Campfire Audio Multiverse
Nov 16, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #391 of 523
Wow..
You might need one of these @Damz87 šŸŽ… My ABS-shelled Onyx already got some micro scratches from putting in the mesh bags. These musashino cover might help prevent that
300606_60594.jpg
300606_60595.jpg

link
Thank you! Yeah I think I will need to invest in one set of these. The polished brass seems to be even worse than the stainless steel Andromeda for micro-scratches and fingerprints šŸ˜­

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #392 of 523
Wow..
You might need one of these @Damz87 šŸŽ… My ABS-shelled Onyx already got some micro scratches from putting in the mesh bags. These musashino cover might help prevent that
300606_60594.jpg
300606_60595.jpg

link

Anyone wanna order these for me? lol. Google translate tries to help, bless its heart.

Nov 16, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #393 of 523
Some follow up on my Onyx thoughts. Definitely still really like the sound Iā€™m getting from these, but I had mostly been listening to rock/alt/indie, with some quick/basic tests I use for confirming that new gear sounds how I want it to sound.

I started listening to some bass heavier music (Yeasayerā€™s Fragrant World), and Iā€™m hearing some of the finer bass details that can frequently get lost in less resolving headphones. They may not have been perfect with the Big Black Delta remix of Midnight City (but to be fair, most headphones arenā€™t, that track just has a tendency to turn to bass-mud on its own), but theyā€™re still very good.

Definitely maintaining that these were still a good purchase and are for sure going to become my daily drivers. Listening to the Onyxs on an off all day I havenā€™t felt any of the fatigue that the Polarises and Holocenes can give me (each for different reasons). Iā€™m still intrigued by the Dorado 2020s, but I think my ā€œV with less bass than than the Polaris IIā€ itch is currently being scratched.

Nov 16, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #394 of 523
I saw on your signature that you have the WM1A, how is the pairing?

They (Gold Ti) sound perfect on the Sony (low gain), definitely more "body" than my FiiO M11Plus LTD and no hum (it's not necessarily distracting on the FiiO but it's there). I figured I'd sell the WM1A when I got the FiiO but decided I'd miss it too much. I'd instantly buy an updated WM1A if it had USB-C and any streaming app (sadly the NW-507 is not good enough...)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #395 of 523
Hi.
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I thought I should write a post here as I bought the Andromeda TIā€˜s (no. 5) and people seem to be interested in the performance.

A little about me, Iā€™m a medical student in my fourth year from Norway. I got into head-fi as I spend an absurd time studying and listening to music at the same time makes it more bearable. Im fortunate to have a good part-time job that allows me to pay for this rather expensive hobby. I have played classical guitar since I was a kid and sing in a mens choir. Im into all kinds of music - grunge, opera, classical, techno - you name it. Iā€™m a big time music junkie.

Alright, lets get down to the Andromeda TIs. I have the OG Andromedas and absolutely love the imaging and soundstage of those, but they always left me wanting for just a little more oomph in the bass. And boy to the TIs deliver on this aspect. I have only had them for 2 days, but I can clearly hear that they have a lot more weight to the sound. I donā€™t have any measuring equipment so I have to go by what I hear and I hear a much needed improvement in sub bass extension and a little more bass overall. They donā€™t shake your head like a dynamic driver IEM does, but the bass is there not lacking. The soundstaging also feels more coherent than OG Andros even though they are about the same when it comes to width/depth. With the OG Andros it felt like the sound appeared in clearly defined layers and on the Andro TIs these layers are more connected. I donā€™t have any issues with sibilance/harshness. I usually test for this on Contact by Daft Punk about 2 minutes into the track when the cymbals start crashing from left and right. Some overly bright transducers make these cymbals sound painful, but not on any of my Andros. They also handle the business in that track admirably.

These are just some first impressions, I will post some more when I get a little more time to compare these more in depth. Listening was done on RME ADI-2 DAC FS, iPod Touch and Lotoo Paw S1 - all hiss free. Sadly both of my Andros hiss a bit too much on my Sony A105. I will update my signature with current gear.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #396 of 523
Hi.
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I thought I should write a post here as I bought the Andromeda TIā€˜s (no. 5) and people seem to be interested in the performance.

A little about me, Iā€™m a medical student in my fourth year from Norway. I got into head-fi as I spend an absurd time studying and listening to music at the same time makes it more bearable. Im fortunate to have a good part-time job that allows me to pay for this rather expensive hobby. I have played classical guitar since I was a kid and sing in a mens choir. Im into all kinds of music - grunge, opera, classical, techno - you name it. Iā€™m a big time music junkie.

