Campfire Audio Limited "Flower" Edition Solaris
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #31 of 68
anybody have advice on which tips to use? This is only second iem and curious if I should even bother changing them much.
Tips are a matter of preference. The included Final Type E tips are one of the best tips out there. The Campfire foams are also excellent. Wide bore tips are good in practice, but I'm not a fan of the wide-bore tips that Campfire uses. I'm using the large Type E, but I'll probably experiment with the ML and M for different insertion depths.

Here are some other great tips: Symbio W, Sedna Earfit Xelastec (detail enhancing, secure as foam), JVC Spiral Dots. For foams I like Dekoni Mercury, but I'm more into silicone tips for feel and convenience. Spinfit also make good tips, including the best bi-flange tips, but most of the the I prefer Final Type E and Xelastecs on my IEMs.

Wide bore tips can enhance sound stage, but may also reduce definition.

Many people swear by Comply foam, but I find that they warm up the sound too much for me and suppress detail--I only consider them with very bright or very dry IEMs. The included Campfire foams have nearly no tuning effect, and Dekoni Mercury are similar in that they don't change IEM sound much, but they use a denser, springier foam that some may not find as comfy as Campfire foam or Comply.

For the Solaris LE, SE, and OG many folks find the shell size difficult. A custom eartip can solve this. Snugs in the UK can make a custom tip. Custom Art does this out of Poland, and I think Lear does this out of Hong Kong. I think all of them do worldwide service. I don't think you have to send your IEM to Custom Art or Snugs, but you will need to get impressions from an audiologist and send those. Snugs works with digital scans, so you may not need to send physical impressions, which saves on shipping if you go to audiologist who makes digital scans. I'm pretty sure that Lear and Custom Art need the physical impressions. If getting impressions, get them with an open mouth, with a bite holder in. This insures you can talk and eat comfortably with your customs in. Make sure your audiologist goes to the second bend. Ideally, go to an audiologist familiar with custom in-ear monitors.

In short, changing tips is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to do some sonic fine-tuning or to improve fit. I absolutely recommend doing it. Start with the ones in the box as they are some of the best silicone and foam tips out there.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #32 of 68
Tips are a matter of preference. The included Final Type E tips are one of the best tips out there. The Campfire foams are also excellent. Wide bore tips are good in practice, but I'm not a fan of the wide-bore tips that Campfire uses. I'm using the large Type E, but I'll probably experiment with the ML and M for different insertion depths.

Here are some other great tips: Symbio W, Sedna Earfit Xelastec (detail enhancing, secure as foam), JVC Spiral Dots. For foams I like Dekoni Mercury, but I'm more into silicone tips for feel and convenience. Spinfit also make good tips, including the best bi-flange tips, but most of the the I prefer Final Type E and Xelastecs on my IEMs.

Wide bore tips can enhance sound stage, but may also reduce definition.

Many people swear by Comply foam, but I find that they warm up the sound too much for me and suppress detail--I only consider them with very bright or very dry IEMs. The included Campfire foams have nearly no tuning effect, and Dekoni Mercury are similar in that they don't change IEM sound much, but they use a denser, springier foam that some may not find as comfy as Campfire foam or Comply.

For the Solaris LE, SE, and OG many folks find the shell size difficult. A custom eartip can solve this. Snugs in the UK can make a custom tip. Custom Art does this out of Poland, and I think Lear does this out of Hong Kong. I think all of them do worldwide service. I don't think you have to send your IEM to Custom Art or Snugs, but you will need to get impressions from an audiologist and send those. Snugs works with digital scans, so you may not need to send physical impressions, which saves on shipping if you go to audiologist who makes digital scans. I'm pretty sure that Lear and Custom Art need the physical impressions. If getting impressions, get them with an open mouth, with a bite holder in. This insures you can talk and eat comfortably with your customs in. Make sure your audiologist goes to the second bend. Ideally, go to an audiologist familiar with custom in-ear monitors.

