Campfire Audio IO
May 7, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #481 of 498
I've been testing the IO for about half the day and they're fine so far. There is a hint of recessed mids but I'm not getting the wild "the mids are broken" sound I kept reading about. I also listened to a pair of iems that I know have recessed mids(cough cough TF10 cough) and this is nowhere near as bad. The low end is a boring let down but it takes to EQ really well and I can get a decent rumble out of them without murdering the mids. Not quite DD bass but close enough. Once I get through tip rolling and cable rolling over the next week I'll do a review.

May 7, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #482 of 498
With spinfit cp145 and a cable change I no longer have mids sounding further away and now they're normal in distance and sound on the same level as the instruments in the songs I'm currently listening to. I would A/B test the stock cable and my null 4.4 cable but I've broken mmcx connectors(on the cables themselves) doing that so I'll just use this lune cable for review. Plus I can't stand light and slim cables. I already had to fight the stock cable in an attempt to untangle it.

May 7, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #483 of 498
C05A9660-121C-4B53-9DAF-9595401749FC.jpeg

Nice post.

i have been revisiting this iem in the last week also. (Lockdown time - variety is king).

I like the fit very much and the color. I use the final audio tips - after experimenting with a few.
There were some gains using the Super Litz cable - but i found the stock cable sufficient.
I find the CA IO and Hidizs AP80 a good on the go budget rig for a quick out and about or exercising. etc

D9DE1B50-A9F6-416E-8C0F-BA44A1EF1511.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #485 of 498
Nov 21, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #487 of 498
I bought the Campfire Audio IOs having read all the reviews and watched all the videos. Really. All of them.
At the end of it all I was intrigued enough to put down the £249 (£50 off @ Hifonix in the UK) and am very happy I did.

The quality of the entire package is superb!
From the packaging itself to the cable; the build of the IEMs; the quantity and quality of the supplied tips to the equally quality case and cleaning brush - you really would be hard pressed to find anything better.
It is a refreshing alternative to the so-called ChiFi offerings.
I think Campfire Audio IO sound great with everything I have listened to. They enhance my listening pleasure in all the music I like to experience;
From King Crimson to Led Zeppelin to John Coltrane to Frank Zappa; rock; jazz; metal... Dylan, Drake and Mitchell. I enjoy it all with these IEMs.

I can’t say I have wasted much time trying to find hazy music or grainy, unnatural vocals.
However, for me at least, they were non existent.
As for recessed whatever or strange frequencies in any direction...

Once I had settled on the correct tips, these IEMs helped in making the music sound as wonderful as I know it is. And surprisingly, perhaps, this is what I bought them for - listening to music.

The source is obviously of paramount importance, as is the quality of the recorded music.

Porta Fi is absolutely correct when he said you can’t trust reviews/reviewers - you need to hear for yourself. And it is equally important to remember that we all hear things differently.

You should always question the core credibility of reviewers and the actual motive behind reviews.

Even more so when involving a certain Australian native bird... perhaps.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #488 of 498
I got the IOs today. For the price point they really do well; the packaging is awesome and overall it feels like such a well thought-out product. They’re great with my FiiO UT-WS3s. They do have some flaws and I don’t think they’re for everyone, but it was such a tough choice for me between FiiO’s FA7, FA9, or the IOs - especially running exclusively Bluetooth. Overall I think they’re very punchy and fun sounding, they’re definitely not a reference or critical listening headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #490 of 498
Just scored a pair of used Campfire IO. Paired it with my Cayin N6ii. Set it to AB mode. And OMG. Do these IEMS shine. Clear. Fast. Smooth. Detailed. Love.
They are a bit bright for my tastes, but for their price point the I/O does very well with some treble aspects. Cymbal crashes do sound quite divine.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #491 of 498
I was happy with the IO as my first IEM a few years ago having bought them without reading anything about them or listening to them beforehand. That was until I heard other sets and then could not get past the odd tonality of them.

After not being able to sell them, I pulled the cable off them to keep as a spare and literally threw them in the rubbish as I simply had no use for them and had no interest in listening with them. They responded well to EQ but having to adjust some frequency ranges by 12 bd or so to make them listenable didn't interest me as EQ is not convenient for my listening set up.

It was at some point after I became aware of the odd tonality that I read some comments online and found out that many people hear them the same, it was a pity because they are well made, comfortable, look good and come nicely packaged and accessorized but ultimately that was not enough.

I can only imagine that some peoples ear anatomy is such that the IO literally sound different to them because I can't understand how anybody could use them in rotation with other sets and not hate the tonality, I can only assume that the wonky tonality is not there for everyone.

