Campfire Audio Trifecta
Nov 25, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #31 of 876
Currently listening I will try to do some sound impressions later. 20221123_094348.JPG20221123_094841.JPG20221123_094858.JPG20221123_100447.JPG20221123_100458.JPG20221123_100503.JPG20221123_101055.JPG
Wow!!! What an unboxing! One can have different opinions about CA, but they know for sure how to make their stuff look amazing!

By the way, I just realized there seem to be bubbles inside of the IEM (at least on the picture). Are those from the resin?

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #32 of 876
Wow!!! What an unboxing! One can have different opinions about CA, but they know for sure how to make their stuff look amazing!

By the way, I just realized there seem to be bubbles inside of the IEM (at least on the picture). Are those from the resin?
Yes, Trifecta has bubbles in the casing due to the manufacturing process. I confirmed this with CFA a while back. Wish they could've perfected the process but I expect the sound will make up for it. Still looks better than some other iems in the price segment imho.

My Trifecta is in the hands of Fedex who have delayed delivery to Monday, can't wait to finally get them!

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #33 of 876
Further stuff n' things..... 25-30 hours in.....

Source: N8ii
Tips: CA Marshmallow (I like CA foam tips, don't usually swap in others early unless something sounds off/struggle for seal)
Fit: Easy like Sunday morning. Medium-ish depth insert that goes in without much fuss.....very light and comfortable in-ear.

Comparison: I had used the Z1R, Advar, and XE6 on early impressions looking to give some type of sonic landmark to the experience. After 30 or so hours of either brain or driver burn-in....whichever you pray to...still truth to that (50% Z1R, 30% Advar/DD warmth and response, 20% XE6 swirl/boom presentation). Maybe the fastest short-hand is Z1R meets Dorado 2020.

Tone: Warm, analog, boomy/roundly percussive. It's got a helping of the classic-tube gold and honey. A bit of sunshine without being bright in the sense of old school-grado/beyerdynamic. This is probably going to be the make or break for those lucky few putting ears on this set......it's an approach to tone that could be called Two Channel Heaven if you dig or the most Hi-Fi Lo-Fi sound you'll ever hear if you don't. No matter the driver type, a lot of current tone voicing tends to accentuate decay, weight, clarity, color......when I listen to the Atriums or Advars, I feel like I'm in the drum-skin. You feel the brush work, you hear the depth. On Trifecta, your experience is often the reverb-laden space right off the instrument.....the interior of the drum, the buzz over the strings of a guitar. It's expressive and evocative of an earlier style of voicing.....but may seem a little syrupy/one-note for those who most enjoy chasing depth/texture ala' BA or Planar set-ups. Not saying tone is a weakness here....it's just a different approach than most modern TOTL-style voicings. It's a E88CC Gold Lion affair.

Frequency: Mild/mid-mild V. The bass....she a boomin'. This is a wide-range and expressive bass tuning......but it's much more in the vein of a woosh-of-air thump from a two channel than the heavy, down-into-the void rumble and texture of the Z1R or XE6. Mids are a step or two back depending on the mix being feed.....not the star of the show, but a solid presentation. The most modern part of the tuning is the swell into the mid-high and treble the gives definition against the mids and a sense of some lift if not outright air.....but is not sibilant/aggressive. Think Z1R with mids pushed up a notch and treble down one or two. It presents a lot of energy without being fatiguing via tone/tuning.

Special Effect/Technical: The warm/boomy vintage tone can lead one to think that the technicals are so-so on first listen.......but the Trifecta, in my humble ear-holes, is a surprise technical powerhouse for a DD design. It's highly resolving. It images and spaces amongst the best IEM's I've heard, and handles complexity and layering with e-a-s-e. It's the widest stage I've heard in an IEM and plenty holographic. More wide than tall. Against the Z1R as an IEM touch-stone in this category, the Z1R is taller with a cathedral-like effect but not as wide. The Trifecta's presentation is most akin....in terms of what I've heard over the years....to an IEM HD800. Not tone/tuning.....but that nebulous cloud of sound staging. Like the HD800, it can seem artificially stretched on certain mixes (which may or may not be a concern to you).....but it's like nothing else I've ever heard on an IEM for complex or expansive/orchestral mixes. To me, this category is the point of the Trifecta....and like the tone it won't be for everyone. But children......it's straight f##$ing magic golden cosmic fire with certain mixes.

What does it work with?: Trifecta...for me....is working with all genres. It can into delicate....it can into rock/metal. It has plenty of speed and layering. It's really more mix dependent. The Trifecta is not the candidate to go pick apart mid-compressed rock/metal/pop tracks.....like the Z1R, you're going to feel like something is off-balance with scooped/hollow mids (though Trifecta gets you a lot further with a lot more music in this category than the Z1R). But if the mix...any genre...presents good articulation around the instruments or layers......holy hall of sound gods does the Trifecta just grab everything and explode it out into an all-detail-revealed golden cloud of sound.

