Campfire Audio IO
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #497 of 498
You might not have noticed from my comments that I grew to dislike the IO on my own accord after I got a set of IEM that sounded more realistic to my ear. I want realistic tonality not a wonky tonality on vocals just to have something quirky.

I did worry about my own sonic preferences that is why I threw them in the garbage.

I have no interest in a set that, in the case of the IO, could only be used with electronic music since there were no vocals to sound wonky.

I am glad they work for you, this seems to be the polarising nature I talked about. You like them, I hated them … no drama.
I understand the IO is not an "all rounder" for most standards. I just like all sorts of stuff-as a violinist, know what "natural" sounds like, and love my HD600s, but I have allowed myself to enjoy many "unnatural" frequency responses as well! Sorry for missing out the part you came to hate the IOs on your own-most people piled on the IEM without even listening to it, based on the esteemed opinion of "proper" audiophiles. I am not proper at all, and will like what I like (just like you do in seeking a more natural sound.) My apologies, as I did not intend to attack you or your earphone preferences. Best wishes.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #498 of 498
I have and love the Atlas. Both very different and viable. They both do treble well, but very differently. Atlas, IMHO, should have never gone out of retail production (I think Drop still sells them), it is too good at its specialty, and I'm not certain it has been properly replaced from what I have seen in graphs about the other bassy Campfire Audio IEMs (I have another bassy Campfire IEM, the Mammoth, with the nicer upper mids, but the Atlas is subjectively superior to *me*, especially because of the much nicer highs-*seems* to me the other options are "spiky" but without air, though I admit I haven't personally heard the Vega, Vega 2020, Dorado, Dorado II, Cascara, etc. Love that the Atlas has lots of resolution and air despite being a bass-focused IEM.) IO does have a treble that extends slightly better, but does have some "dangerous" spikes if you are treble-sensitive, and the bass being less energetic can make it even more apparent.

The IO bass is improved with different cables and tips, though it will certainly never be an Atlas! The most problematic IO feature for a "normal only" individual would be the mid peak and subsequent dip, but even that is ameliorated via tips and *some* cable switching. I also have a higher tolerance for lovely treble extension than most, and it is very possible my ear canals hear differently than many others-or that simply I prefer treble energy. However I admit the mids are different enough than many won't adapt to the IO's own stock tonality, and if you had to choose *between* the IO and Atlas, it is not a difficult choice (trading up to the Atlas seems like a good idea, I just do not easily get rid of my IEMs! Also enjoy the IO's "uniqueness"-or "wonkiness" if you will.)

Apologies if I seem to be defending the "indefensible"-the IOs were not my first good (or "bad") IEM, I just simply enjoyed them then and now because of their strengths, never focusing on what wasn't their forte. Even after many other excellent headphones/earphones in my collection, I cannot come to hate them, even if I am supposed to if "I know audio" or know "what's better for me"-which evidently I don't. They were my introduction to Campfire Audio, though, and I would not have ever tried the Jupiter (I know it's hated on too!), Andromeda S, and Atlas were not for the humble IO. Not you of course, but it's cool to hate on this company, and I won't be part of that silly "movement." Enjoy what you do, let others listen what they will-no need for a cult-like hate on the different.

(No offense meant at all-the Atlas is a great IEM, IMHO.)
Appreciate your insight and impressions. I think, for the most part, you’re pretty accurate about the IO.
Going forward I plan to keep the Atlas and never sell them. I feel they’re unique enough where I never get bored of them. I will buy a complementary pair of good quality IEMS someday soon. For now though, The Atlas is my workhorse. I use it more than anything else cause I’m a typical slave to the grind. I work a lot and at this point it can’t be avoided. My Atlas has kept me from going insane. I actually wrote to Campfire Audio (ALO) and thanked them for making such a great IEM.
Lastly. To answer your question. Drop was selling the Atlas at $500 USD a few months back but now they are sold out.
I’m sure there many upon many suitable successors to the Atlas’s tuning. The market is so saturated with IEM companies. I can’t keep up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back