Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Feb 3, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,536 of 5,394
Best part of all this - I haven't even tried it with a proper DAP yet. So from here the only way is up!

Especially since they scale up so well, those babies like power :)

WM1A was already rockin but DX200 is taking them to another level, especially balanced, so much bliss I wonder is this the endgame? Nah this rabbit hole has been endless this past 10 years!

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2,537 of 5,394
@ davidmolliere

what kind of music do you listen to?

MP

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,538 of 5,394
@ davidmolliere

what kind of music do you listen to?

MP

I have a wide range, from metal to classical, but my main course is Indie (rock, folk, pop), Jazz, Rock, Blues and World Music . Also less frequent but I do like percussions, flamenco guitar and Opera.

I occasionally listen to EDM but that's marginal.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,539 of 5,394
I sent you a PM for further information regarding your combo
thanks for your answer if you have time.

@+

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,540 of 5,394
  I sent you a PM for further information regarding your combo
thanks for your answer if you have time.

@+

Replied :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #2,541 of 5,394
WM1A was already rockin but DX200 is taking them to another level, especially balanced, so much bliss

Oh, that's a big statement. Can you expand a little? I am eyeing both devices and would love to hear more about your comparative impressions with the Vega.

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,542 of 5,394
Oh, that's a big statement. Can you expand a little? I am eyeing both devices and would love to hear more about your comparative impressions with the Vega.

Yeah big statement but the more I burn in the DX200, the more I am convinced something very special is happening at least for me and my preferences. The DX200 / ALO Ref8 balanced cable / Vega combo is quite magical. WM1A is already something and I thought I found THE DAP but went for the DX200 only because I miss streaming capabilities too much. I expected DX200 to be a DP-X1 on steroid and probably not up to par with the WM1A (at the time I thought it was the endgame) but as it was my first DAP without streaming I realized despite its awesomeness I missed streaming too much.

I was wrong, the DX200 is just as good as the WM1A with a different flavour / signature : fuller mids, better detail clarity and transparency, airier with wider soundstage (note that depth is comparable, but for layering in my book the WM1A has the edge), more natural treble (to my ears). Also, the DX200 is the first DAP that just sounds... better than amps I owned or auditionned (granted, I haven't owned tubes or TOTL amps). Balanced, you get 2W @ 16 ohms no less thanks to 6V RMS which is quite uncommon for a DAP. That means more headroom and it shows! That power is not brute force, as I would peg DX200 as quite a refined DAP with a lot of nuance and subtlety (although not as stellar as WM1A in layering and a tad less apt at micro dynamics at least so far I am 300h into burn in).

I still got the WM1A btw, but now I am certain to sell it, well I'll also be selling the Mojo which I never thought I would (now I am eeing the ALO CV5 to get some tube goodness at home)

I didn't think things could get this good, now the Vega are getting holographic on me that soundstage and imaging...oh my

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #2,543 of 5,394
Very informative argument

cool.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,549 of 5,394
Wow. Good for you!

Definitely, jumped on the chance. Also Ken is a super humble and cool guy, they had a prototype of their over ear headphone, sounded so good I couldn't wear it for too long or else I'd have to need to buy it

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #2,550 of 5,394
Just listening to La La Land OST with Vega and WOW.
The sax, trumpet, trombone, drum, bass guitar, everything is so magical.
I am not a jazz person, but Vega is just so good with jazz.
Everyone should give that OST a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back