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #492 of 498
I was happy with the IO as my first IEM a few years ago having bought them without reading anything about them or listening to them beforehand. That was until I heard other sets and then could not get past the odd tonality of them.

After not being able to sell them, I pulled the cable off them to keep as a spare and literally threw them in the rubbish as I simply had no use for them and had no interest in listening with them. They responded well to EQ but having to adjust some frequency ranges by 12 bd or so to make them listenable didn't interest me as EQ is not convenient for my listening set up.

It was at some point after I became aware of the odd tonality that I read some comments online and found out that many people hear them the same, it was a pity because they are well made, comfortable, look good and come nicely packaged and accessorized but ultimately that was not enough.

I can only imagine that some peoples ear anatomy is such that the IO literally sound different to them because I can't understand how anybody could use them in rotation with other sets and not hate the tonality, I can only assume that the wonky tonality is not there for everyone.
I find them fun to listen to, even if do not use them all the time-but that can be said as well of *many* "better tuned" headphones and earphones I have. I do use them more than some that I possess that are more "normal."

It honestly doesn't matter how others hear stuff-worry about your own sonic preferences. If you came to love strict neutrality, or a specific target by a well-known reviewer or two (or three, etc.), then the IO won't be your thing. For instance I have many "standards" I truly love, but also many "different" ones such as this. But you know, even the Andromeda is not "normal" whatsoever-yes I use it more than the IO myself-in my case, the Andromeda S-but the IO sounds has its own unique and enjoyable tonality (yes, I have "bad" ears and probably know nothing about music, much less proper tuning, etc., if you listen to the haters.)

Of course, there are different levels of deviation from "normal", and the IO represents a very extreme example. But what if someone has use for that "wrong" tonality? Why must humans hate that which is so different from themselves? I have thus decided that I cannot be part of "the audiophile community"-much like in real life, actually-but rather buy and enjoy products based on what only I like, rather than what I am supposed to enjoy as a "proper" audio enthusiast. Life is too short to live according to other individuals' standards. Yes, the "normal" is a nice guide, and I have many beloved standards I *do greatly love and use.* But because I love certain frequencies that usually get frowned upon by the "community", I have learned that is there is much to love out there, if you open your ears and mind to alternative ways to enjoy the music you love-of which the IO is a prime example.

TL;DR It may not be for you, but some folks do hear differently, as well may just be open to non-standard tunings. So "wrong" may be objective to perhaps even most of you, but to a few of us, audio "right and wrong" is not so set in stone. Listen and let listen.

There are some Campfire Audio products that seem not tailored to me, and more to others. That is OK. Glad they are still doing whatever they want, rather than just playing "proper" copycat tuning as seems to be the trend, with a bit more or less bass, shoutiness, air, etc. I do love my normal, but definitely have room for the enjoyable weird (which of course does not mean you have to.)

Peace, replying to an old reply, and do not mean conflict at all. Love your music through the earphones you love.

(I bought an Ares II cable a few years back to try on another IEM, and ended up marrying it to my humble IOs, as it greatly enhanced what they do best, and patched up many of its weaknesses. Sounds fine as it is-to me!-but the cable made a big difference; however, I haven't tried the Maestro or Ares S on it. Crystal ear tips worked also quite well, though that is even more subjective due to our ear differences and own preferences.)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #493 of 498
I find them fun to listen to, even if do not use them all the time-but that can be said as well of *many* "better tuned" headphones and earphones I have. I do use them more than some that I possess that are more "normal."

It honestly doesn't matter how others hear stuff-worry about your own sonic preferences. If you came to love strict neutrality, or a specific target by a well-known reviewer or two (or three, etc.), then the IO won't be your thing. For instance I have many "standards" I truly love, but also many "different" ones such as this. But you know, even the Andromeda is not "normal" whatsoever-yes I use it more than the IO myself-in my case, the Andromeda S-but the IO sounds has its own unique and enjoyable tonality (yes, I have "bad" ears and probably know nothing about music, much less proper tuning, etc., if you listen to the haters.)

Of course, there are different levels of deviation from "normal", and the IO represents a very extreme example. But what if someone has use for that "wrong" tonality? Why must humans hate that which is so different from themselves? I have thus decided that I cannot be part of "the audiophile community"-much like in real life, actually-but rather buy and enjoy products based on what only I like, rather than what I am supposed to enjoy as a "proper" audio enthusiast. Life is too short to live according to other individuals' standards. Yes, the "normal" is a nice guide, and I have many beloved standards I *do greatly love and use.* But because I love certain frequencies that usually get frowned upon by the "community", I have learned that is there is much to love out there, if you open your ears and mind to alternative ways to enjoy the music you love-of which the IO is a prime example.