Intimate solo presentations or small jazz club acoustics.......no issue, Trifecta works big and small. But let me cut to the chase......if an album is instrument-forward, has 6 tracks, and is 90 minutes long.......Trifecta is its soul mate. Prog. Doom. Orchestral. Stoner. Trifecta is like being at a laser-light show in God's planetarium. Earthless?.....MAGIC. King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard......MAGIC. Gentle Giant?.........MAGIC. Elder?.......MAGIC. Porcupine Tree?....MAGIC. Woobler?......MAGIC. Later-day Opeth?.......MAGIC. If an album plays to 70's style organic-synth electronica.......it's like Trifecta was made for it. Tangerine Dream or John Carpenter sound tracks......unbelievably awesome in presentation.

At 30 hours in/TL-DR....
For: Music as an experience ala' the northstar of the HD800 presentation. Complex, layered tracks spun into a sonic, celestial two-channel cloud of the heavens.
Not For: Special effects/"The Experience" low on your list of sonic priorities. The ever-bleeding edge of the modern neutral+technical BA and/or Planar approach is your sole desire and interest.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #34 of 876
Further stuff n' things..... 25-30 hours in.....

Source: N8ii
Tips: CA Marshmallow (I like CA foam tips, don't usually swap in others early unless something sounds off/struggle for seal)
Fit: Easy like Sunday morning. Medium-ish depth insert that goes in without much fuss.....very light and comfortable in-ear.

Comparison: I had used the Z1R, Advar, and XE6 on early impressions looking to give some type of sonic landmark to the experience. After 30 or so hours of either brain or driver burn-in....whichever you pray to...still truth to that (50% Z1R, 30% Advar/DD warmth and response, 20% XE6 swirl/boom presentation). Maybe the fastest short-hand is Z1R meets Dorado 2020.

Tone: Warm, analog, boomy/roundly percussive. It's got a helping of the classic-tube gold and honey. A bit of sunshine without being bright in the sense of old school-grado/beyerdynamic. This is probably going to be the make or break for those lucky few putting ears on this set......it's an approach to tone that could be called Two Channel Heaven if you dig or the most Hi-Fi Lo-Fi sound you'll ever hear if you don't. No matter the driver type, a lot of current tone voicing tends to accentuate decay, weight, clarity, color......when I listen to the Atriums or Advars, I feel like I'm in the drum-skin. You feel the brush work, you hear the depth. On Trifecta, your experience is often the reverb-laden space right off the instrument.....the interior of the drum, the buzz over the strings of a guitar. It's expressive and evocative of an earlier style of voicing.....but may seem a little syrupy/one-note for those who most enjoy chasing depth/texture ala' BA or Planar set-ups. Not saying tone is a weakness here....it's just a different approach than most modern TOTL-style voicings. It's a E88CC Gold Lion affair.

Frequency: Mild/mid-mild V. The bass....she a boomin'. This is a wide-range and expressive bass tuning......but it's much more in the vein of a woosh-of-air thump from a two channel than the heavy, down-into-the void rumble and texture of the Z1R or XE6. Mids are a step or two back depending on the mix being feed.....not the star of the show, but a solid presentation. The most modern part of the tuning is the swell into the mid-high and treble the gives definition against the mids and a sense of some lift if not outright air.....but is not sibilant/aggressive. Think Z1R with mids pushed up a notch and treble down one or two. It presents a lot of energy without being fatiguing via tone/tuning.

Special Effect/Technical: The warm/boomy vintage tone can lead one to think that the technicals are so-so on first listen.......but the Trifecta, in my humble ear-holes, is a surprise technical powerhouse for a DD design. It's highly resolving. It images and spaces amongst the best IEM's I've heard, and handles complexity and layering with e-a-s-e. It's the widest stage I've heard in an IEM and plenty holographic. More wide than tall. Against the Z1R as an IEM touch-stone in this category, the Z1R is taller with a cathedral-like effect but not as wide. The Trifecta's presentation is most akin....in terms of what I've heard over the years....to an IEM HD800. Not tone/tuning.....but that nebulous cloud of sound staging. Like the HD800, it can seem artificially stretched on certain mixes (which may or may not be a concern to you).....but it's like nothing else I've ever heard on an IEM for complex or expansive/orchestral mixes. To me, this category is the point of the Trifecta....and like the tone it won't be for everyone. But children......it's straight f##$ing magic golden cosmic fire with certain mixes.

What does it work with?: Trifecta...for me....is working with all genres. It can into delicate....it can into rock/metal. It has plenty of speed and layering. It's really more mix dependent. The Trifecta is not the candidate to go pick apart mid-compressed rock/metal/pop tracks.....like the Z1R, you're going to feel like something is off-balance with scooped/hollow mids (though Trifecta gets you a lot further with a lot more music in this category than the Z1R). But if the mix...any genre...presents good articulation around the instruments or layers......holy hall of sound gods does the Trifecta just grab everything and explode it out into an all-detail-revealed golden cloud of sound.

