Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jan 28, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #2,506 of 5,394
DX200 to Litz balanced cable with Campfire Audio Vegas

I am looking to upgrade my balanced cable for the Vega and I lean towards the Ref8, but how is the Litz? Not too bright with the Vega?

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,508 of 5,394
So I've read through every single page of this thread... the reason being that it seems like the Vega would be the perfect IEM for me, but I can't afford it...so I'm going to buy it.

I haven't been able to demo it, but I'm in NY and going to canjam next week, yet despite the chance to demo it there, I'm wary that those listening conditions and the time allowed to demo them may not be perfect.

So my main concern is this: I'm a relative noob, and my current setup is the Audeze Sine and Mojo played through my S7 Edge. 85% of my listening is my hour long commute to and from work on the train to the city. While I really like the sound, the train noise is too much, then I need to raise the volume loud enough to where it bothers those around me. I'm not going into anything noise canceling cause I want the best sound, period, so it seems like IEMs are the way to go.

At the same time I've never owned IEMs, an intentional choice since when I was researching for my first pair of hi end phones I ended up at the Sines cause of the general differences between full sized headphones (I have an adapter that makes the Sine over ear) and IEMs (bypassing the pinna and so on). I also demoed Westome IEMs at a store in the city, think it was the UMPro series up to the highest model around $600, but literally dropped each one after a few seconds from how flat they sounded. Obv an extremely limited and unfair reference but it made me shy away from IEMs until now.

The reason I think these may be different is from the comparisons others have made to the Vegas beating out their full size headphones, even bring better than the Utopia for some (really?!), and better than all other IEMs/headphones for others. Normally you'd read that you can't compare over ears to IEMs, but these seem to be an exception.

Ok long post but can anyone comment on how they think the transition might be from the Sine to the Vega? I will be running with Mojo from S7 Edge. Absolutely no wiggle room in any way to get another DAP/Amp since I need to feed my wife and child.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,510 of 5,394
Feed your wife and child first, otherwise it will degrade the sound of the Vega:D

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,511 of 5,394
Feed your wife and child first, otherwise it will degrade the sound of the Vega:D

Fine.... guess I have to :wink: I'm surprised the Mojo got such mixed feedback here, usually it's almost universally positive

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #2,513 of 5,394
Mojo is a solid dac, but not nearly the miracle the fanboys on headfi thump it to be.

The Mojo is amazing...until you hear other better gear (at least IMHO). 

However, if you don't know what you're missing, then the Mojo is fine. 

Cheers 

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,515 of 5,394
The Mojo is amazing...until you hear other better gear (at least IMHO). 

However, if you don't know what you're missing, then the Mojo is fine. 

Cheers 

its a reference point.

Thanks, and fine I'll bite... but so as to keep this on topic, which portable DAC/Amp might you recommend as the best to pair with the Vega?

I would not want it to weaken any or tame of the Vega's strengths. It would need to be no more than $1k, and if it's DAP I'd need streaming ability. No additional stacking though... either a standalone DAC or DAC/Amp or a DAP with streaming (Tidal) (heard great things about the Sony NW-WMsomething but I believe that doesn't stream)

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #2,516 of 5,394
Thanks, and fine I'll bite... but so as to keep this on topic, which portable DAC/Amp might you recommend as the best to pair with the Vega?

I would not want it to weaken any or tame of the Vega's strengths. It would need to be no more than $1k, and if it's DAP I'd need streaming ability. No additional stacking though... either a standalone DAC or DAC/Amp or a DAP with streaming (Tidal) (heard great things about the Sony NW-WMsomething but I believe that doesn't stream)

Unfortunately with your criteria I don't have a lot to add. I'm currently driving my Vega's with the Sony NW-WM1Z, which is a wee-bit over $1K (okay, more bits than a wee-bit) and also doesn't stream. To add to the SQ of the Mojo I added the ALO CV5, but your "no additional stacking" requirement whacks that one. 

If you can get away without streaming, the Sony NW-WM1A (which I also have) is also very good, and better than the Mojo IMHO, but doesn't stream. And while it's MSRP is above $1K, if you're crafty and patient you can find it for significantly less. Found mine for ~$800, which was a great deal. 

Cheers and happy hunting

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,517 of 5,394
Unfortunately with your criteria I don't have a lot to add. I'm currently driving my Vega's with the Sony NW-WM1Z, which is a wee-bit over $1K (okay, more bits than a wee-bit) and also doesn't stream. To add to the SQ of the Mojo I added the ALO CV5, but your "no additional stacking" requirement whacks that one. 

If you can get away without streaming, the Sony NW-WM1A (which I also have) is also very good, and better than the Mojo IMHO, but doesn't stream. And while it's MSRP is above $1K, if you're crafty and patient you can find it for significantly less. Found mine for ~$800, which was a great deal. 

Cheers and happy hunting

Got it, thanks for the help though! I'll stick with the Mojo for now and report back once I get the Vegas

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,520 of 5,394
Hi all. I've previoisly had the SE535 and X1. Reading here and elsewhere I think the vega matches my ideal sound, so I went ahead and bought a pair. Waiting for it to arrive any day now. I've also read several times here that above a certain price point, DAPs really show diminishing returns, and I have therefore decided to pair it with an X5III (I've pre-ordered it, dunno when it will arrive) primarily due to streaming tidal. From a budget perspective, 25% spent on DAP of total seems optimal.

My question is: am I making a huge mistake on the DAP (assuming it is an upgrade of X5II) or will the combo be a sufficient upgrade to "wow" me for the next 12 months, at which point I could probably switch dap again...

Any replies greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back