Campfire Audio Polaris - New CA IEM
Aug 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #46 of 312
if it's using the same dynamic driver as the Vega; I'm in -- can anyone confirm?
I'm assuming there'd be mention of a non-crystalline Diamond Dynamic Driver if that were truly the case.

I'm going to confirm that they wouldn't put that driver in something that comes with an extra driver on top of it and then costs less.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #48 of 312
The fact that they don't Nevin the DD at all, just the 3D printed tuning enclosures to the front and back of it probably mean it isn't the Beryllium dinner of the Lyra/LyraII either. The price implies they have managed to supercharge a dynamic driver of more traditional materials by using the enclosures to find the sound they want.

Looking forward to hearing more unison's on these.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #49 of 312
I have really high hopes for these, I've been impressed by the Lyra II and even moreso by the single armature Orion. Although the Nova was a disappointment and kind of mediocre for me I can't wait to see what these sound like.

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #52 of 312
P_20170812_140153.jpg

Lets see how it sounds with AK KANN and AK380 :D

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #56 of 312
How did you get it so fast, ordered mine Friday hope to get it by Tuesday

It's a demo unit on a shop near my area, haha. So...yeah.

Anyway...brief first impression.

Paired with AK KANN DAP

P_20170812_144658.jpg

The bass is quite visceral, as expected from a dynamic driver, really brings out the rumble from some of my bass-heavy tracks that would otherwise be very hard to pick up. The mids are lovely and forward along with the bass, while the treble is good, but can be a bit sharp at times, and didn't reach the level that Andromeda could go, which is obvious for the price difference. The soundstage is nice and has a mild 3D feel, but is a little bit congested compared to Andromeda which is much more open and 3D.

Paired with AK380 standard DAP

P_20170812_145410.jpg

The bass goes lower but remained a bit neutral without being too musical, the treble is less hot and sibilant compared to KANN, the mids became more open sounding if only just a bit. The soundstage is definitely wider but still can't match Andromeda's pairing.

Paired with CHORD Mojo USB connected to my Zenfone

Even listening to 320kb is a breeze. Has quite a good sense of separation between instruments regardless of genre. But works best with classic slow songs or vocal focused tracks like Frank Sinatra or Adele and Michael Jackson. The bass really hits hard when it needs to.

Overall so far

A very enjoyable package and I find it much more enjoyable than Dorado which has a very weird sound signature to my ears for some reason but can't quite place what it is...maybe it's just not my cup of tea but it definitely feels like Lyra II and Andromeda got married and had a very promising baby hybrid here that gives a balance of fun and serious listening with a slight soundstage compromise.

I definitely love it and would listen again in next week when I got more spare time. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

EDIT: Pics added.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #57 of 312
It's a demo unit on a shop near my area, haha. So...yeah.

Anyway...brief first impression.

Paired with AK KANN DAP

The bass is quite visceral, as expected from a dynamic driver, really brings out the rumble from some of my bass-heavy tracks that would otherwise be very hard to pick up. The mids are lovely and forward along with the bass, while the treble is good, but can be a bit sharp at times, and didn't reach the level that Andromeda could go, which is obvious for the price difference. The soundstage is nice and has a mild 3D feel, but is a little bit congested compared to Andromeda which is much more open and 3D.

Paired with AK380 standard DAP

The bass goes lower but remained a bit neutral without being too musical, the treble is less hot and sibilant compared to KANN, the mids became more open sounding if only just a bit. The soundstage is definitely wider but still can't match Andromeda's pairing.

Paired with CHORD Mojo USB connected to my Zenfone

Even listening to 320kb is a breeze. Has quite a good sense of separation between instruments regardless of genre. But works best with classic slow songs or vocal focused tracks like Frank Sinatra or Adele and Michael Jackson. The bass really hits hard when it needs to.

Overall so far

A very enjoyable package and I find it much more enjoyable than Dorado which has a very weird sound signature to my ears for some reason but can't quite place what it is...maybe it's just not my cup of tea but it definitely feels like Lyra II and Andromeda got married and had a very promising baby hybrid here that gives a balance of fun and serious listening with a slight soundstage compromise.

I definitely love it and would listen again in next week when I got more spare time. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Will edit post with pics soon.

Great first impression. Seems like it is the sound i am looking for. I have read that the Andromeda has one of the widest soundstages of any IEM but how does the soundstage of the Polaris compare to other IEMs in its own price bracket (500-600 $) ?

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #58 of 312
Great first impression. Seems like it is the sound i am looking for. I have read that the Andromeda has one of the widest soundstages of any IEM but how does the soundstage of the Polaris compare to other IEMs in its own price bracket (500-600 $) ?

The Andromeda is still a great achievement in my book when it comes to 3D soundstage accuracy and musicality. Definitely recommended.

And as for Polaris comparing to the smaller models, I'd say it's at least better than Orion and Nova IMO.

The Orion's bass is pretty neutral for a BA driver, but if you want some punch and visceral sense in the impact, I'd definitely recommend Polaris over it. But your mileage may vary so maybe give it a listen first before pulling the trigger if you can? :wink:

And honestly...for a dual BA, I am not really sure if I like Nova's sound since it sounded mildly off on the treble in some tracks. And the soundstage feels weird too. But that could just be me.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #59 of 312
The Andromeda is still a great achievement in my book when it comes to 3D soundstage accuracy and musicality. Definitely recommended.

And as for Polaris comparing to the smaller models, I'd say it's at least better than Orion and Nova IMO.

The Orion's bass is pretty neutral for a BA driver, but if you want some punch and visceral sense in the impact, I'd definitely recommend Polaris over it. But your mileage may vary so maybe give it a listen first before pulling the trigger if you can? :wink:

And honestly...for a dual BA, I am not really sure if I like Nova's sound since it sounded mildly off on the treble in some tracks. And the soundstage feels weird too. But that could just be me.

I will definitely demo it first before pulling the trigger but that will be a few months away as there is no way to demo it nearby. I will visit Hong Kong in a few months and that's when i will try the various models out. Hopefully by then there will be multiple reviews of the Polaris.

Though i've never tried any of the the Campfires out, the Orion seem to be too light on bass for me (according to reviews) as i mostly use the Aurisonics Harmony (Fender FXA7) as my daily driver. The Orion and Nova are on my list to try out but considering they both are BA only based models i doubt they have enough bass for me.

So i am very happy Campfire announced a hybrid in this price bracket and it seems like Polaris would be my first choice according to the first impressions. The other Campfire models are out of my price range.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #60 of 312
Looking at crinnacle's measurements, that mild subbass bump looks like tons of fun :)

Hoping the recessed mids are less than that giant dip in the Jupiters' upper mids that threw off coherency and tonality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back