Campfire Audio Limited "Flower" Edition Solaris
May 7, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #61 of 68
RE Z1R-- Dorado has more mid-bass/lower mid presence but the upper mids are recessed behind the bass a little (whereas basically the inverse is true on the Z1R)...but I would consider Dorado warmer on the whole...though it kind of depends what you're listening to.

LX-- LX has more mid-range resolution but I find the signature much more bass heavy...in fact suffocating to listen to with some music or longer listening sessions. I'm much more conscious of the bass permeating every aspect of the sound on the LX despite the fact that it's got a more resolved midrange..
Hmmm, interesting. I think I'll give the Dorado 2020 a shot once I can sell off my MEST and U12T. It's definitely going to be a risky purchase though. I don't find the LX that bass heavy, if anything I want more rumble/punch out of the LX. Does the Dorado 2020 come off as too warm with the M8?

I'd like to add that LX is very sensitive to sources and cables. For instance, I had much the same experience as @Rockwell75 with the Kann Cube and it wasn't until I had gotten a more neutral / brighter source in the SE200, and now In the Hugo 2 that the LX comes across as very neutral actually (until you prod the bass with a stick). With the Kann Cube which has accentuated bass and a more natural signature, bass seemed to permeate all music and notes were much thicker, making for much more of a niche listen. I think @Skullar can attest to this after hearing the LX with the SE200... it reacts quite differently to various sources.
Maybe, it's better if I get another source + cable rather another IEM? I do currently have DX300, M8, and RME ADI 2 DAC for IEM, but not sure if it's worth getting something like the SE200 when having these. Do you have recommendations for cables to pair with the LX? Preferably reasonably priced lol. I will wait till audio shows to test out the really nice cables.

May 7, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #62 of 68
Hmmm, interesting. I think I'll give the Dorado 2020 a shot once I can sell off my MEST and U12T. It's definitely going to be a risky purchase though. I don't find the LX that bass heavy, if anything I want more rumble/punch out of the LX. Does the Dorado 2020 come off as too warm with the M8?

I don't think so. Just to be clear-- I don't think the sound of the Dorado is for everyone and there are many who find it way too bassy. I don't personally and can't get enough of it. YMMV etc.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #63 of 68
1629572818228.png

Double special delivery day!

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #65 of 68
Very nice sir! I love the Flower. It’s so much fun to listen to.

I am loving them so far. Basically the OG Solaris in the 2020 package.

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #66 of 68
I am loving them so far. Basically the OG Solaris in the 2020 package.
Congrats Sebastien.
Could you tell me the sound profile (Is it V shaped with exceptional clarity) between UM MEST II and the Solaris Flower version of 2020?
I have the 2020 Solaris for almost a year and want to get the UM MEST II. However, I don't know whether these two are different enough in terms of sound profile.
I am using an Astell and Kern SE200 DAP. Thanks.

Dec 4, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #68 of 68
Tips are a matter of preference. The included Final Type E tips are one of the best tips out there. The Campfire foams are also excellent. Wide bore tips are good in practice, but I'm not a fan of the wide-bore tips that Campfire uses. I'm using the large Type E, but I'll probably experiment with the ML and M for different insertion depths.

Here are some other great tips: Symbio W, Sedna Earfit Xelastec (detail enhancing, secure as foam), JVC Spiral Dots. For foams I like Dekoni Mercury, but I'm more into silicone tips for feel and convenience. Spinfit also make good tips, including the best bi-flange tips, but most of the the I prefer Final Type E and Xelastecs on my IEMs.

Wide bore tips can enhance sound stage, but may also reduce definition.

Many people swear by Comply foam, but I find that they warm up the sound too much for me and suppress detail--I only consider them with very bright or very dry IEMs. The included Campfire foams have nearly no tuning effect, and Dekoni Mercury are similar in that they don't change IEM sound much, but they use a denser, springier foam that some may not find as comfy as Campfire foam or Comply.

For the Solaris LE, SE, and OG many folks find the shell size difficult. A custom eartip can solve this. Snugs in the UK can make a custom tip. Custom Art does this out of Poland, and I think Lear does this out of Hong Kong. I think all of them do worldwide service. I don't think you have to send your IEM to Custom Art or Snugs, but you will need to get impressions from an audiologist and send those. Snugs works with digital scans, so you may not need to send physical impressions, which saves on shipping if you go to audiologist who makes digital scans. I'm pretty sure that Lear and Custom Art need the physical impressions. If getting impressions, get them with an open mouth, with a bite holder in. This insures you can talk and eat comfortably with your customs in. Make sure your audiologist goes to the second bend. Ideally, go to an audiologist familiar with custom in-ear monitors.

In short, changing tips is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to do some sonic fine-tuning or to improve fit. I absolutely recommend doing it. Start with the ones in the box as they are some of the best silicone and foam tips out there.
Very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back