe2f7e925aad341f7522397b84b604.jpg

Some Campfire Audio Dorado pron

I found some Foam tips in my stash that fit well (maybe Comply with in built protective screens) and Ortofon silicone tips.

These are my favorites for fit.

Each produces a different style within the parameters of the intended Dorado sound signature.

The foamies do their usual thing, the Ortofon give more of a sense of inner space and lightness due to the flattened V the silicone brings.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #1,005 of 5,394
e7cd14481643a9456b48d341fefe9b6f.jpg

c0793f88f2ee629434ca3537a9561baf.jpg

085654a94581b919495d295aaf0c1e72.jpg

99fe2f7e925aad341f7522397b84b604.jpg

Some Campfire Audio Dorado pron

I found some Foam tips in my stash that fit well (maybe Comply with in built protective screens) and Ortofon silicone tips.

These are my favorites for fit.

Each produces a different style within the parameters of the intended Dorado sound signature.

The foamies do their usual thing, the Ortofon give more of a sense of inner space and lightness due to the flattened V the silicone brings.

Do you know where can i get Ortofon tips online?

Or any wide bore silicon tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back