Campfire Audio Trifecta
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #691 of 876
Just Arrived...
IMG_1301 2.jpgIMG_1309.jpgIMG_1325.jpg

Best Regards

Sisco

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #692 of 876
Hey all! Many of you may know me from trade shows and/or the CA help desk.

We’ll be hanging out in some of the ongoing CA threads and starting some official threads as well. Trifecta (as expected) is a fairly divisive earphone and it's great to see such in-depth discussion about it. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to tag me!

Hey, thanks for posting.

What do I do if the Campfire logo sticker fell off the right earpiece of my Trifecta? Can I get a new sticker? Just a little annoying for such a high end product.

I purchased new from an official UK retailer a couple of months ago. Cheers

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #693 of 876
Hey, thanks for posting.

What do I do if the Campfire logo sticker fell off the right earpiece of my Trifecta? Can I get a new sticker? Just a little annoying for such a high end product.

Pictures? Is it just a metal sticker, as opposed to an embossing? It sounds like where the metal meets the plastic delaminated. I'm not defending it, but if where the logo goes was embossed then covered with a metal sticker (as opposed to engraved then filled), I imagine excessive humidity could cause the surfaces to separate. I'd call CFA to see about getting it fixed/replaced, although if it's only a couple months out, the retailer might honor an exchange if you want to avoid the international shipping costs.

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #694 of 876
Hey, thanks for posting.

Was it HiFi Headphones? their site is no longer showing Campfire Audio.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #695 of 876
Waiting today for a new Trifecta Astral Plane..maybe,the most controversial TOTL iem….
I have RN6 ,Ier Z1r,MMK3 …..
and Cayin n8ii+Acro 1000+Fiio Q15(Arrive today)+Ifi Gold bar+Cayin RU7..and demo R8 II for testing…

I ll have many options …Maybe ,best with most neutral devices?

best regards

Sisco
The Trifecta was tuned by Ken Ball himself with WM1Z which is definitely not a neutral DAP.

I would recc trying the WM1Z and the WM1ZM2 and see which you prefer. The absolute best synergy I've heard is with my DMP Z1.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #696 of 876
The Trifecta was tuned by Ken Ball himself with WM1Z which is definitely not a neutral DAP.

I would recc trying the WM1Z and the WM1ZM2 and see which you prefer. The absolute best synergy I've heard is with my DMP Z1.
Testing with Cayin N8ii for a few time,and now witj R8 II..and ARE AWESOME with Trifecta.-i love these Iems..very enganging sound for my taste..

very happy in the first impressions.-

Best Regards

Sisco

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #697 of 876
Hey, thanks for posting.

Really sorry to hear this! Please shoot me an email through our support line, support@campfireaudio.com, and we'll get this straightened out for you asap

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #698 of 876
Pictures? Is it just a metal sticker, as opposed to an embossing? It sounds like where the metal meets the plastic delaminated. I'm not defending it, but if where the logo goes was embossed then covered with a metal sticker (as opposed to engraved then filled), I imagine excessive humidity could cause the surfaces to separate. I'd call CFA to see about getting it fixed/replaced, although if it's only a couple months out, the retailer might honor an exchange if you want to avoid the international shipping costs.
Right:
IMG_2543.jpeg

Left:
IMG_2544.jpeg

It’s just a silver coloured sticker, that I plan on using a clear tape square to stick back on as a temp fix 😂

It’s only a minor thing, I’m honestly not too upset!

Was it HiFi Headphones? their site is no longer showing Campfire Audio.

Nah, it was Hifonix I bought from.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #699 of 876
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #700 of 876
Trifecta First Impressions 24hrs

Fit/Feel
The IEMs themselves look much better than they photograph and are the most comfortable universal I’ve ever used. These IEMs (not attached to a cable) could fly off a desk with a moderate breeze and are very light.
The cable is reminiscent of STAX ear speaker cables, however they are light, have zero microphonics and are excellent from an ergonomics point of view. I do not have complaints here.

Sound
  • density
  • bass oriented, emphasis on mid bass
  • headphone sized dynamics
These are unapologetically American tuned (warm, rich, bass first) and sounds as if they were developed before the forums existed. This IEM is a love letter to bass heads. The sound grows in dynamics from bottom to top, the bass lines shape the soundstage. This is different to other IEMs, where bass notes would be independent of soundstage and dynamics. This IEM is the best ‘enjoyment’ set I’ve used for this reason, it isn’t looking to monitor or ‘perfectly reproduce’ the music. Instead, the focus is on Trifecta taking liberty with presentation and orienting a ‘bass first’ priority (perhaps more midbass than sub bass). For instance, when a bass string is plucked, you can feel the stage and power grow upward but also outward. With Trifecta, I was able to hear flutters of bass lines I wasn't able to before. This presentation you’d find on older hifi systems of the 80s, eg JBL sound systems.

