Campfire Audio Orion - Single BA IEM from the folks at ALO - Overachieving from Portland OR - first impressions
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #92 of 126
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #93 of 126
I thought I'd post some thoughts about the Orion I recently got:

Imo, the Orion's are not a brief listen IEM. Over time, I've appreciate them because they're pretty flat and are non-fatiguing. They don't sound particularly good with rock or pop (lack of forward bass really hurts here), but the forward midrange really makes them great for the "girl on a stool with guitar" kind of music. Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin sound pleasant with it.

I own the Andromeda too and while they outclass the Orion, I do enjoy how the I can plug my Orion into my DAP (Cayin N5ii) without needing IEMatch (light hissing only when no music on). Not to mention they're light and isolate pretty well with the Campfire Marshmallow tips.

Flat, simple and easy going is what I'd describe the Orion as. They're not as analytical or neutral as the ER4SR and they're not bassy as say the IT01, Bravado, Roxanne II or Atlas. They're not going to blow your mind like the Andromeda with its soundstage. Vocals are not as sweet as the N5005, Angies or even Final Audio E5000. They're kind of just...there. And I like it. Will post more impressions as I listen to them more.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #94 of 126
Ya, so lately, I've been using my Orions with the following setup:

Symbio W tips + Orion + stock cable + IEMatch (high sensitivity) + Cayin N5ii (low gain).

They sound wonderfully flat with a hint of warmth =P They're actually quite good IEMs for "reseting" your music palette. Very unexciting and non-fatiguing sound. Liking them more as a I listen to them. Perhaps they'll make it through the new toy honeymoon stage (not many have to me haha).

Might reterminate the stock cable to 2.5mm and see how it sounds balanced.

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #96 of 126
Thinking about getting a pair of Orion's. I would like to know are they a better choice than the RHA T20?

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #97 of 126
Thinking about getting a pair of Orion's. I would like to know are they a better choice than the RHA T20?

They seem like opposite sound signatures. T20 is bassy vs. the Orion attempts to be balanced.

Orions have quickly become my go to for IEMs (despite having the Andromeda and Bravado). They’re just so easy going and soft. Nice and lightweight. Non-tangle stock cable. Matches up nicely with my Cayin N5ii + IEMatch + Symbio W eartips. Loads of detail while remaining coherent as a single BA. I’m surprised it doesn’t get more attention. Very non-fatiguing listen.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #98 of 126
They seem like opposite sound signatures. T20 is bassy vs. the Orion attempts to be balanced.

Orions have quickly become my go to for IEMs (despite having the Andromeda and Bravado). They’re just so easy going and soft. Nice and lightweight. Non-tangle stock cable. Matches up nicely with my Cayin N5ii + IEMatch + Symbio W eartips. Loads of detail while remaining coherent as a single BA. I’m surprised it doesn’t get more attention. Very non-fatiguing listen.

I just ordered a set of Orion and I own a Cayin N3, do you think this is a good match or should I look into adding an amp...? TIA ! :)

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #99 of 126
I just ordered a set of Orion and I own a Cayin N3, do you think this is a good match or should I look into adding an amp...? TIA ! :)

Hmmm...might be too much power for the Orion. It hisses with my N5ii so I have to use a IEMatch which I feel actually improves the sound.

Luis

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #100 of 126
Hmmm...might be too much power for the Orion. It hisses with my N5ii so I have to use a IEMatch which I feel actually improves the sound.

Luis

admittedly I'm a newb in hifi audio so should I assume that you would recommend adding the IEMatch to the setup then to solve this issue?

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #101 of 126
admittedly I'm a newb in hifi audio so should I assume that you would recommend adding the IEMatch to the setup then to solve this issue?

If you hear hissing or floor noise in the background of the music.

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #102 of 126
well, this is interesting... I don't hear any hissing / floor noise whatsoever with the CA Orion using the Cayin N3... can I expect them to come alive with some burn-in time and locking the OI to 2.5ohm with the IEMatch High setting? I'm not sure if anyone else has the Orion so hopefully someone can chime in on their experience and recommendations for squeezing out the best results/performance out of these (dac, iematch, ue buffer jack, and other adapters)... go EZ on me, I'm a nub but I have been reading through the forums for several weeks and I have not yet come across anyone with my setup so it's probably safe to assume I don't have an adequate setup LOL

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #103 of 126
well, this is interesting... I don't hear any hissing / floor noise whatsoever with the CA Orion using the Cayin N3... can I expect them to come alive with some burn-in time and locking the OI to 2.5ohm with the IEMatch High setting? I'm not sure if anyone else has the Orion so hopefully someone can chime in on their experience and recommendations for squeezing out the best results/performance out of these (dac, iematch, ue buffer jack, and other adapters)... go EZ on me, I'm a nub but I have been reading through the forums for several weeks and I have not yet come across anyone with my setup so it's probably safe to assume I don't have an adequate setup LOL

Try Orion + IEMatch (High setting) + N3 on medium or low gain. Let me know what you think.

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #104 of 126
ok with those settings, it seems to have boosted the bass a touch... now I need to push my volume way higher up to 70/100 to get the same level, i guess it makes sense... for some reason it sounds thinner / darker now :triportsad:

Oct 23, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #105 of 126
ok with those settings, it seems to have boosted the bass a touch... now I need to push my volume way higher up to 70/100 to get the same level, i guess it makes sense... for some reason it sounds thinner / darker now

Yep, I agree with those points. Now try some silicone tips like Spinfits or the stock ones.

70/100 volume is intense...I use about 35 with my N5ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back