In short, changing tips is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to do some sonic fine-tuning or to improve fit. I absolutely recommend doing it. Start with the ones in the box as they are some of the best silicone and foam tips out there.
I did some tip rolling last night. Sound wise the Final Type E were the best in detail, I found the foam tips lost some detail but had better bass. The Final Type E in small were a little tough on my ears compared to the foam. Anything that might help with that but keep the detail?

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #33 of 68
I did some tip rolling last night. Sound wise the Final Type E were the best in detail, I found the foam tips lost some detail but had better bass. The Final Type E in small were a little tough on my ears compared to the foam. Anything that might help with that but keep the detail?
Spinfit CP145's.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #34 of 68
I got my Flower LE two weeks ago and all I can is I’m in love. I didn’t know IEMs could sound this full and good. I previously only had AirPods and KXXS. But I’m thoroughly enjoying these.

The Pilot MQA dac is killer. I want this device for all of my headphones.

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #35 of 68
I am enjoying mine. They sound very good with all of the DAPs I've tried them with,, seem to be genre-indifferent, and are very "Ken-herent". I'm usually a 'the one' guy seeking the best and sticking with it. But, I have The OG, Flower, Andromeda Gold, and Vega 2020.... They are all wonderful, and I am not gonna let any of them go. I really vibe with Ken's iems. They get the music right-what more is there?

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #36 of 68
I am enjoying mine. They sound very good with all of the DAPs I've tried them with,, seem to be genre-indifferent, and are very "Ken-herent". I'm usually a 'the one' guy seeking the best and sticking with it. But, I have The OG, Flower, Andromeda Gold, and Vega 2020.... They are all wonderful, and I am not gonna let any of them go. I really vibe with Ken's iems. They get the music right-what more is there?

How does the LE compare to the OG? (I should have a Dorado 2020 in my hands in a few hours...can't wait.)

Mar 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #37 of 68
How does the LE compare to the OG? (I should have a Dorado 2020 in my hands in a few hours...can't wait.)
Honestly, I haven't done the comparison yet. I've been focusing on the music, and doing A-B testing gets in the way. I am also conservative regarding plugging and unplugging cables from iems, whether 2-pin or mmcx--not because I think they are using poor connecotrs, but simply beacuse they can be overworked-and I am not in a position to fix them myself.

All that said, warm-up is crucial, so you have to play them for at least 10-15 minutes (more for DAPs) to get them to their 'happy place' Many folks think that you just adjust to the new sound when you switch gear-I think it is likely that the gear changes as it reaches its optimal operating temperature......

How's that for a really long "no, not yet" ?

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 68
Hi there! I'll share my comparison review here, might be helpful for somebody :)

dscf6281.jpg

Introduction​

Do you remember the time when the Andromeda by Campfire Audio was launched? Well, to say it was hyped would have been an understatement. However, it’s a good thing – I always want to praise the thing that deserves it, and the original Andromeda was really something back then. Let me just tell you, that I’ve owned it 4 times in my life…couldn’t have lived without them for a longer while apparently.

It’s not a review of the Andromeda though, so why did I mention it? Well, here’s the thing. After such a successful product you have to think about…its successor. How could you take an IEM that is vastly regarded as one of the very best in the world, and improve it?

That’s how the Solaris has been born. It had its flaws in terms of the big shells etc, but what’s most important – it was indeed sonically better than the Andromeda.

dscf6302.jpg

It wasn’t all double rainbow though, as the huge shells were a true deal-breakers for many, even though they loved the way those sound. And they indeed sounded…spectacular, big and bold, like a muscle car, but refined.

Luckily, Campfire Audio has been known for their ability to listen to the community and actually doing something about it – so, it was the time for the Solaris 2020.

From the moment it has been announced, there was a thing that grabbed everyone’s attention. The thing, that was the most important for everybody – Solaris 2020 are 20% smaller than the OG Solaris. At first, I was like – 20%? That’s nothing! Instead of being HUGE, they’ll be just…very big, right? Nope.

dscf6291.jpg

Differences​

The 20% difference is quite big in this situation – while the OG/LE Solaris is huge, but not really uncomfortable for me personally, the 2020 is a joy to use, as it fits my ears perfectly. No issues, no fatigue, I can rock those for hours without a second thought.