Some may find the bass too much, but to those who’ve experienced such systems, will understand the romantic nature of this sound signature. In addition, the 3DD’s working together give the impression the sound is being reproduced from a larger gear like a headphone. In comparison to XE6, the Trifecta bass is more layered, textured and powerful. XE6’s advantage lies in detail extraction in the upper registers thanks to the EST.
The mids and treble are nothing special in comparison to the bass, they are tuned to complement the bass as this is the main focus. The mids are pulled back slightly with a warmer coloration. There isn’t any perceptible upper mid glare or forwardness I’ve found on other sets such as Odin. Treble doesn’t extend or reveal details as well as XE6, as CFA wants you to focus on bass forward dynamics. Trifecta is not as warm/thick as XE6 but is in the warmer spectrum to my ears. If you found XE6 scratched the bass itch, but you could do with less warmth and desired a more layered/complex bass texture with DD coherency throughout the range, Trifecta may be for you. I love both sets and they complement each other perfectly.

In summary, I would recommend Trifecta for those who want headphone sized dynamics with warmer tuning and an emphasis on the bass. It’s remarkable how much density can be produced from the 3DD arrangement. Ken Ball paid no attention to the current trends in the headfi space, instead he looked to the past and chose to resurrect an overlooked sonic presentation. I have a feeling Trifecta will be remembered as a future classic, defined by explosive dynamics, immense texture, perfect DD coherency and a powerful bass line. Trifecta is a case where presentation is a priority over technicality and it works very well. Hat's off @KB!

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

How would you rate it's bass vs the LX? I recently moved on and up from the LX to the EVO and have the RN6 so I won't be venturing toward the XE6. That Dark Prism (rainbow/clear) Trifecta is calling my name.

Also for anyone who watched that JBL video! The amazing rendition of Nat King Cole's Nature Boy was done by Connie Evingson!!! I had to search way too hard for that version :L3000: :beerchug:

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #701 of 876
How would you rate it's bass vs the LX? I recently moved on and up from the LX to the EVO and have the RN6 so I won't be venturing toward the XE6. That Dark Prism (rainbow/clear) Trifecta is calling my name.

Also for anyone who watched that JBL video! The amazing rendition of Nat King Cole's Nature Boy was done by Connie Evingson!!! I had to search way too hard for that version :L3000: :beerchug:
The Legend X subwoofers are dedicated to the sub bass. The Trifecta has a full range bass presentation, less like subwoofers, more similar to that JBL video. The bass on Trifecta surrounds you and is not emphasized in one particular area. The stage of the bass will stand out as well. The Trifecta bass seems vertical, where as the LX bass seems like it's emanating from two subwoofers. Trifecta is the only IEM I've experienced which sounds like full range retro speakers. It's a must try :heart:

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #702 of 876
Testing with Cayin N8ii for a few time,and now witj R8 II..and ARE AWESOME with Trifecta.-i love these Iems..very enganging sound for my taste..

very happy in the first impressions.-

Best Regards

Sisco

Good to hear it sounds nice with the R8ii-- you should try it with the RS8...great pairup. You can't beat that Sony synergy though...

8BA66B16-9B05-4B32-8EBB-3395AB5EB04E.JPEG

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #703 of 876
Good to hear it sounds nice with the R8ii-- you should try it with the RS8...great pairup. You can't beat that Sony synergy though...

8BA66B16-9B05-4B32-8EBB-3395AB5EB04E.JPEG

I had the RS8...but it gave me problems...Returned..
I have the Cayin N8ii and the new R8II..
From memory...I wouldn't change the R8 II for the RS8...

IMG_1336.jpeg

Best Regards

Sisco

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #704 of 876
I have a brand new set of Trifectas, the hong kong edition specifically, that have been sitting in the box since they arrived Tuesday. We had a bad storm here and my kid's daycare is closed through MLK day because of no power. Add to that family visiting this weekend and I likely won't have time to even unbox these until Tuesday. The wait is killing me.

In other news, the YMCA I work out at near me is aboveground and has a series of windows just along the edge below the ceiling that points out to the woods. At the hour I train at, I get to watch as the sky transitions from nighttime to daybreak to morning. There's this exact shade of blue the sky turns, just when the sun is starting to come up that clicked for me the other day, where I took one look at it and went "oh--astral sky". I'm digging the naming conventions of these sets--I think they're fun and different. I do wish the stock cables were more themed to match the different colors of the shells, as I think it would really help reinforce the limited edition of each colorway. Same with the carrying pouches. @CFA Chris not sure if there's any plans for such a thing on the horizon. If you're looking to accessorize, some polishing cloths for the shells could be cool--bonus points if you do different ones with dye-sublimated artwork of the different sky colors on them.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #705 of 876
I know that nothing beats a real-life personal test, but how would the Trifecta compare to the Final D8000 and the EE Raven, if anybody had a chance to compare.

I loved the final D8000 for classical music and thought it performed way above its price point. However, other genres sounded piercing and tin-like, especially metal and less-than-stellar mastered sources.

Also, I think the Raven is my latest go-to sound for everything, so I wonder what the trifecta could bring to the table as a complementary set. Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

• domi
Back