Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jan 26, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,491 of 5,394
Wow, nice design. Smaller, but no less. Also wonderful new lineup theme name. I really like it, but unfortunately Campfire are more expensive here in Asia. And used ones are really hard to find.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,492 of 5,394
  I wanted to share my experience with  silicone tips vs. foam tips. I do not find the foam tips to be comfortable with the vega. It must be the width of the nozzle, as I'm able to use the foam tips with my Etymotic 4ER S without any discomfort. With the Etymotic bass is improved with both quality and quantity. With the Vega, the silicone tips produce more bass, especially in the frequency range of kick drums, where it's much easier to discern triplets. The texture of the bass with the silicone is equal to the foam, but the comfort factor for me is far superior. I'm convinced now more than ever that the anatomy of the ear plays a major role in what we hear and how we hear more than anything else.

Are you comparing the stock silicone to the stock foam tips? I don't use the stock foams anymore, but I found the Comply T400 Comfort to be a perfect match for my ears. I wasn't a huge fan of the comfort of the stock foams. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #2,493 of 5,394
So, I've done my due diligence and broke my Vegas in for 100 hours.  As a reminder, I'm running an AK300 with a Chord Mojo.  Unfortunately, the sibilance has NOT improved.  There are some recordings where it isn't a problem, but others where they are just plain unlistenable because of the physical pain it causes.  For instance, "The Miracle of Joey Ramone" by U2 streamed from TIDAL caused me to immediately pull the phones from my ears (last time I checked, U2 sort of had an idea on how to record songs properly).  
Maybe they just aren't for me, but they sound so harsh that I have no interest in keeping them.  I realized that after even a moderate to short listening session, that I felt tired and stressed out.  It was a weird experience for me, since I frequently use music to fall asleep.

So, aside from saying that I have a pair up for sale (open to reasonable offers . . . .  I know this is great marketing for my IEMs, right?), I would also like to solicit recommendations from the group.  Other than the crazy harshness, I liked what the Vegas did.  The size is great, though I do with the part that went in the ear was just a tad bit "shorter".  They just jam up against whatever bend is in the ear canal to be mildly uncomfortable when there is a little pressure placed on them.  Not too bad, just a little less than perfect.

I don't need all of the bass that the Vega had, but I didn't mind it either.  So, with what I've outlined, what are my best options?  It's a darn shame that there isn't some sort of avenue for me to try before I buy.  

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,494 of 5,394
Are you comparing the stock silicone to the stock foam tips? I don't use the stock foams anymore, but I found the Comply T400 Comfort to be a perfect match for my ears. I wasn't a huge fan of the comfort of the stock foams. 

I'm using triple flanged tips and they slide in very easy. I'm not sure where I got them, ( I've got a drawer full of tips) but the silicone is very thin and pliable. I'm comparing them to the stock foamies. I think the problem is with the hard casing to which the foam is attached, it is not pliable and I have very narrow ear canals. Do the T400's have hard casing?

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,495 of 5,394
So, I've done my due diligence and broke my Vegas in for 100 hours.  As a reminder, I'm running an AK300 with a Chord Mojo.  Unfortunately, the sibilance has NOT improved.  There are some recordings where it isn't a problem, but others where they are just plain unlistenable because of the physical pain it causes.  For instance, "The Miracle of Joey Ramone" by U2 streamed from TIDAL caused me to immediately pull the phones from my ears (last time I checked, U2 sort of had an idea on how to record songs properly).  
Maybe they just aren't for me, but they sound so harsh that I have no interest in keeping them.  I realized that after even a moderate to short listening session, that I felt tired and stressed out.  It was a weird experience for me, since I frequently use music to fall asleep.

So, aside from saying that I have a pair up for sale (open to reasonable offers . . . .  I know this is great marketing for my IEMs, right?), I would also like to solicit recommendations from the group.  Other than the crazy harshness, I liked what the Vegas did.  The size is great, though I do with the part that went in the ear was just a tad bit "shorter".  They just jam up against whatever bend is in the ear canal to be mildly uncomfortable when there is a little pressure placed on them.  Not too bad, just a little less than perfect.