TL;DR It may not be for you, but some folks do hear differently, as well may just be open to non-standard tunings. So "wrong" may be objective to perhaps even most of you, but to a few of us, audio "right and wrong" is not so set in stone. Listen and let listen.

There are some Campfire Audio products that seem not tailored to me, and more to others. That is OK. Glad they are still doing whatever they want, rather than just playing "proper" copycat tuning as seems to be the trend, with a bit more or less bass, shoutiness, air, etc. I do love my normal, but definitely have room for the enjoyable weird (which of course does not mean you have to.)

Peace, replying to an old reply, and do not mean conflict at all. Love your music through the earphones you love.

(I bought an Ares II cable a few years back to try on another IEM, and ended up marrying it to my humble IOs, as it greatly enhanced what they do best, and patched up many of its weaknesses. Sounds fine as it is-to me!-but the cable made a big difference; however, I haven't tried the Maestro or Ares S on it. Crystal ear tips worked also quite well, though that is even more subjective due to our ear differences and own preferences.)

You might not have noticed from my comments that I grew to dislike the IO on my own accord after I got a set of IEM that sounded more realistic to my ear. I want realistic tonality not a wonky tonality on vocals just to have something quirky.

I did worry about my own sonic preferences that is why I threw them in the garbage.

I have no interest in a set that, in the case of the IO, could only be used with electronic music since there were no vocals to sound wonky.

I am glad they work for you, this seems to be the polarising nature I talked about. You like them, I hated them … no drama.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #494 of 498
I just found the IO too bright and fatiguing. Some aspects of the treble were pretty good, but as a whole I couldn’t handle it for long enough listening periods. I ended up selling them and traded for the CFA ATLAS. That was a damn good decision on my part. More expensive. Yes. However the amount of enjoyment I get out of the Atlas is insane. I use them for 2 hrs every day to and from work commuting. And another thing. Bass. IO is way too lean for my tastes. Atlas is a punchy mid bass thunder dome. Lol.
We all like what we like.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #495 of 498
I just found the IO too bright and fatiguing. Some aspects of the treble were pretty good, but as a whole I couldn’t handle it for long enough listening periods. I ended up selling them and traded for the CFA ATLAS. That was a damn good decision on my part. More expensive. Yes. However the amount of enjoyment I get out of the Atlas is insane. I use them for 2 hrs every day to and from work commuting. And another thing. Bass. IO is way too lean for my tastes. Atlas is a punchy mid bass thunder dome. Lol.
We all like what we like.
I have and love the Atlas. Both very different and viable. They both do treble well, but very differently. Atlas, IMHO, should have never gone out of retail production (I think Drop still sells them), it is too good at its specialty, and I'm not certain it has been properly replaced from what I have seen in graphs about the other bassy Campfire Audio IEMs (I have another bassy Campfire IEM, the Mammoth, with the nicer upper mids, but the Atlas is subjectively superior to *me*, especially because of the much nicer highs-*seems* to me the other options are "spiky" but without air, though I admit I haven't personally heard the Vega, Vega 2020, Dorado, Dorado II, Cascara, etc. Love that the Atlas has lots of resolution and air despite being a bass-focused IEM.) IO does have a treble that extends slightly better, but does have some "dangerous" spikes if you are treble-sensitive, and the bass being less energetic can make it even more apparent.

The IO bass is improved with different cables and tips, though it will certainly never be an Atlas! The most problematic IO feature for a "normal only" individual would be the mid peak and subsequent dip, but even that is ameliorated via tips and *some* cable switching. I also have a higher tolerance for lovely treble extension than most, and it is very possible my ear canals hear differently than many others-or that simply I prefer treble energy. However I admit the mids are different enough than many won't adapt to the IO's own stock tonality, and if you had to choose *between* the IO and Atlas, it is not a difficult choice (trading up to the Atlas seems like a good idea, I just do not easily get rid of my IEMs! Also enjoy the IO's "uniqueness"-or "wonkiness" if you will.)

Apologies if I seem to be defending the "indefensible"-the IOs were not my first good (or "bad") IEM, I just simply enjoyed them then and now because of their strengths, never focusing on what wasn't their forte. Even after many other excellent headphones/earphones in my collection, I cannot come to hate them, even if I am supposed to if "I know audio" or know "what's better for me"-which evidently I don't. They were my introduction to Campfire Audio, though, and I would not have ever tried the Jupiter (I know it's hated on too!), Andromeda S, and Atlas were not for the humble IO. Not you of course, but it's cool to hate on this company, and I won't be part of that silly "movement." Enjoy what you do, let others listen what they will-no need for a cult-like hate on the different.

(No offense meant at all-the Atlas is a great IEM, IMHO.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back