Campfire Audio New IEM release
May 15, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #167 of 1,221
I posted the following in the Solaris thread, but going to repost it here for those interested in impressions with differences compared to OG Solaris:

Solaris 2020 have landed and I've been listening and comparing back and forth with my OG Solaris, so thought I'd share some VERY preliminary thoughts. I've had my OG Solaris since it was released, so it is well broken in, whereas the Solaris 2020 has only about five hours of use now, so these should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly relative to the low end given that the 10mm ADLC dynamic driver definitely needs to be run for a while before it really opens up. I've been using both with PW Audio limited cable (I have two), out of my SP1000M, so beyond the Solaris 2020 being brand new, the comparison is pretty apples to apples.

First, a note on ergonomics and size of the new 2020s. Campfire has said they shrunk the size by 20%, and while that doesn't sound like much, in person this feels much more significant. They feel a lot smaller. They nestle much more closely in the ears, and although I never had a problem with the original Solaris' fit, the 2020's smaller size definitely makes them feel more flush with your ears and less like you have bolts sticking out of them. However, something to note is that the housing is not only smaller, the angles at which the sound tube upon which the tips fit has changed slightly and the sound tube itself sticks out less far from the rest of the housing. So overall, at least on my ears, the Solaris 2020 do not fit any deeper in my ears than the OGs (in fact, it may be possible for me to get the OGs slightly deeper in my ears than the Solaris 2020s). The 2020s are overall have the edge in comfort even though the OGs never caused me any fit issues. Two other things to note about the physical appearance are: 1) while that the new PVD finish is very nice and I like how understated it is, it has a glossy finish as opposed to the more satin finish on the OG, which definitely makes finger prints and oil from your fingers more noticeable, and 2) it looks like the vent on the 2020s is slightly larger than on the OGs--I'm not sure if this makes any sonic difference, but it is something I noticed. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but will upload some once I do.

Ok, on to what you probably care most about--some sound impressions. On the whole, as it sounds like from others' descriptions was the case with the Solaris SE (which I've never heard), the 2020s are close to the OGs sound; however, there are noticeable, albeit slight differences. You still have the big soudstage, that lovely clear, holographic sound of the OG Solaris. The biggest difference, which also sounds to be in line with how folks have described the SE sound in comparison to OG, is that the mids are slightly but noticeably more forward as well as a bit fuller than the OG mids. The overall result of this is that the sound is a little more cohesive. The 2020s are still great at layering and there is great imaging and instrument separation, but whereas on the OG, different parts could feel very much like individual tracks layered on top of each other, the 2020s are a little more of a cohesive blend. Depending on your preferences, I could definitely see some people really liking this (it is more realistic), but others might prefer the slightly more distinct layers. With the slightly more forward mids and more cohesive blending, you also get a little more texture and resolution; however, the flip side of this is that on some tracks, bass and treble feel like the pop a little bit more on the OG.

Speaking of treble, on early listening, the Solaris 2020 feels perhaps a little more textured and a little bit better blended--a little more refined than on the OG. Still the same airiness and sparkle of the OG, just a little more cohesive. As far as the bass goes (and again, I really don't want to make any definitive impressions here), my early impression is there may be a bit more mid-bass on the 2020s compared to the OGs, but the bass has already changed a bit in just the first few hours of listening, so completely reserving judgement until they have been run in a bit more

May 15, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #170 of 1,221
In my opinion owning both, which I am selling my AG as we speak, the Solaris 2020 destroys the AG. It does everything better... everything.

Did you feel that Solaris SE destroy the AG? If not, was it the size that tip the scale to "destroy" or size+sound change that tip the scale?

May 15, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #171 of 1,221
I think the AG is technically on par with the Solaris, they just do things differently. I think the Solaris might be a better daily driver though. I can't say I've heard anything that sounds like the Solaris. The AG's special feature is the lack of crossover. I feel the AG is a better overall package than the Andro OG at the end of the day for my tastes. I did prefer the Andro OG to the Solaris OG in my initial time with the two though.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #172 of 1,221
Ive owned both the AG and the OG and I would say they do not complete with each other at all and you cant really compare the two. Sound signature, staging, micro detail, input dependance absolutely everything about them is different. To say one was better than the other just comes down to what you like to listen to and your DAP. I would totally own both for different very different reasons. Solaris I listen to when i want stage and detail, the AG's were like a pre-game before going to a party. They were full of fun energy that was addicting to listen to. It was not a balance or relaxing experience but damned it if wasn't exciting.

May 15, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #173 of 1,221
Ive owned both the AG and the OG and I would say they do not complete with each other at all and you cant really compare the two. Sound signature, staging, micro detail, input dependance absolutely everything about them is different. To say one was better than the other just comes down to what you like to listen to and your DAP. I would totally own both for different very different reasons. Solaris I listen to when i want stage and detail, the AG's were like a pre-game before going to a party. They were full of fun energy that was addicting to listen to. It was not a balance or relaxing experience but damned it if wasn't exciting.
The Solaris 2020 is better... I’m listening to them side by side right now. The extra bass the 2020 has is better quality and goes deeper then the AG and I’d say more quantity as well. The mids are more elevated and full sounding on the 2020. The treble is pretty similar on both. Now throw in the holographic sound stage, but by all means draw your own conclusions.

May 15, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #174 of 1,221
Did you feel that Solaris SE destroy the AG? If not, was it the size that tip the scale to "destroy" or size+sound change that tip the scale?
All of the above. Yes the SE is all around better than the AG but the 2020 has all the strengths of the SE with more sub bass and mid bass from what I can tell. Doing an A/B right now.
E5684353-7789-4216-8D8B-704A5A5F1C89.jpeg

May 15, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #176 of 1,221
The Solaris 2020 is better... I’m listening to them side by side right now. The extra bass the 2020 has is better quality and goes deeper then the AG and I’d say more quantity as well. The mids are more elevated and full sounding on the 2020. The treble is pretty similar on both. Now throw in the holographic sound stage, but by all means draw your own conclusions.
Don't disagree necessarily that the Solaris is better...but I would argue they are different beasts and one could argue hard to compare. I had the AG and replaced then with the U12t's, which I thought bettered the AG across the board, but I think an all-BA IEM and hybrid can co-exist in your collection quite nicely. The AG is much more neutral, analytical, and perhaps even more "accurate" than the Solaris...just my opinion.

May 15, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #177 of 1,221
All of the above. Yes the SE is all around better than the AG but the 2020 has all the strengths of the SE with more sub bass and mid bass from what I can tell. Doing an A/B right now. E5684353-7789-4216-8D8B-704A5A5F1C89.jpeg

Yes, sub-bass is what I adore dearly but don't want any more bass in quantity than OG/SE. Did you hear more bass presence?

May 15, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #179 of 1,221
It’s definitely a bit more present but it’s not enough to change the signature. It’s hard to explain, you have to just hear it yourself honestly.

Its certainly going to be interesting when they get here then, Bloom ran out before I got my order in. I don't think i would want my Solaris to sound anything like my AGs did. The only thing i want from my 2020's is to fit in my head. lol Which dap are you using to compare the two? The M11?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back