Campfire Audio Multiverse
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #376 of 523
The Vegas are quite fun, definitely bass cannons though (which is what I was expecting) - they are only suitable for EDM for me.
How many hours do you have them? I found them surprisingly good for rock with male vocals after they started to break in (around 50 hours I started to notice changes)…

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #377 of 523
How many hours do you have them? I found them surprisingly good for rock with male vocals after they started to break in (around 50 hours I started to notice changes)…

Just an hour or two on the Vegas so perhaps they will change - still, they are by far the bassiest IEMSs I've heard. Still, there's a good amount of detail (nowhere like the Andro Gold Ti though) despite the bass, unlike my overly-warm Final E5000 for example...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #378 of 523
Just an hour or two on the Vegas so perhaps they will change - still, they are by far the bassiest IEMSs I've heard. Still, there's a good amount of detail (nowhere like the Andro Gold Ti though) despite the bass, unlike my overly-warm Final E5000 for example...

These new Andromedas are very detailed, definitely brighter than I remember my Andro SS being (I should have kept those) - I'm hoping they don't prove to be overly fatiguing to be honest... I'm now wondering how the Ara sounds and if these are actually between the standard Andromedas and that set...
Yeah they do change quite noticeable, the bass was practically suffocating the rest of the FR up to around 40 hours. I noticed the same with Atlas.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #379 of 523
Once you have some seat time, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I'm not ranfan (and don't play him on TV...well, yet...)

Onyx showed up today. First hours of listening so appropriate caveats apply. I'm A/Bing them with my Andro 2020 (and briefly with SA6s I am selling). Still trying some different tips but best so far for fit are the Finals, ML in the left ear, L in the right ear.

Significantly more bass than the Andro. On the RME I typically will add a bit of bass with the Andro. With the Onyx, flat or even a small cut seems best. I've tried a bit of a treble cut with the Onyx as well but depends on the source material. My first reference tracks are always Hiromi Trio as they have a lot going on sonically (especially for three people), and there is a bunch of nuance to be heard. The Onyx is thicker through the lows, particularly upper lows. It is to the point of almost being a bit too much if I've got a really good seal with the tips. By contrast, rock songs are much better on the bass side of things. Can get a bit of bite on the highs but depends on the source.

I briefly had the Satsuma and they just didn't do it for me. The Andro 2020 though - love them. That said, if I end up needing IEMs on a live gig (bassist) or will be knocking around, I'd rather not bring the Andro, hence wanting a less expensive set that will work. I also tried iPhone with HipDac and also just the Apple dongle. Get about what you'd expect.

So far these aren't a cheaper version of the Andromeda - they are more towards basshead V but not at the extreme. They don't resolve as well as the Andro but that isn't a fair fight. I do hear a lot of the little details in recordings that I want to hear, it just isn't as out front. They certainly have more beef than the Satsuma, more pleasing to me on that comparison (which is a fair fight).

onyx - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #380 of 523

These new Andromedas are very detailed, definitely brighter than I remember my Andro SS being (I should have kept those) - I'm hoping they don't prove to be overly fatiguing to be honest... I'm now wondering how the Ara sounds and if these are actually between the standard Andromedas and that set...
I thought I'd give an update as I am experiencing some noticeable changes in the Vega 2020 after having around 50ish hours on them. I was expecting changes because of my experiences with the Atlas which had the same driver and changed quite drastically after extended usage. The Vega 2020 has changed similarly in that it has started to sound markedly... 'Clearer'.. for lack of a better term. It is still a warm, romantic signature with thicker note weight and emphasised bass, but the bass which could be considered overwhelming to some on first listen, seems to be less domineering in the signature allowing for more air throughout. The most apparent change I have noticed is in layering which really pops out at me now and something I hadn't noticed on the Atlas. I particularly notice it in music with male vocals. The bass also sounds more dynamic but it is still very mid bass biased imo. The thicker note weight, mid bass emphasis and the emphasised male vocal range makes it really enjoyable for rock!

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #382 of 523
Any reviews or impressions on the Andromeda Ti?