The second difference between the two is hard to miss – the design. You could miss this flashy gold from the OG version, but luckily both new iterations of the Solaris are black, with the 2020 version being smooth, and the LE rocking this floral theme on the faceplate. It’s completely up to the subjective taste – I’m digging the 2020, this smooth, black and stealthy faceplate really gets me, and it’s fantastic with the camera. However, both are TOTL in terms of build quality and craftsmanship – give me a single IEM better made on the market, I’ll wait.

There are also some aspects that those two share, for example, the provided cable and the drivers are the same. Basically, Campfire Audio calls the Solaris LE as the “Classic Size + Updated Size”. What does that mean? The internal acoustic chamber is borrowed from the original Solaris, and the drivers themselves are being taken from the 2020 version. This is what Campfire Audio is calling “The best of both worlds”, taking the strongest points (at least technically) from the two, and merging them into the new, extraordinary edition of the Solaris, called the Solaris LE.

dscf6372.jpg

Now into the third difference, and the one that’ll probably interest you the most – the sound. I don’t want to make it a super fancy-schmancy 5000 words comparison, since those two are quite similar, but they do differ in some regards.

Let’s start with the emotions – both LE and 2020 are big and open sounding, and the biggest difference is in their timbre. Solaris LE is probably the best Solaris ever done – it offers the biggest sense of resolution, separation and the size of its soundstage is absolutely ridiculous. On the other hand, while the 2020 isn’t far behind when it comes to resolution and soundstage, it offers a much more moist, saturated, and lush midrange, that’s full of emotions.

The differences continue to show up the more you listen to both of them side by side. It’s not a huge difference, these two do sound like two iterations of one idea, differently executed. Luckily, it is really hard to choose the winner, as the choice would depend on the personal taste and music choices of the potential customer.

dscf6336s.jpg

Which one should you choose?​

Well, even though both the LE and 2020 are brilliant and the differences between them are not that huge, I believe the choice is quite simple. Nonetheless, I strongly recommend listening to both before making the decision, as I’m just a reviewer and my thoughts may vary from what you’ll hear. Anyway, here’s my point of view:

Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 – Choose them, if you like a midrange that is thick and lush. That’s the biggest and most noticeable difference between the two. 2020’s overall performance is calmer, fuller, and more analog than the one you’ll find in the LE. While the separation is weaker in very busy tracks (Sylosis – After Lifeless Years for example) in the 2020, it sounds fuller and dirtier, which may be a good thing in metal tracks. Also, for me the vocals are much more enjoyable on the 2020, providing more body and that beautiful, analog lushness.

Campfire Audio Solaris LE – Choose them, if you’re into a leaner, cleaner, and more accurate sound – simple as that. While not as charming and analog-sounding as the 2020, the LE is actually superior in terms of raw technical performance. Slightly better imaging, bigger soundstage, and the timbre that is more neutral focused. I’d say that both of them are pretty good when it comes to handling every music genre just about right, but the LE definitely handles classical and electronic music better than the 2020. At the same time, everything with vocal sounds more enjoyable and intimate on the 2020, but I wouldn’t call it “better” in terms of technical performance.

You see, audio is all about preferences and different tastes. This comparison is a great example actually. Campfire Audio Solaris LE is a better sounding IEM of the two, with slightly better detail, soundstage and resolution. So it’s a simple choice, right? Well, not really, as my hand goes for the 2020. Am I a crazy man, choosing an objectively worse sounding IEM? Not really, as it has its own strengths and perks that could have more value for me than just the raw technical aspects.
So, even though I can hear slightly more things with the LE, I prefer to get lost in Mariusz Duda’s or Stevie Nick’s vocals on the Solaris 2020, as this is (IMO) the most important thing in audio – the emotions, you cannot fake them.

dscf6403.jpg

Conclusion​

To summarize – I recommend both the Solaris 2020 and Solaris LE, and the choice between them should come down to your personal preferences. Regardless of which one you’ll end up getting, one thing is sure – you’re getting a marvelously designed, built, and sounding IEM that’ll make your music come to life. Nicely done.