I don't need all of the bass that the Vega had, but I didn't mind it either.  So, with what I've outlined, what are my best options?  It's a darn shame that there isn't some sort of avenue for me to try before I buy.  

Have you tried different tips, other than the ones that come with the vega?

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,496 of 5,394
Have you tried different tips, other than the ones that come with the vega?

No, I haven't.  I get a very good seal from the foamies that come with them.  I mentioned WAY back before Christmas that I was astounded at how much I didn't like the silicone tips, since that's what I had used and loved in my (comparatively, very inexpensive) headphones before.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,497 of 5,394
I've found the smallest foamies are most comfortable.  I might even try one medium and one small foamie to get a better fit.

Spinfit and Silicone are a bit slippery for me.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #2,499 of 5,394

I have a pair of Lz A4 I really like, great slam. Not going to be as refined as the Vega, but you will spend way way way less. Also, the ibasso it03 is excellent for the price.

I am also hearing people comment that Dorado is less harsh than Vega up top, but I haven't heard them personally.

I would just spend less money on some excellent Asian iems until you figure out exactly what works for you.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #2,501 of 5,394
mscott58 Thanks for pointing out the 4.4m plug from the alo website. Just emailed them about making me a new Ref 8 cable with that plug. Dying to hear my Vegas balanced through my Sony.

It's a great combo!!! Cheers

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #2,502 of 5,394

If you like the sort of weight and body the Vega has but without the treble, you should definitely look at the Lyra II - it has extended but a lot less emphasised higher end so you get the thickness, detail and smoothness reminiscent of the Vega but without the "bite". The Astell&Kern/Beyer AKT8IE is a very smooth but detailed single DD as well, with a great fit. Have reviewed both recently in the Head Gear section with comparisons to the Vega, if that helps?

Commendations for the IT03 and LZ-A4 are also spot on, but if you dislike the Vega treble then the IT03 might be a bit too sharp for your preferences?

Let us know how you get on - site someone will snap up the Vega from you in no time if you put it up for sale whatever happens...

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2,503 of 5,394
The best place to start is by trying out all the tips that come with the Vega along with the various sizes.  I can't stress that enough as each type/size tailors the overall sound as the bore size is different for each type/size.  Don't assume that just because you like one type of tip with one IEM that you won't like it with another because you might surprise yourself.  In addition, your ear canals might require different sizes to feel comfortable and secure the IEM in place as other posters have mentioned.  I would say comfort should be your top priority and then sound as a close second.

Foam tips are the ones that CA recommend, but overall I didn't find it comfortable enough to live with due to the smallest size being much larger than the smallest silicone and Spin Fit counterparts.  The silicone tips are comfortable and I was using them for months as I expected to like them the most as I did on the Jupiter and Andromeda; however, I got curious about a month ago and took the Spin Fits for a test drive.  I was immediately impressed by both the comfort and sound.  I didn't expect the change to be dramatic, but after an initial A/B comparison and long term listening I am constantly impressed by how the Spin Fits tailor this IEM to perfection for me.

I sincerely hope you give the Vega an opportunity to impress you because it has ruined me for other headphones at the moment, regardless of form factor.  I didn't even know I liked bass this much until the Vega came along.  It's the bass that other bass wishes it could be.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2,504 of 5,394
Dropping in to mention the DX200 / Vega goodness, I have crossed the 100h mark on the DX200 and the Vega just shine with that DAP. The Vega bass are driven so well, especially balanced (that DAP delivers 2W @ 16ohm, feels like an amp!). The mids are fuller than ever and the highs are so detailed but never harsh. Soundstage wise it's the best source by far of any I paired the Vega : Mojo, DP-X1, WM1A.

DX200 is airy and detailed with a very smooth signature (hints of sibilance I had with DP-X1 and quite rare with WM1A is now purely non existant a good test for me is Paul Simon's Graceland album). I recommend you try it!

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #2,505 of 5,394
c7e702727224dd41800b0ecff57665f5.jpg

DX200 to Litz balanced cable with Campfire Audio Vegas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back