Intimate solo presentations or small jazz club acoustics.......no issue, Trifecta works big and small. But let me cut to the chase......if an album is instrument-forward, has 6 tracks, and is 90 minutes long.......Trifecta is its soul mate. Prog. Doom. Orchestral. Stoner. Trifecta is like being at a laser-light show in God's planetarium. Earthless?.....MAGIC. King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard......MAGIC. Gentle Giant?.........MAGIC. Elder?.......MAGIC. Porcupine Tree?....MAGIC. Woobler?......MAGIC. Later-day Opeth?.......MAGIC. If an album plays to 70's style organic-synth electronica.......it's like Trifecta was made for it. Tangerine Dream or John Carpenter sound tracks......unbelievably awesome in presentation.

At 30 hours in/TL-DR....
For: Music as an experience ala' the northstar of the HD800 presentation. Complex, layered tracks spun into a sonic, celestial two-channel cloud of the heavens.
Not For: Special effects/"The Experience" low on your list of sonic priorities. The ever-bleeding edge of the modern neutral+technical BA and/or Planar approach is your sole desire and interest.

Man I love your impressions and writing style. It would be awesome if you could cross post this to the cooler thread :)

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #36 of 876
Man I love your impressions and writing style. It would be awesome if you could cross post this to the cooler thread :)

Thank you sir, I'll take the compliment for my humble and sometime sober rambles :upside_down: I'll post over in the WC to share an impression-point on a rare IEM....no where near the experienced IEM opinion-giver many are there.

Nov 25, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #38 of 876
My impression is slightly different from the one I had at CanJam SoCal. Remember, I said Trifecta was the best sounding IEMs on the floor. Indeed, Trifecta sounds like closed-back full-sized overheads. Today, Trifecta so much reminds me of Sony MDR-Z1R especially in the bass region when used with Noble Audio silicon tips (shown in the photo). Owning Sony IER-Z1R, I must say that I prefer Z1R for its unique timber (color) in each register, whereas Trifecta doesn’t give much timbral coloration throughout the ranges (at this point!). I look forward to a 100hr burn-in mark to revise my impression.
Having crossed 30 hrs burning-in, I keep questioning the positioning of notes. While the IEMs producing a LOT of music, I get this feeling that notes are in close proximity (in front of you) and on the same plain rather than each being placed different distance/direction away from you. Hmmm…..

Nov 26, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #39 of 876
Having crossed 30 hrs burning-in, I keep questioning the positioning of notes. While the IEMs producing a LOT of music, I get this feeling that notes are in close proximity (in front of you) and on the same plain rather than each being placed different distance/direction away from you. Hmmm…
Update:
Burning is REAL. For a minute I was concerned about the imaging, hearing big sphere of music but not being able to easily pinpoint the instruments. Things have been improving with each and every hour. Good news!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #40 of 876
Excellent news @pdL389! I've been prepping for Monday's Trifecta delivery by listening to Chord Hugo 2Go + Legend X CIEM. This combo has floored me, sometimes I can forget what magic synergies are in the collection. Trifecta will be pushed to its abilities aided by Hugo 2's sheer technical prowess and bass slam ability.

IMG_0323.jpg

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #41 of 876
Trifecta First Impressions 24hrs

Fit/Feel
The IEMs themselves look much better than they photograph and are the most comfortable universal I’ve ever used. These IEMs (not attached to a cable) could fly off a desk with a moderate breeze and are very light.
The cable is reminiscent of STAX ear speaker cables, however they are light, have zero microphonics and are excellent from an ergonomics point of view. I do not have complaints here.

Sound
  • density
  • bass oriented, emphasis on mid bass
  • headphone sized dynamics
These are unapologetically American tuned (warm, rich, bass first) and sounds as if they were developed before the forums existed. This IEM is a love letter to bass heads. The sound grows in dynamics from bottom to top, the bass lines shape the soundstage. This is different to other IEMs, where bass notes would be independent of soundstage and dynamics. This IEM is the best ‘enjoyment’ set I’ve used for this reason, it isn’t looking to monitor or ‘perfectly reproduce’ the music. Instead, the focus is on Trifecta taking liberty with presentation and orienting a ‘bass first’ priority (perhaps more midbass than sub bass). For instance, when a bass string is plucked, you can feel the stage and power grow upward but also outward. With Trifecta, I was able to hear flutters of bass lines I wasn't able to before. This presentation you’d find on older hifi systems of the 80s, eg JBL sound systems.