To sink deeper into the two, I invite you to our reviews of both the Solaris 2020 and Solaris LE here:

Solaris 2020

Solaris LE

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #39 of 68
How would you compare the Solaris LE and Andromeda Gold (or Andromeda 2020 if you have it)?

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #40 of 68
How would you compare the Solaris LE and Andromeda Gold (or Andromeda 2020 if you have it)?
Hi! I know your question was for fzman, but as I have all three IEMs... :)

First of all: the Solarises and Andromedas are not "radically" different, meaning that someone with untrained ears who would give a Solaris and an Andromeda a quick listen would probably say that they sound pretty much the same. Indeed, the definition, the depth, the overall sound quality is more or less at the same level.

However, for more trained ears / longer listening sessions, the "main" difference IMO would be the difference between the DD (Solaris) and BA (Andromeda) bass (I - as seem to do most people - prefer the DD bass). Also, the Andromeda is a little bit "smoother" overall (less spikes in the medium and higher frequency ranges), which certain people seem to find more comfortable... On the other hand, the Solaris has this specific "holographic" thing (that (in my view) also has to do with these spikes) that I would say makes it more impressive than the Andromeda...

The Andromeda Gold is a little bit different - the bass is more powerful, the sound is a little bit more "V" shaped, it's really a fun IEM to listen to.

If I had to keep only one, that would be the Solaris (LE or SE), because of the DD bass and this "holographic" thing that it has.

Hope that helps!

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #41 of 68
I apologize for not replying sooner. I have not made a direct comparison of the OG and the Flower versions, but recent listening tells me they are different, although the OG has a lot more hours on it. From memory, I would say that the OG is a bit more V-shaped, the Flower more linear. As others have (correctly) said, the Campfire iems share a strong family resemblance in the approach they take to presenting the music. While I tend to, and try to be a 'the one' person, i.e., to pick the best one, and stick with it and only it, I could easily see owning and enjoying several Campfire iems, and almost randomly switching between them. Whether true or not, I feel like they are all voiced to provide an authentic, realistic, timbrally correct presentation of acoustic instruments in a real acoustic space. Switching from Andromeda Gold to Vega (2020) to Solaris X or Y, is like looking out the same window, but at a slightly different angle. Going from Vega to Andro is more like going from the first floor window to the upstairs window, but facing in the same direction. Other iems are more like looking out the side or back window, same neighborhood/climate/region, but from a differrent perspective, but not so far different as the "Blind Men and the Elephant"

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #42 of 68
I apologize for not replying sooner. I have not made a direct comparison of the OG and the Flower versions, but recent listening tells me they are different, although the OG has a lot more hours on it. From memory, I would say that the OG is a bit more V-shaped, the Flower more linear. As others have (correctly) said, the Campfire iems share a strong family resemblance in the approach they take to presenting the music. While I tend to, and try to be a 'the one' person, i.e., to pick the best one, and stick with it and only it, I could easily see owning and enjoying several Campfire iems, and almost randomly switching between them. Whether true or not, I feel like they are all voiced to provide an authentic, realistic, timbrally correct presentation of acoustic instruments in a real acoustic space. Switching from Andromeda Gold to Vega (2020) to Solaris X or Y, is like looking out the same window, but at a slightly different angle. Going from Vega to Andro is more like going from the first floor window to the upstairs window, but facing in the same direction. Other iems are more like looking out the side or back window, same neighborhood/climate/region, but from a differrent perspective, but not so far different as the "Blind Men and the Elephant"
Couldn't agree more! (I own the Andromeda 2020, Andromeda Gold, Solaris (original), Solaris (SE), Solaris 2020 and Solaris (LE)...)

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #43 of 68
Couldn't agree more! (I own the Andromeda 2020, Andromeda Gold, Solaris (original), Solaris (SE), Solaris 2020 and Solaris (LE)...)

