Campfire Audio Orion - Single BA IEM from the folks at ALO - Overachieving from Portland OR - first impressions
Dec 1, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #76 of 126
The Orion has long been one of my favorites!

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #77 of 126
The Orion has long been one of my favorites!
I am currently listening to the DITA Dreams and am going to compare them for fun soon I think. I think the mids on both need to be more closely observed. The Orion are simply elegantly voiced

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #78 of 126
I have owned the Orion, Nova, Lyra, Lyra II, Jupiter, Andromeda and Vega and eventually sold them all, but returned to the Orion with the purchase of a 2nd set to replace the ones I foolishly sold. They are a keeper for me! Their Cons are few and their Pluses many!

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #79 of 126
just got one, excellent excellent, the spinfits however adds a touch of sibilance, the included foam tips adds bass removes a tad bit of the sibilance but is annoying in the insertion and removal of the iem in the ears.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #81 of 126
I just bought a set of Orions that come with a Shure cable. I want to get a balanced cable for my AK300 and wondered if there are any recommendations. I'd love to get a Therium from Norne but that'll end up being close to twice what I paid for the Orions.
Should I be looking at Copper, Silver or a Cu/Ag mix?

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #82 of 126
I just bought a set of Orions that come with a Shure cable. I want to get a balanced cable for my AK300 and wondered if there are any recommendations. I'd love to get a Therium from Norne but that'll end up being close to twice what I paid for the Orions.

Not sure my comments will help, but... I've got a home made balanced copper (silver plated) cable which I tried with my AK320 and Orions, and found that while it focussed them even more towards the mid range and vocals, it took away the little bit of low end warmth I was getting through the single-ended output - so I went back to the stock SE cable.

I'd planned on getting a Toxic cable balanced for the Orions, but I felt like to my ears, the balanced out didn't really suit them - and tamed the little bit of bass that they have a bit too much.

Would be interested to know if this was the experience of others too.

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #83 of 126
Not sure my comments will help, but... I've got a home made balanced copper (silver plated) cable which I tried with my AK320 and Orions, and found that while it focussed them even more towards the mid range and vocals, it took away the little bit of low end warmth I was getting through the single-ended output - so I went back to the stock SE cable.

I'd planned on getting a Toxic cable balanced for the Orions, but I felt like to my ears, the balanced out didn't really suit them - and tamed the little bit of bass that they have a bit too much.

Would be interested to know if this was the experience of others too.

Thanks for the reply. I've found balanced makes some things better and others not so much. I hear an increase in dynamics and a livelier sound but the push forward sometimes takes away from the subtleties of sound staging. (that is on my HE560's)
I was thinking that cutting the output impedance in half by going balanced would be a better match for the Orions but I'm not about to buy two of the same cables (one balanced one SE) to find out. Maybe I'll rethink this balanced thing?

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #84 of 126
I am using the iBasso CB12. Very nice match...adds a bit of weight to the lows and I have never noted any performance cons. Build quality is 1st rate. I use it mostly with my DX200 and Pono Player (with TRRS balanced adapter) Price is less than $100.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #85 of 126
I am using the iBasso CB12. Very nice match...adds a bit of weight to the lows and I have never noted any performance cons. Build quality is 1st rate. I use it mostly with my DX200 and Pono Player (with TRRS balanced adapter) Price is less than $100.

Nice!.. Good price too... thanks.

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #86 of 126
Thanks for the reply. I've found balanced makes some things better and others not so much. I hear an increase in dynamics and a livelier sound but the push forward sometimes takes away from the subtleties of sound staging. (that is on my HE560's)
I was thinking that cutting the output impedance in half by going balanced would be a better match for the Orions but I'm not about to buy two of the same cables (one balanced one SE) to find out. Maybe I'll rethink this balanced thing?

I'd definitely wait for more people to weigh in before rethinking - my experiences might just be down to me and my ears.

I do tend to find that balanced does a better job of focussing multi-armature/driver IEMS than single driver. Using JH Rosies with the balanced output takes them more towards reference sound with slightly better separation, whereas with the SE out they're a bit warmer and the sound is more meshed - but they have a bit more weight in the low end.

Edit: Being an idiot, I just realised it's the AK300 that I have and not the AK320. The Orions through the SE out are what I always seem to come back to - probably the best synergy I've had with the Orions... but it has made me desperate to try the FitEar ToGo 334!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #88 of 126
Yoik, I just looked up the price of the fitear togo 334’s... don’t see those in my future.

I’ll get something because otherwise I’ll always wonder.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #89 of 126
Good to see this thread is still alive.

Looking forward to pairing the Orion with Spiral Tips.

I have tried it at shows and really enjoyed it.

Love the vibrant box colors, quite different from the box on the first page of this thread.

AC4B24F3-0880-49F0-9F53-28E6030B1F02.jpeg

Attachments

• 383D893D-1DFD-4415-A46B-0BCF77C4E99D.jpeg
    383D893D-1DFD-4415-A46B-0BCF77C4E99D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back