Some may find the bass too much, but to those who’ve experienced such systems, will understand the romantic nature of this sound signature. In addition, the 3DD’s working together give the impression the sound is being reproduced from a larger gear like a headphone. In comparison to XE6, the Trifecta bass is more layered, textured and powerful. XE6’s advantage lies in detail extraction in the upper registers thanks to the EST.
The mids and treble are nothing special in comparison to the bass, they are tuned to complement the bass as this is the main focus. The mids are pulled back slightly with a warmer coloration. There isn’t any perceptible upper mid glare or forwardness I’ve found on other sets such as Odin. Treble doesn’t extend or reveal details as well as XE6, as CFA wants you to focus on bass forward dynamics. Trifecta is not as warm/thick as XE6 but is in the warmer spectrum to my ears. If you found XE6 scratched the bass itch, but you could do with less warmth and desired a more layered/complex bass texture with DD coherency throughout the range, Trifecta may be for you. I love both sets and they complement each other perfectly.

In summary, I would recommend Trifecta for those who want headphone sized dynamics with warmer tuning and an emphasis on the bass. It’s remarkable how much density can be produced from the 3DD arrangement. Ken Ball paid no attention to the current trends in the headfi space, instead he looked to the past and chose to resurrect an overlooked sonic presentation. I have a feeling Trifecta will be remembered as a future classic, defined by explosive dynamics, immense texture, perfect DD coherency and a powerful bass line. Trifecta is a case where presentation is a priority over technicality and it works very well. Hat's off @KB!

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #42 of 876

Fit/Feel
The IEMs themselves look much better than they photograph and are the most comfortable universal I’ve ever used. These IEMs (not attached to a cable) could fly off a desk with a moderate breeze and are very light.
The cable is reminiscent of STAX ear speaker cables, however they are light, have zero microphonics and are excellent from an ergonomics point of view. I do not have complaints here.

Sound
  • density
These are unapologetically American tuned (warm, rich, bass first) and sounds as if they were developed before the forums existed. This IEM is a love letter to bass heads. The sound grows in dynamics from bottom to top, the bass lines shape the soundstage. This is different to other IEMs, where bass notes would be independent of soundstage and dynamics. This IEM is the best ‘enjoyment’ set I’ve used for this reason, it isn’t looking to monitor or ‘perfectly reproduce’ the music. Instead, the focus is on Trifecta taking liberty with presentation and orienting a ‘bass first’ priority (perhaps more midbass than sub bass). For instance, when a bass string is plucked, you can feel the stage and power grow upward but also outward. With Trifecta, I was able to hear flutters of bass lines I wasn't able to before. This presentation you’d find on older hifi systems of the 80s, eg JBL sound systems.

Some may find the bass too much, but to those who’ve experienced such systems, will understand the romantic nature of this sound signature. In addition, the 3DD’s working together give the impression the sound is being reproduced from a larger gear like a headphone. In comparison to XE6, the Trifecta bass is more layered, textured and powerful. XE6’s advantage lies in detail extraction in the upper registers thanks to the EST.
The mids and treble are nothing special in comparison to the bass, they are tuned to complement the bass as this is the main focus. The mids are pulled back slightly with a warmer coloration. There isn’t any perceptible upper mid glare or forwardness I’ve found on other sets such as Odin. Treble doesn’t extend or reveal details as well as XE6, as CFA wants you to focus on bass forward dynamics. Trifecta is not as warm/thick as XE6 but is in the warmer spectrum to my ears. If you found XE6 scratched the bass itch, but you could do with less warmth and desired a more layered/complex bass texture with DD coherency throughout the range, Trifecta may be for you. I love both sets and they complement each other perfectly.

In summary, I would recommend Trifecta for those who want headphone sized dynamics with warmer tuning and an emphasis on the bass. It’s remarkable how much density can be produced from the 3DD arrangement. Ken Ball paid no attention to the current trends in the headfi space, instead he looked to the past and chose to resurrect an overlooked sonic presentation. I have a feeling Trifecta will be remembered as a future classic, defined by explosive dynamics, immense texture, perfect DD coherency and a powerful bass line. Trifecta is a case where presentation is a priority over technicality and it works very well. Hat's off @KB!

Beating-Heart-Emoji-3160597598.png

So nice to see this set getting the love it deserves. I hope you cross post :)

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #43 of 876
Ken Ball paid no attention to the current trends in the headfi space,

This is EXACTLY why CFA is and always will be one of my favorite brands.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #44 of 876
Ugh.... I hope my set ships someday from Germany! It feels like I won't get my pair until next year at this rate! Great to read the early impressions. I can't wait, as this tuning is right in line with my tastes.

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #45 of 876

Fit/Feel

Sound
  • density

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Ugh.... I hope my set ships someday from Germany! It feels like I won't get my pair until next year at this rate! Great to read the early impressions. I can't wait, as this tuning is right in line with my tastes.

It'll be worth the wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back