I'm really enjoying mine! I made the mistake of putting them on immedately after listening to the Vegas for an hour or so which made them sound pretty bright, but then I tried the UM MEST on and they too sounded overly bright so my ears just needed to adjust/recover. I love my MEST but going back and forth the Ti actually seems to have a bit more sparkle while the bass impact is still comparable despite the all-BA setup. Vocals are oustanding on the Andromedas, better than the MEST IMO. I think these gorgeous IEMS are my favorite to date and I'm really glad I picked them up!

P.S. Listening on FiiO M11 LTD with Final E tips

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #383 of 523
I'm really enjoying mine! I made the mistake of putting them on immedately after listening to the Vegas for an hour or so which made them sound pretty bright, but then I tried the UM MEST on and they too sounded overly bright so my ears just needed to adjust/recover. I love my MEST but going back and forth the Ti actually seems to have a bit more sparkle while the bass impact is still comparable despite the all-BA setup. Vocals are oustanding on the Andromedas, better than the MEST IMO. I think these gorgeous IEMS are my favorite to date and I'm really glad I picked them up!

P.S. Listening on FiiO M11 LTD with Final E tips
I saw on your signature that you have the WM1A, how is the pairing?

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #385 of 523
Listening to Dire Straits I could hear the stage is expansive as I recalled on the Honeydew. Electric guitar strings now have better tone, kinda like the Satsuma, but more 'correct' with well-defined weight and bite up top. And the drum percussions all have really good attack and definition, playing in the background not ahead of the main mids, pretty realistic placement. And snares/cymbals are nice too, not too sharp nor splashy. I think drum instruments may be Onyx's strength

And on the James Blake track, the sub-bass is excellent, not too bassy, very well-controlled with good deep reach and natural decay like how a DD should. No sharp treble peaks to report of so far, but not too far-extending as well. Resolution is medium not too detailed/analytical, and overall pleasantly enjoyable to listen to on the go

Basically how Honeydew & Satsuma combined would sound like! :)

I just ordered a pair. @Rockwell75 mentioned that you enjoyed them.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #386 of 523
I just ordered a pair. @Rockwell75 mentioned that you enjoyed them.
Currently listening to them now:musical_note: I think you might like the soundstage on these. They're pretty spacious and wide. The mids too aren't overly analytical or detailed, so they're quite enjoyable to use on the go, or when you're doing chores or studying. The treble aren't offensive, and remain relatively clear, though not super-extended or anything. The Onyx are pretty fun to listen to, and they have good bass amount too

Tried them recently on this track :)

Just delivered 🥳

1E97A49C-87B5-40D2-8365-DBF804C5B769.jpeg
Wow, you got the first AND the last, lucky. Nice!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #388 of 523
Wow..
You might need one of these @Damz87 🎅 My ABS-shelled Onyx already got some micro scratches from putting in the mesh bags. These musashino cover might help prevent that
300606_60594.jpg
300606_60595.jpg

link

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #389 of 523
just call the scratches "patina" and it increases the used selling price

Bonus if you work in "artisnal" and "bench to ear canal"

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #390 of 523
I just got back from being out of town over the weekend, and found my Onyx’s waiting at the door. My first impressions (doing some very basic checks with some tracks i know pretty well, and then just some basic listening of whatever fits the mood) are definitely pretty favorable.

I haven’t really tried tip rolling. I did try using the sednafit crystals initially (my first time trying those tips too), but found that I really don’t like how short they are, and the nozzle being right up against my eardrum was pretty uncomfortable to me. I swapped those with some sednafit lights, which I’ve been really enjoying and will probably stick with (and might swap onto my holocenes too)

Some initial thoughts are that they have a pretty nice bass kick, nowhere near the huge kick I get from my Polaris IIs, but I think they’re also a more pleasant listening experience (I end up bumping the volume higher than I usually would with my polarises so I can hear the treble better, which ends up getting fatiguing after about an hour).

They’re also I think less detailed than the Polaris. My typical “how well do you handle dumb layers of bass” track is the Big Black Delta remix of M83’s Midnight City, and while a lot of lower quality IEMs (and even full size headphones) can end up with the bass of that track turning into a big muddy mess of bass, I can still make out most of the detail with the Onyxs. Not as well as I can with my Polarises, and certainly nowhere near the detail I get with my Holocenes, but the bass isn’t just complete mud.

Other than that, so far I have to say these are very nice and pleasant to listen to. I think these are going to become my new daily drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back