Alright, lets get down to the Andromeda TIs. I have the OG Andromedas and absolutely love the imaging and soundstage of those, but they always left me wanting for just a little more oomph in the bass. And boy to the TIs deliver on this aspect. I have only had them for 2 days, but I can clearly hear that they have a lot more weight to the sound. I donā€™t have any measuring equipment so I have to go by what I hear and I hear a much needed improvement in sub bass extension and a little more bass overall. They donā€™t shake your head like a dynamic driver IEM does, but the bass is there not lacking. The soundstaging also feels more coherent than OG Andros even though they are about the same when it comes to width/depth. With the OG Andros it felt like the sound appeared in clearly defined layers and on the Andro TIs these layers are more connected. I donā€™t have any issues with sibilance/harshness. I usually test for this on Contact by Daft Punk about 2 minutes into the track when the cymbals start crashing from left and right. Some overly bright transducers make these cymbals sound painful, but not on any of my Andros. They also handle the business in that track admirably.

These are just some first impressions, I will post some more when I get a little more time to compare these more in depth. Listening was done on RME ADI-2 DAC FS, iPod Touch and Lotoo Paw S1 - all hiss free. Sadly both of my Andros hiss a bit too much on my Sony A105. I will update my signature with current gear.
Thanks for your impressions! I feel like the Andro Gold Ti's sound like they are tuned for live music playback. They make music sound like you are at an open venue concert vs in a recording studio. Such a great tuning these have.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #397 of 523
Hi.

Your review is a pretty good macro view on the differences between the OG Andromeda and SE Gold Andromeda. The only time I venture back to my OG's is when I want a slightly leaner / more 'spacious' & relaxed listen. The engagement factor is turned up on the Gold.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #398 of 523
Your review is a pretty good macro view on the differences between the OG Andromeda and SE Gold Andromeda. The only time I venture back to my OG's is when I want a slightly leaner / more 'spacious' & relaxed listen. The engagement factor is turned up on the Gold.
Yeah, I have only heard the OG Andros and none of the special additions. To be honest, the Andro TI is a new IEM entirely, like you I find the OGs a bit too lean, but I do understand why it became so popular. I bought my OG Andros used for 500 bucks and for that price the price to performance ratio is pretty sick. I find that it still beats popular monitors like Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and Softears RSV on detail retrieval and soundstage/imaging.

An interesting observation: The staging on the TIs seems to be more source dependant than the OG. I found the iPod touch 2019 really good with the OGs, not so much with the TIs. Could be some output impedance thing going on I guess.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #399 of 523
Listening was done on RME ADI-2 DAC FS, iPod Touch and Lotoo Paw S1 - all hiss free. Sadly both of my Andros hiss a bit too much on my Sony A105. I will update my signature with current gear.
Dang, newbie here has an RME ADI-2 and Lotoo feeding into CFA? Good on ya! You're going to love the AG Ti, especially out of the RME. I use my OG Andros for killer mids and clean sound, and my AG Gold for punchy bass. What gen is your iPod Touch? I've been seriously considering the 7th gen for funsies.

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #400 of 523
Nov 18, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #401 of 523
Dang, newbie here has an RME ADI-2 and Lotoo feeding into CFA? Good on ya! You're going to love the AG Ti, especially out of the RME. I use my OG Andros for killer mids and clean sound, and my AG Gold for punchy bass. What gen is your iPod Touch? I've been seriously considering the 7th gen for funsies.
Haha, I have had a lot of different gear. Rme is fantastic, love the eq with my full size cans. The 3,5 mm output is dead silent with the Andros and the digital volume control is great when using sensitive monitors.

Its the iPod touch from 2019, relatively cheap dap for streaming and works well with Apple Music up to 48kHz. Getting extra storage is really expensive though. I really hoped Apple would update the iPod this month (20 year anniversary)ā€¦.

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #402 of 523
Nov 18, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #403 of 523
Campfire Audio Onyx

Itā€™s a great IEM. Iā€™d buy it a second time.

It has the bass that I need. It isnā€™t super refined but nothing glaringly obvious.

Itā€™s isolates okay, definitely can hear more around you with the port.

It is relatively sensitive and easy to drive.

Itā€™s a warm and relaxing listen. Non-fatiguing. Has some sparkles when required but generally tends to lean warm.

Itā€™s such a satisfying listen.

I love the plastic IEM shells. They are so light and comfortable. They look great. The more driver tech I can get at a lower price I am all for. I definitely hope CFA keeps the plastic shells and spends money on drivers.

I am listening to ā€˜DARKSIDEā€™s album ā€œPsychicā€ and itā€™s so gooood. The Knife is a great option for these. Radiohead and other Modern Rock.

I love these IEMs and they make a great replacement for my CFA Comets.

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #404 of 523
Iā€™ve decided Iā€™m going to part with one of the Andromedas unfortunately, so if anyone wants either a King or Gold Ti, please feel free to PM me. :)

Edit: Andromeda king has sold

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #405 of 523
Just spent the last 5-6 hours listening to the Onyxs, and havenā€™t felt like Iā€™ve needed to take them out or take a break, which feels like a sign of a good set of headphones if you ask me. A lot of other IEMs eventually get fatiguing in one way or another to me after a couple hours and Iā€™ll want a break, but not with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back