What a collection!

May 1, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #44 of 68
@Raf2411 @fzman Thank you both for the responses! I would consider myself a experienced ear for sure, but not sure I'd say trained like I can identify specific frequency ranges as well as others. I am pretty particular how I like my sound, so I have been on the hunt.

So far, from what I have heard from Campfire Audio is I really enjoy the Andromeda 2019/2020/S and Vega (Original). but haven't heard the other new 2020 variants and Solaris line. I don't like the Atlas since I seem to not prefer a "warm" sound so I imagine I probably won't like the Vega 2020 and maybe Dorado 2020. I gravitate towards a warm neutral or warm neutral + as much bass boost as possible. The ones I liked were really musically engaging in the right ways to me, but I am looking for an upgrade/side-grade so I am considering the Solaris line or Andromeda Gold or different brand. Only thing is Solaris OG from what I have heard shines best with acoustic type music and I don't mainly listen to acoustic type music. I mainly listen to pop, vocals, edm, electronic, rap, sometimes instrumentals. Would you say any of the Solaris line would do well with that especially the Solaris LE or Solaris 2020? Would you consider them musically engaging like an Andromeda or more relaxing?

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #45 of 68
@Raf2411 @fzman Thank you both for the responses! I would consider myself a experienced ear for sure, but not sure I'd say trained like I can identify specific frequency ranges as well as others. I am pretty particular how I like my sound, so I have been on the hunt.

So far, from what I have heard from Campfire Audio is I really enjoy the Andromeda 2019/2020/S and Vega (Original). but haven't heard the other new 2020 variants and Solaris line. I don't like the Atlas since I seem to not prefer a "warm" sound so I imagine I probably won't like the Vega 2020 and maybe Dorado 2020. I gravitate towards a warm neutral or warm neutral + as much bass boost as possible. The ones I liked were really musically engaging in the right ways to me, but I am looking for an upgrade/side-grade so I am considering the Solaris line or Andromeda Gold or different brand. Only thing is Solaris OG from what I have heard shines best with acoustic type music and I don't mainly listen to acoustic type music. I mainly listen to pop, vocals, edm, electronic, rap, sometimes instrumentals. Would you say any of the Solaris line would do well with that especially the Solaris LE or Solaris 2020? Would you consider them musically engaging like an Andromeda or more relaxing?
I listen to lots of different genres: blues-rock, jazz (from bebop to the most modern jazz), soul, pop, classic rock, prog rock, heavy metal, stoner, punk rock, instrumental music... I do not listen to EDM (at all), and only rarely to rap, however - so if those genres are what you listen to most of the time, maybe my advice will not help you a lot!

What I can say is that Solaris (OG / SE / 2020 / LE) work very well with all the genres of music that I listen to - there is no genre for which I would "avoid" Solaris. When listening to certain genres, and depending on what part of the frequency range (usually: on what instrument) I want to "put the focus on", I might play a little bit with the DAP's equalizer (Cowon Plenues are incredibly great in this respect), and I always manage to reach a very good result...

I would say that Solaris are engaging like an Andromeda (but not as engaging as Sony's IER-Z1R - as I see that you had those too).

One important thing to consider with Solaris is actually the fit - the big shell (on the OG / SE and LE) does not fit every ear. (However, I have to say that when I first got the Solaris OG (2 years ago), I couldn't listen to them for more than 1 / 1,5 hours straight, but that I think that I kind of got used to the feel, and that now, I can keep them in my ears for at least 3 to 4 hours without any problem!)

If you have the possibility, the best would certainly be to get to try them for a few hours and see how the shell works for you...

Of course, the Solaris 2020's smaller shell may be a good solution in this respect, but I have to say that I find the 2020's to be just a little bit inferior to the SE / LE and even to the OG.

Now, if you are a fan of the Andromeda 2020 (and that you already know that they fit your ears perfectly), you could also go with the Andromeda Gold, as they are still in the same "family" as the Andromeda OG but are (in my view) different enough to justify having both (not everyone may agree though)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back